The NINTENDO Thread

Jay

12 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

The Dreamcast is at least home to the second best version of Rayman 2, unarguably the greatest 3D platformer ever made. 

Have you played the third one ever? 

Also, the Dreamcast is one of the coolest consoles ever. 

The combat in 3 is insanely way more fun than it had any right to be, and Rayman controls even more smoothly than he does in 2.

It's weird to say so, but I find the least good game in the series is the very first one!

11 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

It's weird to say so, but I find the least good game in the series is the very first one!

That's actually incredibly common in video game franchises

Games are different that movies

Good movie sequels are more dependent on a script that is worthy of the original

Good game sequels are more dependent on the creative team improving on their techniques to make the experience better and better for the player with each game (or mixing up the formula when the current one has gotten stale)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm now even more excited for Yoshi's Crafted World.  It looks like it will be the ultimate expression of this line of Good-Feel games that started with Kirby's Epic Yarn.

What looks most cool to me is that, based on the trailer, I think Crafted World's levels are going to exist in an actual, single virtual space.  Like as if they were set up in a child's bedroom using cardboard and glue and markers, etc..  This is opposed to Epic Yarn and Woolly World, where the verisimilitude of the sewn/knitted objects was incredible, but they existed in an abstract imaginary space.

Am I the only one that thinks Nintendo fans give them way more credit than they deserve? The Switch is fine, but it’s essentially a port machine, and in 2 years, will be archaic when stacked against Sony and Microsoft’s next gen consoles. 

Outside of 1st party Nintendo exclusives, which are the main reason I still play games as an adult, I’m more interested in the indie 3rd party titles than the big publishers’ games anyway so it’s pretty irrelevant to me how it stacks up against Xbox or PS.

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

Am I the only one that thinks Nintendo fans give them way more credit than they deserve? The Switch is fine, but it’s essentially a port machine, and in 2 years, will be archaic when stacked against Sony and Microsoft’s next gen consoles. 

It's also less than half the cost of them.

14 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

will be archaic when stacked against Sony and Microsoft’s next gen consoles. 

Archaic in the sense of? We ain't talkin' about numbers here, are we? Surely we've moved past that?

If you think fans give the Switch too much credit, you should lob that criticism at developers, too, 'cause so many of them have jumped on the bandwagon; it's a very strong show of faith, especially considering all the crap Nintendo's been given since the N64 about its lack of strong third-party support.

The XBox One is one of the worst consoles in "modern" (c. 1985) gaming, and no amount of tech specs will change the fact that it has a library weaker than diluted almond milk. People have teased the XBox for years about stuff like this, but the XBox One is almost literally a Forza and Halo machine...and Sea of Thieves, I guess. And the way Microsoft is going, who knows if even those will be exclusives not too far in the future? 

The PS4, on the other hand, is Sony's best console in my mind. Not as massive a library as the PS2--what will be?--but definitely a keeper with some excellent exclusives. And boy do I love that controller.

But when it comes down it, so many games are ported to the PC, and functionally there really ain't a whole lot of difference. From software to hardware, Nintendo has prioritized creating experiences that you can only experience through their products--both an admirable philosophical angle, as well as a sneakily smart business move. Video games are Nintendo's one claim to fame, it's important to keep in mind: if Nintendo tried to play  Microsoft and Sony's game, it'd get its ass cut. 

That’s why I’m asking them to ditch hardware. If the games they make now are so good, imagine how much better they would be if they focused solely on development. Zelda selling 10 million units on Switch would equate to how many on a console with 80 million units in the wild? The profit margins are there. 

One of the few lines in the game that actually made me laugh.

19 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

That’s why I’m asking them to ditch hardware. If the games they make now are so good, imagine how much better they would be if they focused solely on development. Zelda selling 10 million units on Switch would equate to how many on a console with 80 million units in the wild? The profit margins are there. 

You're discussing two things here: the hypothetical quality of their games were they purely to work on software, and the money they would make if their software would be available on "larger" consoles (though keep in mind that the 3DS alone, as of last year, outsold the PS4). The first I already somewhat addressed: it's all a "complete package" so to speak, with Nintendo. They set the rules, they choose what and how they want to do it, and have the complete freedom to do so. If we're making idle what-ifs, then it's only too easy to imagine them losing this freedom were they to become a third-party company. 

As to your second point: that could be very well true, it makes a lot of sense. But who says that absolute maximization of profit is their end goal? They have decades worth of capital, they ain't hurtin' for cash, and they get to make video games the way they see fit, continually experimenting and innovating. Sounds like a complete win scenario to me.

But these are all more "big picture" things. Please forgive me if you mentioned this earlier, Koray, but why do you personally want them to stop making hardware?

On 10/2/2018 at 1:42 AM, Koray Savas said:

I don’t get the Nintendo love at all. I had a Gameboy but I only every really played Pokémon. All the excitement about the switch seems to be around games that can’t out on other consoles years ago. Like Skyrim, it was a big deal when it arrived on the Switch... but it’s a game from 2011.

It came out so long ago that the next Elder Scrolls game might have missed out on the PS4/Xbone console generation...

I appreciate and respect Nintendo for their game design philosophies and talent, but not enough to buy a machine for the sole purpose of playing their first party titles. Don't get me wrong I'd love to have a go at some of those games, because they look very good, but I play just as many if not more third party releases than I do in-house developed games. I also like to play those on the best possible hardware, because these days superior performance is an essential component of my overall enjoyment of a game (I don't like anything which breaks my immersion in the game world), and so in that regard the Nintendo systems haven't been a viable console solution to me since the SNES days. Bundle that with Nintendo's comparatively primitive online gaming credentials, and well, their latest system was never going to be a serious purchase option.

40 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Is Nintendo the Apple of game companies?

No, nothing like Apple. Nintendo have carved out for themselves an eccentric non conformist niche in the medium. But they're not an industry leader anymore and haven't been since the enormous success of the Wii a decade ago. Their hardware embraces quirky utility over form and they have no qualms about putting out inferior processing power because they know their games will be designed around the strengths of the hardware and will make the very most of the 'closed box' architecture. Nintendo are for the fun factor not the X factor. As far as software design sophistication goes though, Nintendo can stand shoulder to shoulder with any of them.

There really is no equivalent in the gaming world to what Apple does to the computer and smart phone world.

Part of that is because Apple iterates on their ideas every year pushing the boundaries of what their hardware can do while increasing the processing power every year, while video game consoles are expected to last 5-7 years until the next iteration.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

There really is no equivalent in the gaming world to what Apple does to the computer and smart phone world.

Part of that is because Apple iterates on their ideas every year pushing the boundaries of what their hardware can do while increasing the processing power every year, while video game consoles are expected to last 5-7 years until the next iteration.

Hey Jay, did you edit my previous post? Just want to make sure I'm not trippin'.

@Quintus I ask this out of curiosity: if performance and sheer technical strength is so important to you, why do you do not play on PC?

I do, for certain releases. It's not even all that powerful these days either, but it'll run most things at 60fps. Or if it's a vast open world game, I'll be satisfied with a locked 30. The problem with the Nintendo machines is they don't even manage to hit that in some of their high profile games, which is unacceptable to me.

5 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I think there's something wrong with my brain.  I quite literally cannot tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps when I see comparisons.

Same and I’m not arsed that I can’t see it either. 

29 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

So is it more the "experience" of using a console that you use those predominantly?

Yeah, like you guys I just love the ease of use for everything in the console eco system. The UI, the controller, the sofa play, the easy digital purchases, automatic updates, the online connectivity, the party chat... and Destiny raids with my online buddies. Sheer gaming bliss.

My PC I use for certain indies and heavily discounted "patient gamer" fare. I'll play blockbuster triple-A titles on my PC, years after they originally released. I very very rarely purchase games when they first come out.

On 10/2/2018 at 7:35 PM, Nick Parker said:

You're discussing two things here: the hypothetical quality of their games were they purely to work on software, and the money they would make if their software would be available on "larger" consoles (though keep in mind that the 3DS alone, as of last year, outsold the PS4). The first I already somewhat addressed: it's all a "complete package" so to speak, with Nintendo. They set the rules, they choose what and how they want to do it, and have the complete freedom to do so. If we're making idle what-ifs, then it's only too easy to imagine them losing this freedom were they to become a third-party company. 

As to your second point: that could be very well true, it makes a lot of sense. But who says that absolute maximization of profit is their end goal? They have decades worth of capital, they ain't hurtin' for cash, and they get to make video games the way they see fit, continually experimenting and innovating. Sounds like a complete win scenario to me.

But these are all more "big picture" things. Please forgive me if you mentioned this earlier, Koray, but why do you personally want them to stop making hardware?

There’s not much hypothetical pondering to it. Nintendo develops great games. It’s only logical that those games would be better with more dedicated resources granted by cutting out hardware. Imagine Zelda running at 60 frames in 4K UHD on all consoles, with rich textures and lighting. It’s something that isn’t possible on the Switch. When we live in a time where games like Horizon and The Witcher 3 are possible, Zelda feels antiquated. I know I’m in the vast minority with that stance, but I truly don’t see the game’s allure when stacked against the competition. 

I don’t understand your point about them losing control as a third party. They would still be their own company making their own games the way they want to make them. 

And your final point about them not wanting to maximize profit just seems naive. 

But Nintendo is Nintendo, and I guess fans can rely on their inability to change. 

And your final point about them not wanting to maximize profit just seems naive. 

Craigslist operates in a similar mindset. The founder has had a ridiculous amount of offers that would essentially make his company millions more, but he turns them because of his dedication to his principles of what he wants the site to be.

If Nintendo wanted to play the more more more game, they could've done that long, long ago. Their actions outline their philosophies on the matter quite well, I'd say. They've also been around since the late 19th century, so really, I think they're doing alright without that mentality.

I don’t understand your point about them losing control as a third party. They would still be their own company making their own games the way they want to make them. 

Wojo somewhat addressed this, but further, you don't think they'd have to answer to any higher power as a software company? 

It’s only logical that those games would be better with more dedicated resources granted by cutting out hardware. Imagine Zelda running at 60 frames in 4K UHD on all consoles, with rich textures and lighting.

Sure, maybe their games would have more power behind them in the ways you describe, and probably more. But frankly, if you don't like a game such as Breath of the Wild--I'm using this as both a direct response to what you say as well as a microcosm--would these things really change your opinion of the game? 

The Zelda games have always had cartoony graphics. Would Breath of the Wild really be improved by more phororealistic people and surroundings? I think as it stands, its charm is the survival game element of the environmental effects and crafting system. 

6 minutes ago, Wojism said:

its charm is the survival game element of the environmental effects and crafting system. 

A huge part for sure, which is why I love Eventide Island so much: it showed the game's base mechanics are so fully-fledged that you can strip everything away except the fundamentals, and it works equally well. My only wish is that they did more of it. 

Of course, the beautiful, extremely well-thought out lay of the land, the feeling of adventure and discovery, the true freedom of gameplay that lends itself to much discussion between friends, the bizarre, most sexually-laden sense of humor to ever come from Nintendo...those are all nice, too.

2 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Craigslist operates in a similar mindset. The founder has had a ridiculous amount of offers that would essentially make his company millions more, but he turns them because of his dedication to his principles of what he wants the site to be.

If Nintendo wanted to play the more more more game, they could've done that long, long ago. Their actions outline their philosophies on the matter quite well, I'd say. They've also been around since the late 19th century, so really, I think they're doing alright without that mentality.

Wojo somewhat addressed this, but further, you don't think they'd have to answer to any higher power as a software company? 

Sure, maybe their games would have more power behind them in the ways you describe, and probably more. But frankly, if you don't like a game such as Breath of the Wild--I'm using this as both a direct response to what you say as well as a microcosm--would these things really change your opinion of the game? 

What higher power?? They aren’t owned by anyone. 

Played Super Mario Party with my wife and eldest child last night.  Two very enthusiastic thumbs up, fine holiday fun.

Haven't played a Mario Party in 10 years and this seemed like the perfect game and time to jump back in.  The mini games were great, my daughter loved it all.

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Played Super Mario Party with my wife and eldest child last night.  Two very enthusiastic thumbs up, fine holiday fun.

Haven't played a Mario Party in 10 years and this seemed like the perfect game and time to jump back in.  The mini games were great, my daughter loved it all.

Great to hear! Glad they gave it a big hiatus to go fresh again....

I used Zazzle to design a custom mug yesterday, the Mario coffee mug I’ve always wanted.  They of course rejected it for copyright infringement, which I figured might happen but still sucks :( 

Its beautiful!

3D34802B-DDF9-4884-B45C-89A265D91383.jpeg

02BE3FF5-BB74-412E-AF38-86BF4A40FDCC.jpeg

39 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

I love that Super Mario World/90's design of Mario so much (see my avatar after all), I would start drinking coffee to use that mug!

What I had started work on before they cancelled the Mario order...

4EABC8A7-BC13-4751-8B5B-32818D60831C.jpeg

The only "casual" piece of merchandise I own of anything is a mug with Mario's face on it that I got for placing 2nd in a local retro gaming/computing quiz.

Nope. Horror in games is really not my thing. 20 minutes in Layers of Fear is the furthest I've ever ventured and I haven't started Alien: Isolation yet.

2 minutes ago, Holko said:

Nope. Horror in games is really not my thing. 20 minutes in Layers of Fear is the furthest I've ever ventured and I haven't started Alien: Isolation yet.

My maaaannn, you _gotta_ try at least Silent Hills 2 and 3! You're going through all of these Halloween movies, why not give yourself the treat of great Holkoween games? If it helps, you can say these games are not so much horror, but rather "psychological adventure" games...that can be scary. :P

What's not your thing about horror in games?