FILM REVIEW: Reflections On Blade Runner (The Final Cut)

SteveMc

• 2 weeks later...

On 6/3/2019 at 4:57 PM, SteveMc said:

As for Roy, I have read him described as a “Christ figure.”  I tend to disagree with this assessment.  For sure, the stigmata Roy gives himself draws parallels, but looking closer I think the meaning is a bit different.  Roy is seeking more life.  This ties in with the Christian proclamation of Christ giving life through the Cross, and, especially the Catholic notion of suffering being central to this life.

Actually, what they say is that Roy transforms from a Fallen Angel into a Christ figure. BTW, is Blade Runner the only movie where the protagonist's life is saved twice by his antagonists? With that in mind, it's strange that in the sequel Deckard can't stop wanting to kill replicants, even when all the odds are against him. It's one of the things in BR 2049 that totally made no sense.

Perhaps there are no hard antagonists or even protagonists in the story. Tyrell, for example, seems in a way just as much an antagonist as Roy.  And, I find Deckard only really becomes a protagonist, in the traditional sense, in the final couple of scenes.

Does not make BR 2049 any better, though.

• 2 months later...
On 8/23/2019 at 10:20 PM, Richard said:

It's interesting to note that this is a film that is lauded universally, but which, in 1982, was vilified by critics, and ignored by the public. What happened?

People were expecting a different film and so they watched Blade Runner with the wrong mindset, at least those who had a mind. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/23/2019 at 10:20 PM, Richard said:

It's interesting to note that this is a film that is lauded universally, but which, in 1982, was vilified by critics, and ignored by the public. What happened?

Some critics at the time of the original premiere quite enjoyed it. For example. Roger Ebert gave three out of four stars:

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/blade-runner-1982-1

• 3 weeks later...

Oh. That's good to know. BLADE RUNNER was accepted far more graciously, in Europe. We understand that sort of thing, you know.

On 9/16/2019 at 11:03 AM, Stefancos said:

Better than Raiders? Surely not?

RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK is a fine film, Steef, to be sure, but it can only stand in awe of the achievement that is BLADE RUNNER.

Or, to quote the bard from Swindon, Andy Partridge: "Icarus regrets, and retires, puzzled".

On 9/16/2019 at 12:40 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

Some critics at the time of the original premiere quite enjoyed it. For example. Roger Ebert gave three out of four stars:

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/blade-runner-1982-1

Have you  read it? While Ebert did give it 3 stars, he wasn't really all that positive. Ebert said it's a failure as a story and that the movie isn't interested in Roy Batty or the replicants. They are merely standard villains. Actually, Ebert only admired the look of the movie but he clearly didn't understand it all that well. 

However, in fairness to Ebert, that was the case with most viewers who watched it for the first time. A lot of people changed their mind after multiple viewing, Ebert was the last reviewer to give it a maximum amount of stars.

I don't think the movie could have done so well over the years based only on its looks. It's what lies beneath the story that people picked up on during subsequent viewing and why the film has earned its status as being one of the best science fiction movies ever made.

I'm making a distinction between the really interesting thematic subtexts/characters and the noir mystery plot that interesting stuff hangs on for much of the running time.

21 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Have you  read it? While Ebert did give it 3 stars, he wasn't really all that positive. Ebert said it's a failure as a story and that the movie isn't interested in Roy Batty or the replicants. They are merely standard villains. Actually, Ebert only admired the look of the movie but he clearly didn't understand it all that well. 

However, in fairness to Ebert, that was the case with most viewers who watched it for the first time. A lot of people changed their mind after multiple viewing, Ebert was the last reviewer to give it a maximum amount of stars.

I've read it, but three stars is nonetheless three stars. :)

17 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm making a distinction between the really interesting thematic subtexts/characters and the noir mystery plot that interesting stuff hangs on for much of the running time.

I understand, and I could be wrong, but I think I'm beginning to see subtext as being inevitably connected to the story. I was the first one to say that in Blade Runner the story is merely a bonus but now I'm not so sure anymore.

12 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I've read it, but three stars is nonetheless three stars. :)

True. During the '80s, a lot of people thought he kinda hated the movie, but that was never the case.