The Phantom Menace is 20 years old.

18 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Back in 2000, sharing unreleased TPM music was as big, bigger than sharing unreleased LOTR music.

Goes without saying, 'specially on a site which was founded on John Williams, and The Phantom Menace soundtrack specifically.

A lot of high profile soundtrack CDs came with extra CD-ROMs back then (or CD-ROM material on the disc itself). HARRY POTTER 1, for example. Strange that TPM didn't.

1 minute ago, Thor said:

A lot of high profile soundtrack CDs came with extra CD-ROMs back then (or CD-ROM material on the disc itself). HARRY POTTER 1, for example. Strange that TPM didn't.

ROTS came with that nice music video DVD. I still watch that sometimes.

I never saw the film in its original theatrical run, I wasn’t born yet, but I did see it with my dad when it was re-released in 3D in 2012. 

Kid me thought it was the best thing ever. I still have a lot of nostalgia towards it. 

I dunno, perhaps it’s not such a bad film. 

1 hour ago, John said:

I never saw the film in its original theatrical run, I wasn’t born yet, but I did see it with my dad when it was re-released in 3D in 2012. 

Kid me thought it was the best thing ever. I still have a lot of nostalgia towards it. 

Nostalgia is a powerful thing, and it's something more aged viewers can't attribute much to the prequels. The older, first Star Wars movies though, come easily. Somewhere in the mix, there's also subjectivity and objectivity.

1 hour ago, John said:

I have that with The Wizard Of Oz. I dunno, perhaps it's not such a bad film either.

29 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Its why The Goonies is seen as a masterpiece by some.

Compared to TPM it is a masterpiece. But in the grand scale its just a terrific B film that calls to the kid in all of use (well those of us who still can channel that aspect). 

8 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

The Goonies wasnt a true B film. It was a big budget A list movie produced by Spielberg.

It had a A list budget but its story is pure B film with B list actors. 

Just now, Fabulin said:

I watched the Goonies recently and it's just weak. There is nothing interesting about this movie. Compared to it TPM is a masterpiece.

Nope

I got about 20 minutes into it. It's just a bunch of annoying kids nonstop screeching over each other in very unappealing messy locations.

I'm skimming threads here, so didn't quite catch why we're suddenly on to THE GOONIES now. It's one of the few 80s kiddie classics that 'slipped away' when I was a kid; didn't see it untill I was grown up. A fine film, but obviously easier to see its flaws when it's not steeped in nostalgia.

I was 22 when TPM came out, so no nostalgic connection to that either, really. I remember writing a long defense article of the film when it came out (on the first incarnation of my website), and I've kinda been defending it ever since.

The Episode One tone poems predicted the outcome of the PT.

One will for Padme, "What if dreams came true", one love, learn to let go, fear is the ally of the dark side etc.

14 hours ago, Thor said:

... didn't quite catch why we're suddenly on to THE GOONIES now.

Suddenly? This is JWFan, where it's always been considered one of the best movies ever made. I don't agree with that (to put it mildly) but I guess I'm one of JWFan's rebels. 

I only saw it once though, and that was when it opened in theatres. Maybe it's one of those movies you have to watch multiple times before its brilliance shows itself.

14 hours ago, Stefancos said:

The Goonies, BTTF, Ghostbusters. All brilliant films!

Of those three I would pick Back To The Future. It's a movie that I enjoyed at the time, but it's not nothing I want to put on my wall, so to speak.

14 hours ago, Thor said:

easier to see its flaws when it's not steeped in nostalgia.

That's true of any film aimed at or experienced by kids and young teens.

4 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Suddenly? This is JWFan, where it's always been considered one of the best movies ever made. I don't agree with that (to put it mildly) but I guess I'm one of JWFan's rebels. 

Well, I guess we're both 'rebels' that way, but we hardly ever agree on anything, so that's pretty impressive right there! :)

However, we do sort of agree on THE GOONIES. There is a long list of 80s kiddie films I would put ahead of that, whether I saw them as a kid or later in life.

Do name them. That will prove to be a hoot.

50 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Nukie

Mac and Me

Purple People Eater

Your embarrassment is sad.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

There is a long list of 80s kiddie films I would put ahead of that, whether I saw them as a kid or later in life.

I'll start! (at the risk of being banned from JWFan!)

- E.T.

- Stand By Me

- The Karate Kid

- The Journey of Natty Gann

- Never Cry Wolf

- Back To The Future

The Goonies captures that childhood feeling of exploration, along with the dream that the exploration could turn into an adventure!

The Phantom Menace is 20 years old this week, and it captures the childhood feeling of insidious politicians working angles and creating meaningless conflict to gain power.