MONSIGNOR - 2019 Intrada Edition features expanded film score

No, it is sourced from a new tape Mike had the guys at UMG UK find.

With Mike Matessino at the helm, this new release sources the LP program from the first-generation master stored at UMG in London and the 1-inch, 8-track masters stored in the vaults at 20th Century Fox. Both source elements featured very different mixes, so Matessino elected to include the two aforementioned programs.

Who? Me?  I'd guess it was, which is why Mike had the UK guys track down what they had.  Mike mentioned about it on FSM, I quoted it here: http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/15560-universal-studios-fire/&do=findComment&comment=1621941

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

Who? Me?  I'm sure it was, which is why Mike had the UK guys track down what they had.  Mike mentioned about it on FSM, I quoted it here: 

Yes, you. :) Do you know why that OST master which now is lost wasn't used for the previous Monsignor release?

I never actually heard this score from start to finish before. I suppose I have a thing against listening to things that I don't own (strange, I know). It is a really pleasant one and quite different from a lot of Williams' other "serious" film works. I'm not sure whether it works well for this film but makes for a nice rounded listen. Feels almost like a concert tone poem or something like that. Might create one using album-exclusive tracks within the body of the film version (which sounds better).

Karol

On 6/11/2019 at 3:29 PM, rough cut said:

I know I’ve mentioned it (read: bragged about it) in another thread - but I just can’t help my self (sorry!)...

...but I recently got a whole new hi-if set-up - not your standard run-of-the-mill stuff - and it’s a joy just going through my collection! Not to mention these remasters that are recently coming out with so much good material!

Tell us more! What did you get?

Edit: Oh wait, which other thread?

On 6/11/2019 at 3:22 PM, TownerFan said:

Yes, specifically better than the 2007 version (it was sourced from better-quality elements, btw).

I love how "Audience with the Holy Father" basically foreshadows the death of Yoda sequence in Jedi. The score is also Previn-esque in some of the lyrical moments (the variation on the Gloria material at the end of "Santoni's Compassion" reminds me of the theme from The Four Horsemen of Apocalypse.

Yes! I remember how I was immediately reminded of the Death of Yoda when I first heard Audience with the Holy Father, certainly a very clear musical cousin in terms of the subdued reverent religioso writing.

Again a quite bad movie with a wonderful score...

Many reminiscences of future scores in the composition.

After several listenings of this Intrada Edition, this new expanded edition is very significant, despite a main theme a little too repeated along the tracks. The sound quality of the mix makes you rediscover the music and unreleased tracks are really an important complement that brings a lot of flavor to the score.

Very happy to be able to complete the golden period of JW.

What will be the next release:

- Earthquake?

- The Eiger Sanction?

- The River?

- Born on The 4th of July?

- Always?

Cheers

Ugh, not singling you out in particular, @Luke Skywalker , but it does irk me when folks complain about double-dipping.  I get it that there are a few instances where say a movie was released on blu-ray and then a month or two later it gets a "deluxe" treatment with bonus features, etc..., but with the case of movie scores, subsequent releases are for the most part a vast improvement over the prior release(s).  

Complaining about double-dipping on soundtracks to me is like saying you bought these back in the day...

Image result for star wars vhs cbs fox

...so therefore you're hesitant to shell out coin on this release?

Image result for star wars blu-ray

To me that doesn't make much sense.  LOL

In the case of Monsignor, it was released 12 years ago, went OOP, and was no longer available to the masses to purchase.  Even if I had purchased the 2007 release I still would have bought the 2019 release without giving it a second thought, not only for the unreleased music but also for the improved sound and Matessino involvement.

Well, if I lived in the USA it would not be a big complaint...but being in Europe these two Monsignor releases cost me 35$ each. I can buy 4 regular nowadays osts with that on Amazon....

I'm one of many, I speak for the rest but I don't understand

6 minutes ago, Richard said:

...for nobody will understand. Take what's yours, and be damned.

Having listened to the older Intrada OST a few times as a test, the feelings are similar, this is a huge surprise hit and I can't wait to get it!

Oh wow this remixed score presentation, it's night and day comparing with the old album mix!

Even the Gloria is now more digestable! All those new details, the organ and the voices are not anymore just a big monolithic bloc of saturation.

It's A1, to rediscover such a score like this!