John Williams voted in at #15 in Australia's ABC Classic Composer Countdown.

zoltan_902

That’s a respectable showing for JW! I’m pleased about LvB’s ranking but not thrilled Saint-Saens didn’t crack the top 20. 

Of course, we shouldn’t put too much faith in such polls, which always suffer from selection bias (ie, there’s no reason to believe these results reflect the true average preferences of all ABC listeners, since only those who cared to (or were able to) reply to the poll are represented. (Remember this the next time you see a non-randomly-sampled opinion poll whose results you don’t agree with.😉)

24. Shostakovich 

29. Grieg

32. Prokofiev

51. Borodin

Hmmmm….:eek:

This group easily make up some of my favourites, the biggest names (i.e. Beethoven, Mozart, J.S. Bach, etc) aside.

I'm not. You might be surprised how many casual movie goers and everyday folks actually think of Zimmer first when they think of soundtracks. His music is very influential in this regard to the general public. 

On the note of the general public and film scores, I was humming the Raiders March the other day on the bus, like any good-natured JW Fan might as the weekend rolls in. A fellow near me noted excitedly, "Hey, that's the Avengers theme!", to which I wept bitterly. It's funny what some people pick up from soundtracks in film, especially from the perspective of such an avid fan as myself. I actually responded to one of these comments once (can't recall the specifics), saying that I was humming this theme from such and such a film. I think they said something like, "That had a theme?". Multiple, yes. I'm sure we've all had one of these moments, but seriously! Is this really the way of the culture now? Anyways, I'm done with my spiel. You can all get back to your thread now. 

20 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Hehe. Those funny Aussies.

But it's not entirely wrong - he was naturalized in 1943.

But they do list Mahler as Austro-Bohemian. And surely, of all the early pioneers of Hollywood music, Korngold was the one who brought the most central European influence while himself adapting very little to American music.

13 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

But they do list Mahler as Austro-Bohemian. And surely, of all the early pioneers of Hollywood music, Korngold was the one who brought the most central European influence while himself adapting very little to American music.

Was Mahler a naturalized American citizen?