I Found It: Fanfare for Dukakis

Not Mr. Big

Conducted by Heney Kissinger, apparently? 

Great find, but I understand why Williams never felt the desire to bring this one up ever. Proof that not everything he touched in those years was gold.

But maybe we need a poll to decide which piece is better: Fanfare for Dukakis, or Air and Simple Gifts....

That video was found and shared here several years ago, but understandable that it may have passed people by, since it's not STAR WARS or HARRY POTTER stuff:

Although the piece isn't among Williams' best, it's made worse by the terrible performance (like a school marching band!). I don't think conductor Harry Ellis Dickson -- associate director of the Boston Pops at the time, and who commisioned Williams for it, since he's the father of Kitty Dukakis, Michael's wife -- is to be blamed too much. Williams could not conduct himself, as he was out all 1988 with a back injury.

5 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

But maybe we need a poll to decide which piece is better: Fanfare for Dukakis, or Air and Simple Gifts....

There's no competition.  I love "Air and Simple Gifts," a wonderful little piece.  It's Williams doing a Copland tribute so I'm required to like it.

6 hours ago, Thor said:

That video was found and shared here several years ago, but understandable that it may have passed people by, since it's not STAR WARS or HARRY POTTER stuff:

Oh no!  My beautiful thread title will be destroyed!

7 hours ago, Thor said:

That video was found and shared here several years ago, but understandable that it may have passed people by, since it's not STAR WARS or HARRY POTTER

An it has nothing to do with that fact those are brilliant music and this ain't? 

I remember the PMing onslaught I came in for after I was told by Breathmask I could share my Charge of the Rohirrim film edit MP3 via PM upon request, but not openly in a forum thread. Snowed under I was!

Of course, it was nothing compared to the PM fest that the person who shared unreleased Phantom Menace tracks must have went through.

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Yeah who here is hearing this piece for the first time from this thread?

I'm pretty sure I heard it before, but I kind of completely forgot about it.

8 hours ago, SteveMc said:

I'm pretty sure I heard it before, but I kind of completely forgot about it.

I find that impossible to believe. This is more memorable than the Jaws theme, the five tones, Superman march and Darth Vader's theme.

Wait, this video could be useful because it sounds less compressed than what I had

where's the video that includes the opening of the piece? I vaguely remember we had to edit that in from somewhere else

9 hours ago, King Mark said:

Can we do a kickstarter to get this thing recorded properly

You want to resort to begging or panhandling. How fucking trashy.

11 hours ago, King Mark said:

Wait, this video could be useful because it sounds less compressed than what I had

where's the video that includes the opening of the piece? I vaguely remember we had to edit that in from somewhere else

If memory serves, what we originally found were two videos from the convention that were split right during the Williams piece. I recall extracting the audio and being able to edit the two parts together.

As for the sound quality, I can't check the older audio file right now, but this video has the audio encoded as AAC at variable bit rate (with an average of 97Kb/sec).

3 hours ago, Miguel Andrade said:

As for the sound quality, I can't check the older audio file right now, but this video has the audio encoded as AAC at variable bit rate (with an average of 97Kb/sec).

yeah, you could check the older audio file. Maybe it was lower bitrate one or encoded in worse sounding MP3

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

I just listened, it's crap this.

Sort of, yeah. But don't you think it would have improved a bit with a better performance (and sound quality)?

Yeah in all seriousness, I don't know what the Hell people are hearing saying this is "Classic Williams" or what have you. The Dukakis Theme is pure shit in the pantheon of JW fanfares. This is about as autopilot going through the motions as JW comes.

9 hours ago, Dieter Stark said:

Yeah in all seriousness, I don't know what the Hell people are hearing saying this is "Classic Williams" or what have you. The Dukakis Theme is pure shit in the pantheon of JW fanfares. This is about as autopilot going through the motions as JW comes.

it's the recording that's bad