Do you own an album by John Williams the guitarist?

Jurassic Shark

Do you own an album by John Williams the guitarist?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own an album by John Williams the guitarist?

I've got his Sony recording of Rodrigo's Concerto de Aranjuez, with Eugene Ormandy conducting the Philadelphians. I'm not much of an Ormandy fan, but this one is really good. Tempi are spot on!

39 minutes ago, Richard said:

Yes. Several, and every single Sky record.

What's the best Sky record?

Alas, no. But I think I have a few tracks here and there, like "Cavatina", obviously. I think I had his film music album at some point.

Did he ever compose anything himself?

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Didn't he compose the theme from Schindler's List? :sarcasm:

He, he. But in all seriousness, I do think it's the only time the two Williamses intersected, since the guitarist performed SCHINDLER'S LIST on the "Plays the Movies" album. I can't think of any other instance. Nothing against Christopher Parkening, who is one of the alltime greats, but not using JW the guitarist on STEPMOM was kinda a missed opportunity, IMO.

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

not using JW the guitarist on STEPMOM was kinda a missed opportunity, IMO.

It would have been a complete chaos! Guitar Williams would have ended up conducting, while John T. would have had to play the guitar.

I do not and I'm pretty sure I've never even heard any of his music before

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I do not and I'm pretty sure I've never even heard any of his music before

I don't think he writes music. I have a few of his albums, and I saw him give a recital. Wonderful player. 

I have The Magic Box - music from Africa; John Williams Plays the Movies, which has his previously arrangement of Schinder's List; The Seville Concert; and The Essential John Williams. 

You might have heard him perform Stanley Myers' Cavatina, also previously mentioned, which was used in The Deer Hunter, but was written several years earlier for a different film

On 5/10/2019 at 10:10 AM, Thor said:

Did he ever compose anything himself?

I believe he composed the music for the Lee Remick film Emma's War (1987), the score for which I have occasionally seen listed incorrectly in filmographies for 'our' John Williams.  I saw the opening of the film once and the music credit says something like Music composed & played by guitarist John Williams.

EDIT:  I hadn't remembered that Doug Willis off of Neighbours was in it.