Ludwig Göransson's TENET (2020)

Thor

I just read this, and thought it should have its own thread (even if it might have been mentioned elsewhere on the site):

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2019/05/22/ludwig-goransson-to-score-christopher-nolans-tenet/?fbclid=IwAR1vV_syzv82oVsM_KdAKqFdelKGK_ITYZw7kBfKGCJgKRqGxd3Z6q7AVjE

I don't want to swear, but F"#)(!!!¤££@K!

I've not really liked anything Göransson has done, and find him severely overrated (fellow Scandinavian or not). And on top of that, we're losing another Nolan/Zimmer collaboration, which is where Zimmer has been the most inspired in the last decade.

Disappointment of the year for me, in terms of score assignments.

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

even if it might have been mentioned elsewhere on the site):

Of course it was

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/25948-the-official-christopher-nolan-church-thread/&do=findComment&comment=1616048

Well, that's your right. I adore everything they've done together; the scores both in and out of the movie (except maybe DUNKIRK, which I only enjoyed in the movie and not so much outside). Always an 'event' when they did something together.

I can't think of many more worse choices than Göransson. Desplat or Giacchino, perhaps, that would have been worse. But if he'd gone back to Julyan, the disappointment would at least have been easier to swallow.

On 5/22/2019 at 6:07 PM, Thor said:

I've not really liked anything Göransson has done, and find him severely overrated

I certainly don't think Goransson is overrated, at least not by members on this site. I think we're just excited to see him getting more projects and taking some big opportunities (i.e. The Mandalorian, now Tenet). I really enjoyed the Creed scores and Black Panther, and I feel that we have yet to see his best. He's an up and coming composer who has shown consistency in the formulation of kick-ass themes, which I think is something to be appreciated and excited about. 

On 5/22/2019 at 6:07 PM, Thor said:

And on top of that, we're losing another Nolan/Zimmer collaboration, which is where Zimmer has been the most inspired in the last decade.

Don't worry. Dune should be great.

On 5/22/2019 at 6:26 PM, Thor said:

I can't think of many more worse choices than Göransson. Desplat or Giacchino, perhaps, that would have been worse. 

I think you're a tad too quick to judge, especially directing a sour face to Desplat and Giacchino as well. Give the man a chance, for Pete's sake!

@Thor Why do you have to drag more people through the mud? If Desplat or Giacchino had been given the job, I would be interested to hear it - just like I have no qualms over Goransson scoring it. I think I would've liked to have heard what Zimmer would've done, certainly, but I guess he can't score everything Nolan!

16 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Can you imagine Williams working with a director like Nolan?  He'd pull his remaining hairs out!

I imagine Nolan would be respectful of Williams' time and wisdom - although if TFA is anything to go by with the hell of rewrites, I'd think that it would stress Williams!

Scene from the John Williams and Christopher Nolan at the Recording Sessions:

Enter Williams, confused and flustered after looking around the soundstage.

J. Williams: "Where's the orchestra?"

C. Nolan: "Huh?"

C. Nolan: "Say Mr. Williams, that watch of yours has quite a nice beat going there. Do you mind?"

J. Williams, waving arms wildly in self-defense: "Back...back, you modernist!" 

This has been John Williams and Christopher Nolan at the Recording Sessions.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Can you imagine Williams working with a director like Nolan?  He'd pull his remaining hairs out!

Why?  Nolan is one of the most composer friendly directors working today.

Don't have much opinion on Ludwig but good for him for landing the job.  Zimmer needs space for Dune and that is going to be a special score.

1 minute ago, Knox Harrington said:

Zimmer needs space for Dune and that is going to be a special score.

Yes.  That is the kind of project I'm interested in from Zimmer!

42 minutes ago, Knox Harrington said:

Nolan seems like he'd be too nontraditional in his approach to the director-composer collaboration for Williams' taste.

42 minutes ago, Knox Harrington said:

You know, you're probably right. Nolan likes to get the composer to write music before or during filming so he can temp track the cut and/or bounce ideas of what he wants, because the music is largely presented intact in the finished film and soundtrack releases.

The only one where Nolan was enamored with temp track was The Dark Knight Rises, where it seems like Zimmer only wrote 15-20 minutes of original material and rearranged large chunks of pre-existing score.

Action epic from the international word of espionage doesn't sound like it will be the most music-friendly project - in Nolan's hands anyway. Maybe he's remaking old Matt Helm or Derek Flint movies, then i'm in.

Of course I'll reserve judgement of this particular score untill I've heard it, but I think it's fair to express frustration and disappointment when there are actually TWO blows at once -- the fact that Zimmer won't score it (given the great track record for Nolan) and that a composer I dislike/am indifferent to steps in as replacement. I found both CREED and BLACK PANTHER (which got a friggin' Oscar, for Chrissakes!) annoying scores.

10 hours ago, Thor said:

I just read this, and thought it should have its own thread (even if it might have been mentioned elsewhere on the site):

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2019/05/22/ludwig-goransson-to-score-christopher-nolans-tenet/?fbclid=IwAR1vV_syzv82oVsM_KdAKqFdelKGK_ITYZw7kBfKGCJgKRqGxd3Z6q7AVjE

I don't want to swear, but F"#)(!!!¤££@K!

I've not really liked anything Göransson has done, and find him severely overrated (fellow Scandinavian or not). And on top of that, we're losing another Nolan/Zimmer collaboration, which is where Zimmer has been the most inspired in the last decade.

Disappointment of the year for me, in terms of score assignments.

Give this Göransson fellow a break will you Thor!

As for Nolan/Zimmer collaborations I just shut up as I don't have anything good to say about them personally.

Zimmer did some of his best work for Nolan, sure, but 'Dunkirk' was a clear reminder that exceptions still prove the rule (TDKR wasn't much good, either). But Ludwig guy interestingly is the polar opposite in regards to electronic sophistication/layering, which makes me wonder why he was chosen. He seems an ill fit for Nolan's aesthetic but who knows.

For me, Dunkirk was one of the few Nolan films that didn’t have long, tedious stretches of boredom. 

I found it riveting for most of its runtime. 

I look forward to seeing TENT, but I don't really care who scores it.  Like Stu, the only Nolan/Zimmer score I more-than-liked is Interstellar.

I liked Dunkirk a lot, as a movie.

On 5/23/2019 at 3:45 AM, Thor said:

Of course I'll reserve judgement of this particular score untill I've heard it, but I think it's fair to express frustration and disappointment when there are actually TWO blows at once -- the fact that Zimmer won't score it (given the great track record for Nolan) and that a composer I dislike/am indifferent to steps in as replacement. I found both CREED and BLACK PANTHER (which got a friggin' Oscar, for Chrissakes!) annoying scores.

What also sets Tenet apart is that Lee Smith isn’t editing this either.

A new composer and editor will probably be good for him.

Thank god for a new editor. I think the art of editing reached its nadir with Nolan. The worst editing in modern cinema which makes me nearly pull out my hear in frustration whenever I watch his films.

• 1 year later...

1400x1400bb-60.jpg

1. RAINY NIGHT IN TALLINN
2. WINDMILLS
3. MEETING NEIL
4. PRIYA
5. BETRAYAL
6. FREEPORT
7. 747
8. FROM MUMBAI TO AMALFI
9. FOILS
10. SATOR
11. TRUCKS IN PLACE
12. RED ROOM BLUE ROOM
13. INVERSION
14. RETRIEVING THE CASE
15. THE ALGORITHM
16. POSTERITY
17. THE PROTAGONIST
18. THE PLAN – Travis Scott

https://music.apple.com/us/album/1528573400

https://play.google.com/store/music/album/?id=Bs3dngmxqw74mnz5rgiwe5cv6lu

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08GCTVKYJ/

On 5/24/2019 at 7:59 AM, TheUlyssesian said:

Thank god for a new editor. I think the art of editing reached its nadir with Nolan. The worst editing in modern cinema which makes me nearly pull out my hear in frustration whenever I watch his films.

Screenshot_2020-08-09-23-59-57.png

On 5/23/2019 at 4:08 AM, Quintus said:

Nolan found a way of making one of the most courageous and dangerous mass evacuations ever boring.

See above.

On 5/24/2019 at 8:03 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

You don't have to watch his films, you know.

But , then they couldn't whine and complain about how " bad" they are.

Shitting on great cinema gives their " life" meaning.

On 5/23/2019 at 6:29 AM, mstrox said:

....the only Nolan/Zimmer score I more-than-liked is Interstellar.

I liked Dunkirk a lot, as a movie.

See, it's not so hard to say nice things about Zimmer or Nolan.😊

9 hours ago, antovolk said:

Extended peek at presumably the score

Odd...that's a different version than what I saw. The one I saw was pretty much the same, but with Travis Scott's "The Plan" for the music instead.

EDIT: Quick checking on my sources says that this is more likely the library music track "Time Is Up" by Phantom Power. They tweeted about it, but it has since been deleted.

On 8/22/2020 at 9:53 PM, bruce marshall said:

Screenshot_2020-08-09-23-59-57.png

See above.

But , then they couldn't whine and complain about how " bad" they are.

Shitting on great cinema gives their " life" meaning.

See, it's not so hard to say nice things about Zimmer or Nolan.😊

it might be my aviation nerd showing but I don’t get the hate for Dunkirk. It’s tense as fuck even on rewatches. I think Nolan and Zimmer finally nailed what they’d been searching for in their collaborations with that one. Both picture and sound are as one in that film. I love it. Really captures the tension of what standing on that beach waiting for evac with stukas dive bombing you must have been like. 

His slavery to in camera effects gives us cool looks at actual spitfires flying around but the dogfights aren’t historically accurate. But I’ll let it slide. 

I just wish he’d used Charles Lightoller’s real name! 

8 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

it might be my aviation nerd showing but I don’t get the hate for Dunkirk.

Well, you like everything that's got WW2 planes in it! ;)

17 hours ago, antovolk said:

Extended peek at presumably the score

That's an extremely annoying score - even more annoying than Balfe's MI:6.

10 hours ago, TSMefford said:

Odd...that's a different version than what I saw. The one I saw was pretty much the same, but with Travis Scott's "The Plan" for the music instead.

EDIT: Quick checking on my sources says that this is more likely the library music track "Time Is Up" by Phantom Power. They tweeted about it, but it has since been deleted.

Per YouTube's Content ID this is indeed Posterity from Goransson's OST. 

The Time is Up track is featured in this spot 

11 minutes ago, Jules said:

I dig that track, wasn't really sure what to expect but it's not too bad at all. Very in the vein of Nolan/Zimmer collabs. Also @antovolk, you're TrailerTrack dude right?

yeah!

2 hours ago, antovolk said:

Per YouTube's Content ID this is indeed Posterity from Goransson's OST. 

The Time is Up track is featured in this spot 

Ah cool. Thanks for the info. I just assumed it was the Phantom Power since their posts were deleted. Thought maybe they pulled the trigger too early.

Interesting! I don't hate it. It seems fun. I hope the whole thing isn't like this, but I don't mind this track at all.