crumbs

Gordy Haab & Stephen Barton's STAR WARS JEDI: FALLEN ORDER (2019)

The music in this new Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order gameplay video is pretty good. More of that Williams-y prequel sound, but it's effective enough. I'm presuming the theme at 11:42 is the score's main theme which is short but memorable.

Weirdly I can't find any details of who the composer is. Presumably Gordy Haab?

54 minutes ago, crumbs said:

The music in this new Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order gameplay video is pretty good. More of that Williams-y prequel sound, but it's effective enough.

Weirdly I can't find any details of who the composer is. Presumably Gordy Haab?

From a GameInformer article:

Music is as important to Star Wars as the story and characters. From what we've heard of Jedi: Fallen Order's score, it fits right in with John Williams’ work, and changes to flow with what is happening on screen. You can hear what Respawn is going for in this track titled “Kashyyyk Suite.” The soundtrack is made by Nick Laviers, Stephen Barton, and composer Gordy Haab, who recorded the music at Abbey Road.

I knew Gordy has involvement right away while watching the gameplay. There are a lot of references to music he's written for both Battlefront and SWTOR. Stephen Barton's involvement was a surprise though, to be sure... but a welcome one. (Sorry, I had to say it).

I like how the gameplay starts with the Quidditch Match intro.

And how 11:54 is practically a more creative post-Ultron Avengers Theme statement.

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

Come on dude...

His next tweet makes the correction of (*game score). So only the most ambitious game score ever done.

52 minutes ago, Jay said:

Vince?

Vince Zampella and Jason West founded Infinity Ward and developed COD into what it is today. They left the studio after a clash with Activision and founded Respawn Entertainment. Since then they’ve developed Titanfall 1 and 2, Apex Legends, and are making Jedi Fallen Order. Stephen Barton has been the composer for most of their games. 

They just mean the Telemann type of ambitious. Everything is fine. We may move along.

That being said, the score sure will work nice in the game.

3 hours ago, Incanus said:

So only the most ambitious game score ever done.

I'm no expert here, but... Lair was pretty ambitious, no?

That one is still my favourite non-film score I think.

17 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

I'm no expert here, but... Lair was pretty ambitious, no?

That one is still my favourite non-film score I think.

Yeah. I think these two are hard to top:

Insane that LAIR, Paraworld and Airborne came out within a year from each other.

I can’t really tell if you’re agreeing or disagreeing with me.

I have no complaints over how the sequel trilogy sounds, it’s fine, but SW has always been connected to the LSO... and the movies, sequel trilogy included, are the flagships of that franchise.

So, to have all these spin-offs and games using the LSO, while the new flagship features that are coming out aren’t...

Well. It’s not a complaint, just an observation.

4 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Everything but the Williams recent star wars output uses the Lso....rogue one is the only one who does not use them either....

Solo used the London Chamber Orchestra I believe; it definitely wasn't the LSO.

4 hours ago, rough cut said:

I can’t really tell if you’re agreeing or disagreeing with me.

Yup, I was agreeing with you on the irony, on how it seems everything uses the LSO except the williams music ... I worded it wrongly...

Why does Williams have to use the LSO for the sake of tradition? Williams' age, health problems and the convenience of LA have determined this outcome. If people are going to make the argument that the LSO makes Star Wars sound like 'Star Wars' then that's ridiculous! It's Williams who makes this musical soundscape!

Personally I think the recording venue and technique has more to do with the 'sound' of the sequels than the orchestra itself.

Yes, Williams' writing style has definitely changed since the prequels, but there's just something special about the sound of Abbey Road and Murphy's superb analogue recording for TPM. I think I understand what they were aiming for with TFA's ultra-dry recording but it complimented neither the orchestra nor the venue's acoustics at all, IMO.

I've never associated my idea of what Star Wars sounds like based on the variances in recording venues/sound engineering/mixing etc.