The Phantom Menace is 20 years old.

I remember staying up late the night before to read all the spoilers so that I would know everything that happens. I remember really liking the score. And I remember going to the theater to see it with my favorite ex-girlfriend. Our senior year of high school. 

Of course not. They gave us the Ultimate Expanded or Ultimate Collectors or something lame. We poo pood it. We get to wait for Mike to get around to it. 

I saw it in the cinemas a kid, and I distinctly remember everyone I knew as well as the general public, being wowed by it when it first came out, especially due to the hype. The music played a big part in that too, as soon as the classic fanfare started and the title screen appeared, there was an uproarious response from the audience that I haven't seen in a theater before or after. It wasn't until years later and everything had cooled off, did we notice the clear flaws the film had.

I do appreciate The Phantom Menace a bit, especially for being the only one of the prequels to use a lot of practicals. It also reminds me of a more innocent time, and it along with the original trilogy played a large part in me developing my love for film music. I wanted to get the soundtrack of the film, but was disappointed when I couldn't find it anywhere at the time.  

9 minutes ago, The Original said:

Every generation has a legend...

Yes, because the kids who saw TPM in the theater should be the generation taking their kids to see Ep 9.

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

For the first time MTV had good music!

What an incredibly incorrect Statement.

You are so wrong that it is laughable. 

You must sterilize, sterilize...

I was looking for a kind of swordfighting that was reminiscent of what was in the movies we'd already done, but a more energized version of it, because we'd actually never seen real Jedis at work. We'd only seen crippled half/droid, half/men and young boys who'd learned from these old people.

I remember being in Malta when this (and The Mummy) opened. Had a rollicking good time with the second, was not really annoyed but more puzzled after i saw TPM the second night: why would anyone watch that? (let alone make it) 

I must have seen it in theaters since I was about 10 but really have no memory of going or it making any impression on me. We owned the DVD but I rarely put the movie on. I did get obsessed with the making-of doc at some point, long before Plinkett made it a meme. I have some nostalgia for that, even though I don’t know the movie itself well at all. I rewatched the film with fresh eyes before Force Awakens came out. It’s whatever, George is alright in my book. The score rules obviously and it’s cool that the history of JWFan begins with it so happy bday :beerchug:

8 hours ago, John said:

The best of the prequels! I’ll always have a soft spot for it. 

Agreed! Best of the prequels, hands down. And obviously the best of the prequel scores as well. Can't believe it's been 20 years already. Craziness.

Saw it when I was really young (I believe Qui-Gon's death was the first live-action death scene I witnessed), and it remained the only Star Wars film I've seen until 2014.

Although by the time I revisited it I  could only recall very little of it: again, Qui-Gon's death, I remebered there was a boy named Skywalker, and that's about it.

I think that, for an action-adventure film, it does action and adventure quite well, so I'm willing to forgive some its storytelling deficiencies. I don't think its the best prequel, but its hardly the worse.

This is one that feels like twenty years ago to me, it feels like a long time ago in my life, when things were very different to how they are now. Aye, the more formative movie anniversary for me will be the nearing twenty years one of Fellowship of the Ring. That was a more seminal benchmark in my own moviegoing life. 

9 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

You weren't on JWfan in the early years right? There was a LOT to do about TPM back in the day here.

No, I didn't even get online till 5-6 years later. Which is when...

5 minutes ago, The Original said:

I even ripped the missing music from the PC game using instructions found here. That was fun! Never done that since.

... I announced myself proper here by sharing the Ride of the Rohirrim 'film edit' cue, which I'd ripped from the Battle for Middle-Earth video game. Back then I used to also enjoy arguing a lot with Joey and Alexcremers. Then Koray Savas Mk1 came on the scene not long after. Remember him?

23 minutes ago, Quintus said:

ye, the more formative movie anniversary for me will be the nearing twenty years one of Fellowship of the Ring

Yeah. Like I said, The Phantom Menace in 1999 was a blur to me. Fellowship, two years later, was a film I always recalled in detail.