The Rise of Skywalker score begins recording in June 2019

Disco Stu

Very cool! I wonder if it will all be in the one session, or this will be the first of a few?

Great interview as well, Sandy sounds like a riot! I love the story of her screaming during the Jaws sessions!

One composer said to me, “I don’t want any women in the orchestra.” That was a gas. I said, “Really? I guess I’ll have to send you some.” [ Laughs.] 

And he said, “No, I meant that.” ”Why,” I said, “that’s not going to happen.”

Definitely Williams.

9 minutes ago, Docteur Qui said:

“C’mon baby, come to the session baby”

Obviously we know Williams calls men “baby” too so he’s not a sexist, just a pervert.

That was an interesting interview! Thanks for sharing that Stu!

And I am sure a person who has done 1100 films has a story or two to tell, especially when working with 43 composers in her heyday. 

1 hour ago, Tom said:

There would be something satisfying about Williams recording what he thinks should be the whole score in June and telling JJ on the way out: "That's the score.  You're welcome." 

Oh no, John Williams wouldn't do that to "angel baby" Abrams. He is much too accommodating and a professional. I am sure he will, as usual, rewrite stuff if he is given enough time for revisions.

49 minutes ago, artguy360 said:

This interview also confirms all the re-writing that went on during TFA. 

Did you think that was a rumor?

1 hour ago, mrbellamy said:

Obviously we know Williams calls men “baby” too so he’s not a sexist, just a pervert

Usually he prefaces "baby" with their name, though! Don't turn away from the truth! 

I feel like 25 could fill a session but surely he’ll have more in a month. 

24 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Who says all the music will be recorded in June? The previous two films had multiple sessions.

Well I agree. Was responding to Docteur Qui wondering if they might be doing the whole score. 

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

But isn't 25 minutes of music too little to do a recording session?

Interview with Williams took place a month ago, so now it's about 50 minutes. We can assume that in a month he will have 70-80 minutes of music written. As the sessions will probably take all summer, and the music in a Star Wars movie lasts about 120 minutes, Williams certainly has everything planned and under control.

1 minute ago, Pawel P. said:

he music in a Star Wars movie last about 120 minutes

Yeah, but the editing process on these newer films is more fluid, resulting in rewriting quite a few cues, so for a 120-minute film, you often end up with up a 160 minutes of written music.

1 hour ago, Pawel P. said:

I'm sure he takes that into account. He will still have plenty of time.

Oh, surely.

What I mean is that when we estimate that Williams has written 50 minutes or so, that isn't the same as saying that there's 50 minutes of score "locked" to the picture. He'll need to write a lot more than 120 minutes, I wager, and he can't write all 120 minutes at one go, either, because he's probably watching this film one reel at a time.

Such a great story, I loved hearing Sandy's journey to where she is now, definitely inspiring for anyone interested in the field. I'm also jealous - getting to work with all those amazing artists!

Here's hoping Williams can finish the score! You go Johnny!

58 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Here's hoping Williams can finish the score! You go Johnny!

That's GRR Martin you're thinking about right there. ;)

It seems Williams shows no signs of slowing down. I'm holding out for what I hope would be one of his very best.

Any way you cut it, it is a huge achievement.  I have been underwhelmed by the Disney SW-product, but I hope for Williams' sake, IX goes out on a high-note.  And, why not make the pun intended. 

2 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Judged holistically, I think SW is the greater achievement but it's apples and oranges really. 

With the Bond scores Barry practically created a (sub)genre of music. Which might be a greater achievement that what Williams did with SW.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

That phrase is a plague upon this forum!  Tis as like hot needles upon mine eyes!

Screenshot 2019-05-17 at 12.59.17.png

Comparing the forum's use of phrases to the plague is like comparing apples and oranges. 

44 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

John Barry scored 11 Bond movies.

Of course I know he did. I have all his Bond scores in my CD collection.

The Danish composer Bent Fabricius-Bjerre wrote music for about 20 Olsen Gang movies, if not more. But three trilogies written in over 40 years... I guess nothing can compare with that.

I think the difference is that Star Wars tells a unified story, as opposed to Bond where each entry is its own story.

The one's a cycle, the other - an anthology; and that extends to the role of the music. John's achievement is mostly in the composition of multiple leitmotives and their development across such a long-form of a work. That doesn't happen with Bond because there is no through-development from entry to entry.

Its more comparable to Howard Shore's Middle Earth work (with less entries but at an overall similar length and scope, and greater intricacy) and Wagner's Ring Cycle, the shortest but perhaps most intricate of the three.

Its a great achievement however you look at it. Even within the original hexalogy, there hasn't been one director, writer, editor, cinematographer or art director throughout - but there has been one and only composer, minus the odd diegetic piece.

2 hours ago, Tom said:

Comparing the forum's use of phrases to the plague is like comparing apples and oranges. 

He could have complained more.

18 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Excellent interview!

11 hours ago, Pawel P. said:

Interview with Williams took place a month ago, so now it's about 50 minutes. We can assume that in a month he will have 70-80 minutes of music written.

That's assuming he already has that much of the film to score. The sessions might be spaced out like they were with TFA.

13 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

But isn't 25 minutes of music too little to do a recording session?

According to the DeCrescent interview, they should fill two 3 hour blocks just fine.