Mike Matessino: Williams begins work on Episode 9 "this summer"

crumbs

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The one with the blue people who shoot arrows?

Or the one with the kid with a blue arrow on his head?

15 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Such as?

You know my outlook on scoring in general, which is that you cannot seperate your impression of the film from that of the music. They're intristically connected, and even on album, the score is little more than a souvenir of the film.

If a film is great, it make a good score (Braveheart) seem better than it is on its own right. If a film isn't terribly good, it can make the score seem worst than it really is (Attack of the Clones) on its own right.

Should episode IX be ho-hum (which I of course hope it isn't) that'll undoubtedly affect one's impression of the score.

There may have been times when I've experienced that feeling  @Chen G.although it's never stopped me from enjoying the score removed from the contextual shackles of the film.

In my experience of Attack of the Clones, it's the score that actually boosts my enjoyment of the film and separate from it because clearly Williams conveyed a greater understanding of the characters and story than Lucas did.

2 hours ago, Chen G. said:

You know my outlook on scoring in general, which is that you cannot seperate your impression of the film from that of the music. They're intristically connected, and even on album, the score is little more than a souvenir of the film.

If a film is great, it make a good score (Braveheart) seem better than it is on its own right. If a film isn't terribly good, it can make the score seem worst than it really is (Attack of the Clones) on its own right.

Should episode IX be ho-hum (which I of course hope it isn't) that'll undoubtedly affect one's impression of the score.

Completely agree. I find myself refusing to listen to or buy Wyatt Earp because I keep being rmeinded about that boring movie, while I immediately bought Home Alone, even though I don't like every cue, because the movie was so amusing.

To me, the whole point of an album of a score - particularly one based on recurring themes - is that it is a souvenir of the film.

When I listen to a piece, it conjures up images of the film, and listening to the piece as a whole one can experience the film is one's own mind, which is quite the experience.

Obviously, therefore, the effectiveness of the album depends to no small degree on how good the images it conjures up are. Therefore, the impression of the film crosses over into the impression of the album, inevitably.

59 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

So you never listen to a score you haven't seen the film off?

Not anymore. I used to have Patrick Doyle's entire discography, but just couldn't enjoy the music the same way I enjoyed music of which I knew the story. I need/want context to really enjoy a score. The Doyle albums are gone now and I haven't ever missed a single one.

I usually try to watch the film for context after a handful of listens, if it's rated well enough - and I haven't delved into scores for stinkers much yet. But Memoirs of a Geisha is one instance where I absolutely don't feel like watching it could add to the experience I had listening to the OST.

When it's both a film and score I love dearly, however, finding out exactly which bars, textures and theme statements underscore exactly what onscreen, and even explore early intentions the same way is usually definitely half the fun of the whole thing! In the case of Alien, on the other hand, it was changed/butchered enough in film that I can divorce the Intrada main program into Jerry Goldsmith's Alien: a symphonic suite for specially extended orchestra inspired by the hit motion picture, not a 1:1 copy of the film as is the case with something like HP1 or Star Wars.

10 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Not anymore. I used to have Patrick Doyle's entire discography, but just couldn't enjoy the music the same way I enjoyed music of which I knew the story. I need/want context to really enjoy a score. The Doyle albums are gone now and I haven't ever missed a single one.

Why didn't you watch the films that Doyle's scores belong in?

2 minutes ago, Holko said:

I usually try to watch the film for context after a handful of listens, if it's rated well enough - and I haven't delved into scores for stinkers much yet. But Memoirs of a Geisha is one instance where I absolutely don't feel like watching it could add to the experience I had listening to the OST.

It's a decent film. Way better than Avatar.

9 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

The main thing is that Williams will probably have to write more often with IX than I’m guessing he did for TFA and TLJ, where I think the longer schedules must have afforded him plenty of time off. I feel like the luxury of the schedules would be that he had extra time to not write, or to work on other things. 

Didn’t he do BFG in just a few months like always? He knows the drill. He’s already cutting conducting dates this year, which may or may not be related. If he really wants to do it, he’ll do it. 

I haven't heard anything about him conducting in 2019, let alone canceling. Had any concerts already been confirmed for this year?

25 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Why didn't you watch the films that Doyle's scores belong in?

It's a decent film. Way better than Avatar.

Because my Doyle phase took place during the dark days before I could access any movie I wanted to watch with audio description.

8 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Are you kidding? TESB was written in a few weeks. A few months for a score is actually very generous, scheduling wise.

Also, considering what happened to Solo its extremely unlikely they will push Ep 9 to spring or summer. 

Williams was also nearly 40 years younger as well when he wrote TESB.  I was under the impression he was requiring more time to write/record SW scores nowadays.  I mean, he started working on TLJ at least a year before it was released.  With IX, he'll have at least 6 months to work.

He didn't work on TFA and TLJ for a year non-stop. JW scored the film in sections, and did loads of revisions as the film edit progressed. 

6 months for a single film is still a hell of a lot of time 

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 6:16 AM, Stefancos said:

Also, considering what happened to Solo its extremely unlikely they will push Ep 9 to spring or summer

I don't think the release date of Solo was the greatest cause of its subpar reception. The production should have been given more time, and Disney's marketing team should have shown a little more faith.

13 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

I always just make up stories in my head when I listen to scores, even when they’re from movies I like. 

17 minutes ago, Docteur Qui said:

I like to pretend that TFA ended a bit more like this. Here's hoping for a unique ending for episode IX

That works surprisingly well. I hope to god Ep 9 doesn't end with yet another Binary Sunset rendition.