New article: Williams "has so far written about 25 minutes of score in about a month" for The Rise of Skywalker

Not Mr. Big

On 5/11/2019 at 1:43 PM, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Fingers crossed for a whizz-bang of a Rey's Theme variation when she hops over Kylo's ship!

I do think Williams will write such a variation... but it will not sound the way most are expecting.

On 5/13/2019 at 10:28 AM, Larry O said:

Of course, any assumption helps allow for surprise when expectations are subverted, too. And I'm more than open to that. 

Good... because I'm sure that TROS (the film and score) will be full of 'subverted expectation' moments. We are in for quite a ride!

3 hours ago, Mattris said:

Good... because I'm sure that TROS (the film and score) will be full of 'subverted expectation' moments. We are in for quite a ride!

go back to your thread 

1 hour ago, John said:

go back to your thread 

and..."fall into the nothingness that awaits you and the fandom", I suppose you were going to say, right?

Or am I in the wrong franchise again?

5 hours ago, Mattris said:

I do think Williams will write such a variation... but it will not sound the way most are expecting.

Were you at the sessions? Just would like to know how you figure that?

2 hours ago, Balahkay said:

Would be better if it was 25 minutes total of concert pieces.

At least the new themes are written.

1 hour ago, Fabulin said:

So now it is Fabulin who is bullin' huh?

No, no. I think you're fine!

14 minutes ago, pete said:

At least the new themes are written.

I'd assume so, yes. Perhaps not concert suites (potentially eventually) but demos or sketches. There's that new Jannah lady that some have supposed may get a theme. 

16 hours ago, Arpy said:

Were you at the sessions? Just would like to know how you figure that?

Well, the sessions haven't taken place yet. But I've familiarized myself with the substantive events of the films and canon material... and formulated what I (firmly) believe will be the plot of IX. If I'm right, TROS will be... quite surprising to nearly everyone.

3 hours ago, Tom said:

It is now down to 12 minutes.  Turns out the first big chuck was for West Side Story.  He had begun scoring and then told Spielberg that "you are going to need a better composer than me for this."  To which Spielberg said, "okay." 

To which JW replied "That's OK, I always wanted to be a professional golfer anyway!"

• 5 months later...

Hard to believe he already had 25 minutes of music back in May! He must have seen a rough cut almost as soon as filming wrapped.

Worth remembering this article was posted 183 days ago. If JW is still recording the score or recently finished, that's a hell of a lot of music even if he was averaging just 1 minute per day (potentially 208 minutes if he's still writing).

I wouldn’t be surprised if weren’t still making some modifications/edits to the film at this point. I doubt it’s anything major but who knows with JJ on board. If it’s any indication, we know the score for TFA was being worked on into November in 2015. TLJ had been in the can for months at this point in 2017.

31 minutes ago, Balahkay said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if weren’t still making some modifications/edits to the film at this point. I doubt it’s anything major but who knows with JJ on board. If it’s any indication, we know the score for TFA was being worked on into November in 2015. TLJ had been in the can for months at this point in 2017.

JJ is busy tracking music from Lost.

58 minutes ago, Balahkay said:

Wasn't JJ doing reshoots in September? I would be shocked if JW isn't still writing new cues, personally. How can they add entirely new scenes to the film only a month back and not require new music to be written?

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

I don't think they are recording anything by now, they probably are on the mastering/mixing phase. Maybe the OST is being assembled by now? 

It's kinda weird there's not even a pre-order up for the soundtrack though. It's possible they're stuck in a last minute recording marathon finalising the score after all the reshoots in September. Even TFA, which wasn't shooting anywhere near this close to release, had recording sessions in mid-November. 

It seems the film will be workshopped and recut within an inch of its life right up until the last possible second, which means there’ll be hacked and tracked music all over the place.

But that shouldn’t prevent Disney from having a release date announced for the OST. The fact that there isn’t one yet is really surprising to me. 

A feature in yesterday's paper about Anthony Daniels' new memoir noted that (as of the interview date) he was still getting calls from J.J. asking him to record new lines into his iPhone and send them along to drop into the movie.  I guess this is more doable when your character's voice is supposed to be filtered through a tiny, tinny speaker.  But as long as there's a new statement of the droid motif behind it, I don't care if it's recorded on a Talkboy. B-)

11 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Maybe it will happen just like Goldsmith's Star Trek: The Motion Picture, with music being recorded until few days before the premiere.

No we can't let JW get a heart attack... :(

;)

1 hour ago, igger6 said:

A feature in yesterday's paper about Anthony Daniels' new memoir noted that (as of the interview date) he was still getting calls from J.J. asking him to record new lines into his iPhone and send them along to drop into the movie.  I guess this is more doable when your character's voice is supposed to be filtered through a tiny, tinny speaker.  But as long as there's a new statement of the droid motif behind it, I don't care if it's recorded on a Talkboy. B-)

The iPhone recordings are most likely temp audio for the duration of the editing process, then a proper ADR session would be booked in at the end to do all the lines together properly.

If the rumors going around are to be believed, they're making several cuts to the film to accommodate the response from poor test screenings - that could mean cutting music, tracking and another nightmare for Williams. 

7 hours ago, crumbs said:

Since when did Disney have test screenings for Star Wars? Seems more likely the haters on YouTube are just trying to create clickbait. 

I never said I personally believed them, just that there are rumours floating around! 

On test screenings, Disney, Marvel and most other studios do conduct test screenings with selected audiences who fit the right demographics - Avengers Endgame, for instance, had test screenings, so it's nothing special or controversial.