Temple of Doom is 35 years old

Ricard

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

every aspect turned up to MAXIMUM.

You've just described a Michael Bay film.

Doesn't sound very reassuring.

Sure.

But the core aspect of a Michael Bay film - and the chief detractor of any one of his films - is that everything is dialed-up to 11 all of the time. There's no respite.

1 minute ago, Chen G. said:

But the core aspect of a Michael Bay film - and the chief detractor of any one of his films - is that everything is dialed-up to 11 all of the time. There's no respite.

But again, this isnt the case with all of Spielberg's films at all. So your comparison is a bit random.

Its not the case with any Spielberg film I recall, because he actually knows his craft.

But your description of 1941, a film I have the vaguest memory of, sounds like its just that. Its not the sort of thing that'd make me wanna revisit that film.

1 hour ago, The Original said:

Looks funny.

It is.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

It's 2 hours of non-stop screaming, gags and explosions augmented further by JW's over-the-top score. Too much for me. But there are things to like about it -- like the foggy cinematography that gives it a nice, 40s "air".

Too right. It's a real underrated rough diamond of a film.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

It's 2 hours of non-stop screaming, gags and explosions augmented further by JW's over-the-top score. Too much for me. But there are things to like about it -- like the foggy cinematography that gives it a nice, 40s "air".

Not quite right - there's a long middle part inside the "cave" that lags.

That one positively boils over during the underground fight, and that is before the whole mine cart chase. It's a remarkable piece of sustained kinetic moviemaking in the adventure genre - i'm not sure any director before or since bettered it. 1941 has similar sequences (the Swing number, the Hollywood Boulevard chase) but boy, does it limp in between.

It's extended to the point of nausea. Japanese officers dressing up as christmas trees, a scene that never ends.

PS: 'Gunga Din' is a must for all Indy fans. First, Cary Grant is kind of like Harrison Ford and...rope bridge, elephant gags, and and and...

THE-BRIDGE+1.jpg

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, publicist said:

It's extended to the point of nausea. Japanese officers dressing up as christmas trees, a scene that never ends.

That's actually one of my favourite scenes in the whole movie; the only one that musters up a bit of laughter amidst the annoying mayhem (and yes, I'm still talking about 1941; sorry we veered off-topic here).

8 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

Postpone it till its 41' birthsday.

And then wish the Japanese a happy Memorial Day. 

Oh wait, we did that this year. 

19 hours ago, mstrox said:

We can make a thread.  1941 is 40 years old this year!

I'm sure that they'll be a lot of ...IS 40 YEARS OLD threads, in the near future.

Funniest line in 1941:

You can take your Third Reich, and shove it up your ass!