Gordy Haab & Stephen Barton's STAR WARS JEDI: FALLEN ORDER (2019)

crumbs

The music in this new Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order gameplay video is pretty good. More of that Williams-y prequel sound, but it's effective enough. I'm presuming the theme at 11:42 is the score's main theme which is short but memorable.

Weirdly I can't find any details of who the composer is. Presumably Gordy Haab?

54 minutes ago, crumbs said:

The music in this new Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order gameplay video is pretty good. More of that Williams-y prequel sound, but it's effective enough.

Weirdly I can't find any details of who the composer is. Presumably Gordy Haab?

From a GameInformer article:

Music is as important to Star Wars as the story and characters. From what we've heard of Jedi: Fallen Order's score, it fits right in with John Williams’ work, and changes to flow with what is happening on screen. You can hear what Respawn is going for in this track titled “Kashyyyk Suite.” The soundtrack is made by Nick Laviers, Stephen Barton, and composer Gordy Haab, who recorded the music at Abbey Road.

I knew Gordy has involvement right away while watching the gameplay. There are a lot of references to music he's written for both Battlefront and SWTOR. Stephen Barton's involvement was a surprise though, to be sure... but a welcome one. (Sorry, I had to say it).

I like how the gameplay starts with the Quidditch Match intro.

And how 11:54 is practically a more creative post-Ultron Avengers Theme statement.

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

Come on dude...

His next tweet makes the correction of (*game score). So only the most ambitious game score ever done.

52 minutes ago, Jay said:

Vince?

Vince Zampella and Jason West founded Infinity Ward and developed COD into what it is today. They left the studio after a clash with Activision and founded Respawn Entertainment. Since then they’ve developed Titanfall 1 and 2, Apex Legends, and are making Jedi Fallen Order. Stephen Barton has been the composer for most of their games. 

3 hours ago, Incanus said:

So only the most ambitious game score ever done.

I'm no expert here, but... Lair was pretty ambitious, no?

That one is still my favourite non-film score I think.

I can’t really tell if you’re agreeing or disagreeing with me.

I have no complaints over how the sequel trilogy sounds, it’s fine, but SW has always been connected to the LSO... and the movies, sequel trilogy included, are the flagships of that franchise.

So, to have all these spin-offs and games using the LSO, while the new flagship features that are coming out aren’t...

Well. It’s not a complaint, just an observation.

4 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Everything but the Williams recent star wars output uses the Lso....rogue one is the only one who does not use them either....

Solo used the London Chamber Orchestra I believe; it definitely wasn't the LSO.

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It would be fun if the entire LSO got a cameo in episode IX.

That'd be a lot of Knights of Ren! No wonder they all have different weaponry! I could've sworn I saw one of them holding a bow.

:lol:

4 hours ago, rough cut said:

I can’t really tell if you’re agreeing or disagreeing with me.

Yup, I was agreeing with you on the irony, on how it seems everything uses the LSO except the williams music ... I worded it wrongly...

Why does Williams have to use the LSO for the sake of tradition? Williams' age, health problems and the convenience of LA have determined this outcome. If people are going to make the argument that the LSO makes Star Wars sound like 'Star Wars' then that's ridiculous! It's Williams who makes this musical soundscape!

I've never associated my idea of what Star Wars sounds like based on the variances in recording venues/sound engineering/mixing etc. 

• 5 months later...

So I gotta say, this score is pretty damn good. Haab does a fantastic job mixing that ANH sound with the more grandiose prequel sound, but does give the score a life of its own. Cal's Theme is really sweet, especially when presented on flute. Hoping this gets an official release soon. 

Both composers are doing a talk in LA on December 7. 

https://scoringarts.com/event/star-wars-the-music-of-jedi-fallen-order/

Anyone here want to attend and ask if they know anything about JW score expansions? You'd have to assume these two guys might have some inside goss on the topic. 

I hope the score from Fallen Order gets a release, like Battle Front 1 & 2 did (not sure if those were official though, but aren’t they on Qobuz?).

I like these new chapters to the Star Wars score library. They all feel like children of the original JW scores. They carry the same DNA but they are individuals with their own strengths, weaknesses and little quirks. Cut from the same cloth, but unique in their own way.

From Shadows of the Empire, to Rogue One and Solo, they all feature some great non-JW SW music.

The only one that I’d put in a different genre is The Mandalorian, I guess that’d be the bastard child. 😂

It’d be cool to see a release that collected all (or at least a track or two of each) of these.

1 hour ago, rough cut said:

The only one that I’d put in a different genre is The Mandalorian, I guess that’d be the bastard child.

The music to The Mandalorian is to Star Wars what Joseph Williams's musical direction is to John Williams's musical direction. 

10 hours ago, rough cut said:

I hope the score from Fallen Order gets a release, like Battle Front 1 & 2 did (not sure if those were official though, but aren’t they on Qobuz?).

It wasn't an official release, it was a promo release that Gordy provided on his SoundCloud in lossless quality. If Qobuz has them, they're doing so illegally.

According to Gordy, an official release of JFO is "up in the air".

16 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

EA has a long track record of releasing game soundtracks. Did the Battlefront games really not get albums?

Nope, they did not. No Star Wars video game soundtrack has ever had an official release. SOTE of course had an official release, but that was based on the book, long before the game was made. I also heard that the collector's edition of SWTOR came with a disc of the suites that were released on the SWTOR YouTube channel.

Gordy has what I would refer to as "three bad habits". He quotes himself a lot (which is fine, John does it too) but he doesn't do it the same way Johnny does. He reused certain riffs in each of his scores (a certain jingle that appears in his music for TOR, Kinect Star Wars, the Battlefront games) but they don't necessarily seem to represent the same idea in all of those games.

His second bad habit is relying too much (seemingly) on source tracks. There is a lot of his music which is just blatant copy of a Williams melody. This habit is less egregious than the first because I think it's okay that he's trying to make his music sound like it belongs in the same universe as the film scores and he does a phenomenal job of that, but he's also a really good composer in his own right and I like hearing his more original ideas in his scores as opposed to the copy.

His third bad habit is a little more nebulous, but I wish he would make his texturing more era-appropriate. For example, the Sullust music from Battlefront 1 is fantastic. I enjoy the main idea and it's different permutations in the piece, but at the same time I'm listening to a song set during the OT with PT-esque music texturing. Yeah, it sounds like Williams, but it sounds like another era of Star Wars and not the one I'm playing in. I suppose the argument in favor of is that it blends all the different eras of Star Wars together and makes the universe feel more homogenous, but for me personally it takes me out of the experience.

• 2 months later...

I had a tiny bit of hope since Stephen Barton was involved, and just about every score he works on for EA gets an official release. I'm sure Gordy will  release a compilation like be did for the Battlefront games in a year or two... hopefully.

I'm still attempting to make my own edit like I did for the Battlefront games, but the ~300 music files in the game files don't have names, so compiling something is incredibly time-consuming.

13 minutes ago, Arpy said:

I wonder if the game's release being so close to TRoS had affected the release of an official score?

Honestly I doubt it. No Star Wars video game score has ever been released officially. Shadows of the Empire doesn't count because it was composed for the book.

On 1/30/2020 at 3:54 PM, Fargo said:

That means we'll never get the music composed for the blockbuster mobile games Galaxy of Heroes and Star Wars Commander. Sad times...

That means we'll also never get the music from Jedi Academy and Jedi Outcast! Oh, wait...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2020 at 12:41 AM, Manakin Skywalker said:

I had a tiny bit of hope since Stephen Barton was involved, and just about every score he works on for EA gets an official release. I'm sure Gordy will  release a compilation like be did for the Battlefront games in a year or two... hopefully.

I'm still attempting to make my own edit like I did for the Battlefront games, but the ~300 music files in the game files don't have names, so compiling something is incredibly time-consuming.

Wow, 300 music files. I could guess a good few of those are movie splice-ins, but I don't remember too much in the way of new music from my playthrough. Form what I recall the levels were mostly quiet with ambience and the occasional short tune here and there.

I can't wait to give your uploads a listen when I get the chance. This soundtrack needs to grow on me, I feel it reminds me too much of something from Skyrim rather than Star Wars.