The NINTENDO Thread

Jay

Yes, I too prefer the "classic" Mario games (Mario 1-3 and World) over the "3D era" ---- BUT! They actually totally nailed it with Super Mario 64. Miyamoto directed it, and he brilliantly took Mario into the 3rd dimension. I couldn't have been more sceptical, but damn, he hit it out of the park. It's a great game. The followups - Super Mario Sunshine, Mario Galaxy, and Galaxy 2 - are good, too, but don't have that magic of innovation that was added to each game in the original series, imho.

I couldn't have been happier when they returned to their roots with New SMB for the DS - despite how relatively easy and short that game is, it proved their was still a market for classic side-scrolling Mario adventures. And they kept amping things up with New SMB Wii, New SMB 3DS, and from what I heard, New SMB Wii U.

But what impresses me even more, is that they then went to a new "hybrid" of the 2D/3D styles, for the Super Mario 3D Land game for 3DS and Super Mario 3D World for Wii U. Have you played either, Marian? I only have played Land, and its absolutely incredible, one of the best Mario games! It's mostly classic side scrolling action, but with incredible graphics and all kinds of fun tweaks that use the 3D aspect of that line of games. Its brilliant Can't wait to play the WIi U one when I get that system.

There is no 2.5D Mario for the Wii. Only the 3DS (Super Mario 3D Land) and Wii U (Super Mario 3D World).

The New Super Mario Brothers series (which is classic 2D) has one entry each on the DS, Wii, 3DS, and Wii U (though the Wii U one also has a New Luigi U add-on).

Sunshine is possibly the weakest Super Mario game of them all. Not exactly the ideal sample of 3D Mario AT ALL.

The Galaxy entries are frankly astounding pieces of platform gaming design and are as purer Super Mario experiences as any of the old 2D classics.

Mario Galaxy, and Galaxy 2 - are good, too, but don't have that magic of innovation that was added to each game in the original series, imho.

I couldn't disagree more. To me your point about innovation is head scratching and just barmy.

Quintus - favourite Mario game is World.

Well, don't get me wrong - I love Super Mario Galaxy. It's fantastic.

There really are so many A+ games in this franchise, it's ridiculous.

I played it on the 360 too. Andy Serkis was great and so was the ending.

Here's a 60fps video all the same:

https://youtu.be/1krew5t1f7c

Quite cool but also deathly sterile.

Finished FF-Type 0.

I found a used copy of Pandora's Tower...very rare game for the Wii and the last Wii game I needed to play. Actually I asked videogame rental store to sell me their rental copy since they hadn;t rented it since 2014 and they agreed for 15$

Wii? Type O was a PSP game, and then they did an HD remake for the PS4. Are you sure you got the name and system right?

The only Final Fantasy games for the Wii were that weird Chrystal Chronicles games.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My favorite system of all time!

EDIT: I meant the Super Nintendo (USA version), not specifically the Japanese system (Super Famicon)

Still mad my brother sold ours off when I was away at college

The seller threw in three free games including Super Mario Cart, Super Puyo Puyo and Donkey Kong Country.

I'll love sitting this next to my PAL SNES, which I have Super Castlevania IV, Star Wars and Super Mario World.

You got some great games there!

You need to add Super Mario AllStars, A Link To The Past, Chrono Trigger, and Final Fantasy IV and VI too!

Super Empire Strikes Back, Super Return of the Jedi, and Super Indiana Jones Trilogy are all fun too

I had a SNES too, I swapped my Amiga with my neighbour for it. My most played game was Super Street Fighter II: Turbo Edition. 

My favourite system of all time is the Xbox 360. 

My first console was the SNES. I distinctly remember the box and it being bundled with Super Mario World. Played that to death alongside the Donkey Kong Country games, Lethal Enforcers, a horrible Home Alone 2 game, and some other stuff I can't remember right now.

I was horrified when my brother traded the system and all the games in at Funcoland for $60, which he used to buy Monster Truck Madness 64, a trash racing game.

My brother bawled on the 1991 Christmas morning we got our NES. He wanted an SNES instead. The parents' classic response was because the older system had more games. Duh. We never got the SNES, but Genesis, Game Boys, and a still functional Virtual Boy came later. 

It's only now I can afford all this.

Funny, in the late-1990s/early-2000s, these old games and systems were cheap as chips second-hand, but due to the nostalgia revolution of the late 2000s (fueled partially by YouTube home basement celebs like AVGN who have influenced a whole generation to become reacquainted with this old junk), their monetary value has shot up significantly.

The GameCube was an underrated system. Had some of the best games ever made on it and was the last time Nintendo was a true competitor in terms of hardware. It was more powerful than the other systems at the time. Its biggest problem was the smaller discs making many multi-platform releases not viable.