So Ridley Scott is directing a Gladiator sequel...

Muad'Dib

Always felt the same way about him, such a generic sound. John Debney is like the Chris Columbus of film music. 

Although his Orville work was quite nice, I admit.

Not sure I'd use 'generic' in the case of CUTTHROAT. It's supposed to be pastiche, and Debney does it well -- combing more modern orchestral riffs with the swashbuckling sound of yesteryear. Fantastic score, although it doesn't have a grain of originality.

Back to GLADIATOR --  looking forward to this, as long as it's in capable hands. A Zimmer sequel score to his landmark original is extremely tantalizing.

2 hours ago, Quintus said:

But would he revert to a style he openly abandoned and moved on from?

That's the big question. Probably not.

It'd need a bit of an aesthetic update anyway, since the sound of Gladiator's music has suffered a little due to the same dating issue which all of Zimmer's work is destined to do over a relatively short period of time. In that respect, I'm not looking forward to hearing what Interstellar sounds like in 20+ years.

Church organs are awesome.

My grandmother was the organist at St. Charles Catholic church. It was the french speaking church in our city.

10 hours ago, Quintus said:

It'd need a bit of an aesthetic update anyway, since the sound of Gladiator's music has suffered a little due to the same dating issue which all of Zimmer's work is destined to do over a relatively short period of time. In that respect, I'm not looking forward to hearing what Interstellar sounds like in 20+ years.

Uhu.

On 6/11/2019 at 6:15 PM, Quintus said:

Stop, you'll force me to watch it again tonight. But it's a long movie and incompatible with my weekdays.

It desperately needs a good Blu-ray. For that reason I haven't watched it since the DVD days.

Karol

6 hours ago, crocodile said:

It desperately needs a good Blu-ray. For that reason I haven't watched it since the DVD days.

Karol

You don't like the existing transfer, or the wildly unbalanced audio problem?

28 minutes ago, Quintus said:

You don't like the existing transfer, or the wildly unbalanced audio problem?

Both really. For film this handsomely looking/sounding, nothing but top quality will do. I'm hoping there will be a 4K release of this somewhere down the line. It's such a fantastic piece of cinema.

Karol

• 3 years later...
1 hour ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I have to say. As an actor. He really does have the same kind of vibe as Joaquin Phoenix.

Really?

https-cdn-cnn-com-cnnnext-dam-assets-190

I'm still not quite sure what to even think about the prospect of a Gladiator 2.

I'm betting any narrative connection with the original will be tenuous at best.

I'm in favour of a Gladiator sequel that doesn't involved Maximus.  Not that I don't love the character & Crowe's performance, I do. But...no. Maximus is in the after-life (and by all appearances, eating quite well).

But another Ridley Scott directed Roman historical epic? F*ck yeah!

22 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

#bringbackholst

He never left!

5 minutes ago, AC1 said:

The score was what disappointed me. So Cirque du Soleil.

Now there's a hot take...

If they get Zimmer on board for the score, I'll be really interested in this movie. I'm apprehensive as Gladiator is one of my favorite films but the cast announcements so far are good and I think Scott will do a good job.

21 hours ago, Mr. Who said:

If they get Zimmer on board for the score, I'll be really interested in this movie. I'm apprehensive as Gladiator is one of my favorite films but the cast announcements so far are good and I think Scott will do a good job.

I'd say with significant confidence that Zimmer won't do this. They've never worked together since HGW took over on KoH and Scott has been giving very high profile projects to other composers lately - a composer I've never heard of is doing Napoleon.

I do get surprised when someone's interest in a movie is so heavily affected by who is scoring it - it can be a chance to discover the work of a new composer. I've literally never heard of Jed Kurzel until he did Covenant, and I love that score.

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

I'd say with significant confidence that Zimmer won't do this. They've never worked together since HGW took over on KoH and Scott has been giving very high profile projects to other composers lately - a composer I've never heard of is doing Napoleon.

I do get surprised when someone's interest in a movie is so heavily affected by who is scoring it - it can be a chance to discover the work of a new composer. I've literally never heard of Jed Kurzel until he did Covenant, and I love that score.

I love the score to Gladiator and it is a huge part of the first movie so I would obviously like the same composer to score the sequel. I also doubt that Zimmer will score it as he is merely friends with Ridley and doesn’t score his movies anymore after quitting KOH. However, I think that if any movie would make them work together again, it would be Gladiator 2. If Zimmer doesn’t score it, then HGW would be a good choice.