The Phantom Menace is 20 years old.

4 minutes ago, The Original said:

Is BTTF really a kiddie flick? To me now it feels like a high school comedy with a touch of sci-fi.

None of the movies I've listed are exclusively for little kiddies. 

BTTF is notoriously overrated but nevertheless a good film. 

5 minutes ago, mstrox said:

They're for the whole family!!

That depends on the mental development of the parents. When it comes to culture, many people never mature beyond the age of 16. 

Maybe they should add a disclaimer to the start of the film.  That way when people are still watching it in 2346 they'll get the proper context.

"This movie is timeless and beloved across generations but it is NOT a masterpiece though"

Its got Huey Lewis in it so it can't be that great

I don't rewatch movies often, but I certainly watched BTTF plenty as a kid.  Even then, when I do watch, that Huey Lewis song at the beginning takes me by surprise.  I just don't remember its existence. Very forgettable.

Just now, mstrox said:

Even then, when I do watch, that Huey Lewis song at the beginning takes me by surprise.  I just don't remember its existence. Very forgettable.

The Power of Love?  They still play that 10 times a day on the oldies station over here.

22 hours ago, Thor said:

I was 22 when TPM came out, so no nostalgic connection to that either, really. I remember writing a long defense article of the film when it came out (on the first incarnation of my website), and I've kinda been defending it ever since.

Wow Thor, never would have thought you are younger than me. :)

I actually prefer the E.T. ride to the movie.

Back to the Future isn't a kiddie movie but like Ghostbusters, Indiana Jones, Rambo etc. kids were attracted to it. Back then, movies were more accessible to a wider audience because they weren't infantile like today's entertainment. Now, adults are watching these obvious kiddie movies when they aren't for them.

I didn't really get to watch it during its original theatre run. I only got to see ROTS in the cinema. But I remember getting to watch it at home and falling in love with it. I loved the prequels as a kid, because they were my introduction into the fantasy of Star Wars. Though even then, I found TPM testing my patience. Too much talking.

12 minutes ago, Ghostbusters II said:

Now, adults are watching these obvious kiddie movies when they aren't for them.

I'll tell you a secret: these movies weren't made by kids either.

Well Goonies has Thanos and sam wise and short round

1 minute ago, KK said:

I didn't really get to watch it during its original theatre run. I only got to see ROTS in the cinema. But I remember getting to watch it at home and falling in love with it. I loved the prequels as a kid, because they were my introduction into the fantasy of Star Wars. Though even then, I found TPM testing my patience. Too much talking.

Going to the cinema to watch ROTS in 2005 was like visiting your dying nan for the last time. Despite the fact she's barely recognisable as the person you once knew.

1 minute ago, The Original said:

But it is a bit weird seeing grown men get excited over Disney cartoons meant for little girls.

Its not dissimilar to grown men becoming devoted fans of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic!

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Going to the cinema to watch ROTS in 2005 was like visiting your dying nan for the last time. Despite the fact she's barely recognisable as the person you once knew.

But...but...there were lightsabers! And the Force! And Jedi!! And clone troopers and stuff!! It was so COOL man!!!!

4 minutes ago, The Original said:

But it is a bit weird seeing grown men get excited over Disney cartoons meant for little girls.

I'm surrounded by it on a daily basis.

Just now, Ghostbusters II said:

I'm surrounded by it on a daily basis.

I worked with a neckbeard programmer once who had girly Disney stickers plastered all over his travel bag. Made me wanna gag.

For some reason the Disney logo is like some seal of approval that makes it socially acceptable for adult men to rave on about their 90s nostalgia for Disney princesses. That company really fucked up a whole generation.

The 80s kinda fucked up a whole generation. It was a pretty ugly decade overall. A whole lot of angry, repressed, socially accepted 'phobic behaviors were not just born, but promoted in that decade, especially for a generation of men who are very obviously having problems dealing with the progress of time now in the present day. It was an especially bad decade when it came to inappropriate "children's" entertainment. They made Saturday Morning Cartoons out of Rambo and Robocop, for example. People still think Ghostbusters is a kids movie to this day despite the fact nobody involved gave a single shit about "the kids" when they made it. Hence the blowjob joke, for one.

There's not really any quantifiable difference between a 40 year old man having a desk full of Master of the Universe toys and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle statues (or, to be most obvious here, any amount of Star Wars collectibles) and another 40 year old man having Pocahontas, Little Mermaid, and Beauty and the Beast merch visible at their workplace. You're discussing arrested development in either case. It just comes in different flavors, that's all.

Also, a lot of grown adults probably like a lot of current kids movies because in many instances the people making children's entertainment are putting more thought, effort, and energy into the storytelling than the stuff intended solely for adults.

Anyway, The Phantom Menace is a very poorly directed and edited film, and 20 years hasn't changed that fact.

7 minutes ago, Larry O said:

The 80s kinda fucked up a whole generation. It was a pretty ugly decade overall. A whole lot of angry, repressed, socially accepted 'phobic behaviors were not just born, but promoted in that decade, especially for a generation of men who are very obviously having problems dealing with the progress of time now in the present day. It was an especially bad decade when it came to inappropriate "children's" entertainment. They made Saturday Morning Cartoons out of Rambo and Robocop, for example. People still think Ghostbusters is a kids movie to this day despite the fact nobody involved gave a single shit about "the kids" when they made it. Hence the blowjob joke, for one.

There's not really any quantifiable difference between a 40 year old man having a desk full of Master of the Universe toys and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle statues (or, to be most obvious here, any amount of Star Wars collectibles) and another 40 year old man having Pocahontas, Little Mermaid, and Beauty and the Beast merch visible at their workplace. You're discussing arrested development in either case. It just comes in different flavors, that's all.

Also, a lot of grown adults probably like a lot of current kids movies because in many instances the people making children's entertainment are putting more thought, effort, and energy into the storytelling than the stuff intended solely for adults.

Anyway, The Phantom Menace is a very poorly directed and edited film, and 20 years hasn't changed that fact.

Thank you!

26 minutes ago, Larry O said:

What a disturbing mistake of a post. Not fit to line a birdcage.

No fabo its a bad film with good moments and a terrific score. 

27 minutes ago, Larry O said:

Yes.

27 minutes ago, Larry O said:

The 80s kinda fucked up a whole generation. It was a pretty ugly decade overall.

Like with all decades, there was the good, and there was the pathetic.

Some nearly 60 year old has this on his desk. Had to take down the Pennywise clown, it scared people.

20190521_130929.jpg