The Rise of Skywalker score begins recording in June 2019

Disco Stu

On 5/19/2019 at 8:18 PM, Cerebral Cortex said:

While Ifukube worked a lot with Honda, certainly, Ifukube scored multiple entries in the franchise under different directors. For example, the last Godzilla film Ifukube scored, Godzilla vs. Destoroyah, was made after Honda's death and existed within an entirely different series of Godzilla films. Much like how Williams had an extended period of time scoring the prequel trilogy strictly under Lucas (and concluding Star Wars) before then coming back to conclude the saga again with the sequel films entirely without Lucas, Ifukube started out scoring the films under Honda's direction and concluding the first series of Godzilla films before then coming back and concluding the second series of films made totally devoid of Honda's presence (Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah, Godzilla vs. Mothra, Godzilla vs. Destoroyah, etc).

I just listened to a Ifukube theme compilation. Everything sounds pretty much like a variation of the same theme with the original Godzilla theme being the best one.I'll probably never listen to that album again

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/19/2019 at 9:53 PM, Chen G. said:

That Kylo has two themes to represent the two sides of his personality is clear: Williams said as much, and the themes emerge in different parts of the narrative and develop for a while apart from each other.

As for three themes (not to mention a variant of one, attached to the First Order), I think that's a bit of a stretch, but again, its subjective. Part of my issue is for that very reason: that once you split every tune into three or more components, its often hard for each one to retain a thematic function distinct from the others. So, if one theme is for Kylo's evil, and the other is for his inner conflict, what than is a third film intended for?

Yes Kylo has 2 motifs only. Not even full theme. That third lower string line is associated with the insecure Kylo Men motif. It can be played by itself, but the association is with that motif and not the Evil Self Assured motif. It's like playing the rhythmic part of The Imperial March without stating the actual theme itself. You still associate it with that, but it's not a separate entity. At least this is how I see it.