Hymn To The Fallen performed live during D-Day anniversary celebration

Henry Sítrónu

In another fifty years, when nobody anywhere hears the Star Wars main titles anymore, it'll be the end credits music to Saving Private Ryan, that is considered the lasting legacy of late American composer John Williams.

I was wondering today if this would be played today, and I am not surprised to hear that it was. Thanks for sharing the video. Even in German, it was cool to see (and of course bits were in English from the speeches). I suspect JW is too humble to have thought that this piece would become part of memorials the world over (we heard it during President Bush's funeral last December too), but I bet Spielberg figured this would happen the first time he heard it.

@TheUlyssesian Many thanks for posting this video!  I have to admit I got a little misty-eyed watching that segment, I'll need to set aside time to watch the whole thing.  

I honestly feel that we'll be hearing this tune at various occasions for the next 100 years and beyond.  A true modern-day classic!

Instead if saying "thank you" to all those who died, and who aren't around to hear it (oh, the irony ;)), they should be reading DULCE ET DECORUM EST out, at every ceremony, to remind everyone of the fucking futility of these poor people's deaths.

The fucking hypocrites.