Do you consider the score to War Horse a masterpiece?

Bellosh

Do you consider the score to War Horse a masterpiece?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Do you consider the War Horse score a Masterpiece?

Masterpiece, masterpiece...hmmm...for me, it may be a hair short of that by Williams' standards, but it's still easily my favorite non-franchise score of his from this century so far.

No, far from it. But I consider it the best score he's written since 2005, in tough competition with THE POST.

No. I think it lacks a strong cohesive center. It exists in 3 distinct thirds, perhaps reflecting the film itself. It is very good music though but not a masterpiece. The themes are good but do not rise to the level of classic themes.

10 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I found the theme a little bit too much "asian" for the subject... but I love it.

I think you misinterpret that. It's clearly early 20th century/neo-classical English in tone. Of course, I'm strangely able to understand this comment and why you might feel that, but I certainly don't. 

4 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Yes the theme as an asian flavor.

The "Asian" connection is accidental, as it were.  You see, Williams drew a lot, of course, on the music of RVW here in War Horse.  I read some place that Asian audiences fancy RVWs music because of perceived connections to Asian musical stylings.  This stems from the structural similarity between the pentatonic structures employed by both RVW (and British folk music) and traditional Asian music. 

As another example, I have been writing a Violin Sonatina, where the primary theme has a strong pentatonic emphasis, and those who have heard it have remarked that it sounds "very Chinese," something I did not at all intend.  

Just now, SteveMc said:

As another example, I have been writing a Violin Sonatina, where the primary theme has a strong pentatonic emphasis, and those who have heard it have remarked that it sounds "very Chinese," something I did not at all intend.  

Well put. The emphasis on writing structure sometimes having incidental, say, Asian connotations because of, as you put it Steve (I'm not all that well with musical lingo, but I know what you mean even if I don't know what you mean), the strong pentatonic aspect to it.  

I've found this to be the case with a lot of classical music at times, and I understand that the line between the apparently not-so-distinct cultural music flavours of China and Dartmoor can get blurry.

1 minute ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Asians didn't invent the black keys!

No but they don't play on the white ones!

5 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Let's hear it!

I don't think I'm allowed to directly embed audio files, so you guys will have to wait until I get the thing up on Soundcloud.

No. It is a very good score exceptional in many ways but it does not stand up against John's true masterpieces

Just now, xWxzek said:

I heard War Horse exactly once. 

Tomorrow, it will be the second time.

JW has reached such a high standard, it could be argued that (almost) anything he writes is a masterpiece. But that's not the point, I assume.

Is it among the best JW scores of all time? Probably not. I can think of at least 30 other JW scores that I personally consider to be superior. 

Is it among the best efforts from JW since 2000? Most definitely! 

Of course we are not comparing it to Williams'  other works but overall what we are having. Better what we are getting from the others, brilliant writing, very much heart and soul. And the maturing factor of music by JW, it feels now even better than back then. Of course we have people who couldn't listen to it more than once but that is their problem. Idiots. 

Definitely a masterpiece. 

22 hours ago, Bespin said:

Of course, Sabrina.

I was thinking I could pass for white

2 hours ago, Remco said:

Masterpiece or not, I do think that the concluding tracks on the album contain some of the most jaw-droppingly gorgeous and moving music that I know. So the score means a lot to me, even while it may not be the most engaging listening experience as a whole. :)

Completely agree with this.  The last two tracks just absolutely crush me.   I also like how both tracks feel like end credits pieces.

One part I do quite like is the end of Plowing, which we first heard in the trailer. There's big sweeping strings followed by a mournful French horn. As we saw a transition from the cold battlefield to a warm sunset, it looked and sounded as though it would be another great Spielberg flick. Shame.