IT Chapter 2

Giftheck

This comes out on my Birthday. i think I wilk reread the novel in preparation. Course every time I read IT I end up hating Stanley Kubrick's the Shining even more.

Assuming the Shining and IT are in the same universe Kubrick's folly would not harm IT, however; Dr. SLEEP would be without an essential character. The aforementioned character having survived the events in IT only to he killed without saving the main character in the Shining. 

Yeah, I'm interested as to how Dr. Sleep turns out; whether it'll be a direct adaption of the novel or if it will keep continuity with the 1980 film.

Wikipedia says "While the film Doctor Sleep is a direct adaptation of King's novel, Flanagan said that Kubrick's The Shining would be acknowledged in part."

7 hours ago, Jay said:

Wikipedia says "While the film Doctor Sleep is a direct adaptation of King's novel, Flanagan said that Kubrick's The Shining would be acknowledged in part."

Kind of hard to do since Kubrick royally fucked up by killing the hero (Dick Hallorann) in  addition to not having clue about what the evil wanted. 

Oh well Dick saved Mike's dad before either films events

42 minutes ago, The Original said:

Book people seem to never understand movies.

What a fucking idiotic response.

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

You obviously don't understand Kubrick!

I understand King. And I understand you dont kill the hero without reason. 

Thankfully the fucker is dead and wont misinterpret another classic horror novel. 

5 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

He made it his own, which is what all great film makers do.

I agree. Most of the changes he made were improvements upon the source material

King certainly doesn't seem to understand movies very well, especially when it comes to adaptions of books

3 minutes ago, John said:

I agree. Most of the changes he made were improvements upon the source material

King certainly doesn't seem to understand movies very well, especially when it comes to adaptions of books

Sorry John you are quite wrong. The changes Kubrick made were those of a man? With limited understanding of horror.

Seriously the lowbrow didn't even understand that only Danny had the shine and that Jack was simply a tool. The ending of the book was so superior but I can't  fault kub. for having no way to film that. Technology was 15 years away.

Just now, Stefancos said:

Perhaps he wasn't interested in making a standard horror movie?

And he succeeded in not making one at all.

Its most "famous" scene has no connection to today's audiences. They have zero concept.

Here's Johnny. The bathroom scene was comical at best. 

9 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Its most "famous" scene has no connection to today's audiences. They have zero concept.

What do you mean by this? That the scene has been parodied so many times, modern audiences can't recall which film it's from? Or that the scene no longer holds the impact it once held?

14 minutes ago, John said:

What do you mean by this? That the scene has been parodied so many times, modern audiences can't recall which film it's from? Or that the scene no longer holds the impact it once held?

Do you get it?

6 minutes ago, The Original said:

I suppose if you enjoy all of King's convoluted world-building, but Kubrick knew to cut all that shit out.

You clearly never read the novel based on your post. 

25 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Do you get it? 

I suppose, if that is what you meant.

But should that not considered a pro in the case of any film? When it has become so thoroughly embedded in mainstream culture that it is quoted and referenced by people who haven't seen it?

4 minutes ago, John said:

I suppose, if that is what you meant.

But should that not considered a pro in the case of any film? When it has become so thoroughly embedded in mainstream culture that it is quoted and referenced by people who haven't seen it?

I don't think many here ever saw The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson live. You would have to be born 1985-ish at best to have seen it in context. 

Its sort of the same as when Clark Kent looks at the small phone kiosk in Superman the Movie.Both scenes are now oddities. 

Believe it or not, but in 1980, Johnny Carson didn't mean a thing in Europe. The scene was striking on its own. 

hosseindiba-heres-johnny-the-shi-1-efbba

It's probably my favorite Kubrick film, and one of my favorites ever made.  I have known diehard Stephen King fans that love both the novel and the movie, it's not like a foregone conclusion that you have to like one or the other.

Didn’t realize they got such a top notch cast for this. Will check out the first one now. 

The trailer is comical though with the naked grandma dancing around. Feels like something out of Scary Movie. 

By deciding to split the book into 2 films, and having the first film only be the 80's storyline, saving the modern storyline for the sequel, they guaranteed that if it was a success they could get bigger names for the kids' adult versions in film 2.  Pretty clever actually

I like that the film will keep the murder of the gay man as the reason for Pennywise waking up from his hibernation

17 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I agree with Alex! The Johnny Carson quote isn't why that scene is so effective.

The scene was responsible for putting Johnny Carson on the map outside The States. Everyone asked:

• 2 months later...

Excellent. Stephen King's greatest horror novel now complete on the big screen.

I'm definitely going to skip this. Don't see anything alluring about it. The trailer feels more like a warning that says: Don't watch this crap!

Don't.  It's simple the 2nd half adaption of perhaps the great horror novel of all time. Its clearly too sophisticated for you. Its themes are outside your scope. 

Chapter One was bad too. Outside the sewer scene (see gif), It even failed to be scary or horrifying. Chapter 2 looks to be even worse.

73766af507b2e9ef1ad36aebd6f19d17.gif

I never cared for the 80s/90s TV miniseries (especially the adult half), but we really liked the theatrical Part 1, so we will see this and hope it lives up to that.