The NINTENDO Thread

Jay

38 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Do you mean the game art style, that 3D anime kind of look?

Yes, the art style in the game - what other art style would I be referring to? :lol:

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yes, the art style in the game - what other art style would I be referring to? :lol:

I think he meant versus the 2D animated cut scenes

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

There are the 2D anime looking drawings of the characters that appear for character interaction such as dialogue, not the main game, then there are the cutscenes.

I don't care about the Mana series at all.

18 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

I think where the surprise comes for most people is that by the trailer it appears to be a direct sequel to Breath of the Wild rather than a "spiritual" one as usual. Last time the big Nintendo boys did something like this was in 2000, and Majora's Mask was a rarity then, too.

A direct sequel makes the most sense, though. With all the success on all levels, they would have been stupid to not do it, also with all the timeline talk. People are aching for an expansion of the BotW story.

Ocarina of Time was also the last Zelda game to warrant a direct sequel with all the success.

I want one - $20 for a new CD or $60 for a new game isn’t easy to come by when you’re paying hundreds of dollars every week to a daycare center, let alone $300!  We’re on a beach vacation right now, and that was a marvel of scrimping and saving and unfortunately still credit cards.

This game will be the one I save for, though. 

Super Mario Maker 2 will likely be my favorite game of the year, but part of me wishes they had first made a full-on Nintendo-crafted new 2D Mario game in the Super Mario 3D World/Land style.  They were already a pair of games that took 3D Mario back to the spirit of 2D Mario levels, it would have made perfect sense to create an actual 2D game in that style.

Yea I'm a bit miffed we already know the next two major Zelda releases post-BOTW, but we don't really know what the next major Mario plans are post-Odyssey.  I know Mario Maker 2 technically counts as a major Mario game, and of course the fact you get 100 new Nintendo-crafted levels without ever going on line or building your own levels essentially makes it like a new 2D Mario game, but I hope they are working on a true new 2D Mario game as well as a true new 3D Mario game.

I'd also love some sort of port of all the best levels from New Super Mario (DS), New Super Mario 2 (3DS) and New Super Mario Bros Wii, all mixed up and rearranged maybe with some new ones in HD graphics (essentially use the NSMBWiiU Swith port engine and graphics)

And of course, I'd love a port of Super Mario 3D World for the Switch (Maybe with all the levels from 3D Land added as a bonus!?) as well as a true followup to that game

But I also love it when Nintendo does something unexpected, so a new Mario game that's in a whole brand new style would be awesome too.

Hopefully something cool is planned for 2020 or whenever the MM2 lifecycle is winding down

43Switch.png

I am day-1 buying 7 of these (MM2, Link's Awakening, Luigi's Mansion 3, Hollow Knight 2, Bayonetta 3, Metroid Prime 4, Zelda 20), and range from "might buy" to "will probably buy" another 6 (Cadence of Hyrule, Bloodstained, Fire Emblem, Ni No Kuni, DQ11, Trials of Mana).  Impressive!

I just bought Doom for Switch as the price was finally right (it's on sale for $30 digitally right now).  So if I love it, Doom Eternal might be a Day 1 purchase for me.

BTW I love that I just bought the game on Nintendo.com and it's currently downloading on my Switch at home right now.

Yea I was tempted by that sale!

On 6/11/2019 at 1:44 PM, Jay said:

Oooh, Nintendo eStore is having a sale

https://e3.nintendo.com/sale/

I might pick up Shantae:Half Genie Hero for $10 and Shantae and the Pirate's Curse for $12!

HOLLOW KNIGHT for $7.50 is an absolute steal!

So is Celeste for $13.39 especially with the 100 level free DLC coming out soon

Skyrim, Doom, and Wolfenstein II for $30 each is also a steal

I will certainly be playing on the 'I'm Too Young to Die' difficulty.  And even at that I'll be surprised if I can finish it.  I suuuuuck at FPSes, but my nostalgia for the 90s Dooms is great.

NEVER!?

Oh you mean a game that didn't contain the code, not that you ever played without using it

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

NEVER!?

Oh you mean a game that didn't contain the code, not that you ever played without using it

Yeah, and I have such good memories of just exploring the latter levels of Doom and Doom 2, the ones I could never get to playing normally, with the cheats on.

11 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

@Disco Stu Let me know how it plays on Switch! I'm still skeptical if not cynical about more or less modern shooters playing on a Nintendo platform. 

I think it depends on your priorities.  I will gladly sacrifice the fidelity of the PS4 version for the motion aiming available on Switch.  I'll update you tomorrow on how I feel, but my opinion should be taken with a golf ball sized grain of salt because I do not play modern shooters.  This will be the first FPS I've played since the 2010 Goldeneye remake which was too hard for me.

I played that Goldeneye remake somewhere briefly once.  It just wasn't the same as the N64 original

Get a Switch!  You can play Dragon Quest XI with an orchestral score on Switch, too

Well I forgot that my micro SD card was lost with my original Switch back in 2017.  I just haven't run out of space until now because I bought all retail games physically up until today with DOOM.  So I won't be playing it tonight after all.  I ordered a 400 GB one to come Saturday.

Since I couldn't play Doom I decided that I'd finally start the Mortal Kombat 11 story mode.  However that required a 8GB patch or story mode is inaccessible.  This is ON TOP OF the 16GB patch I already downloaded when I first put the game card in a few weeks ago.  I hate modern gaming.

Cadence of Hyrule downloading now!  Only 700MB :) 

Yea I think I put a 256GB one in my Switch, I wonder when I'll run out of space; like you I buy physical editions as often as possible so hopefully not for a while

9 minutes ago, Dieter Stark said:

Disco Stu only posts in videogame threads?

Correction:

*only posts in videogame and classical music threads

I am a man of very specific tastes.

Just now, Disco Stu said:

I hate Cadence of Hyrule!  It’s awful!  I wish they had released a demo or that I could get my money back

Oh snap, really? What's your problem with it? I thought it looked pretty charming, from what I've seen of it and Crypt of the Necro Dancer.

6 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I think it depends on your priorities.  I will gladly sacrifice the fidelity of the PS4 version for the motion aiming available on Switch.  I'll update you tomorrow on how I feel, but my opinion should be taken with a golf ball sized grain of salt because I do not play modern shooters.  This will be the first FPS I've played since the 2010 Goldeneye remake which was too hard for me.

I'm more concerned about smooth framerates, etc.

3 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Oh snap, really? What's your problem with it? I thought it looked pretty charming, from what I've seen of it and Crypt of the Necro Dancer.

I hate the rhythm based combat, I hate the Roguelike design/systems.  I learned a $25 lesson about my taste I guess.

I’ve really enjoyed rhythm games in the past, notably Rhythm Heaven and Sega’s Rhythm Thief,  but this crap does not do it for me

Yooo, sorry to hear that. :( Think there's any chance it might grow on you? If you're not used to that gameplay it's a huge leap.

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I’ve really enjoyed Rhythm Heaven 

At least we know your taste is working.

Bethany beach in Delaware - but floating through Rehoboth and Ocean City MD as needed.

Interested in Links Awakening, too.  Wonder if it will include any of the stuff from the previous remake (DX?) like didn’t it have a new dungeon 

42 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Interested in Links Awakening, too.  Wonder if it will include any of the stuff from the previous remake (DX?) like didn’t it have a new dungeon 

They confirmed it would feature all of the same added content from the DX version, with the joke that the novelty of color might have worn off between then and now though. 

Yes, the DX rerelease of Link's Awakening added a new dungeon (the color dungeon) and it wasn't known until e3 if the Switch remake would contain it or not ... But I was just listening to a Nintendo podcast tonight and they said they saw the color dungeon in footage shown, so it's included!

Believe me or not, but I typed all that out shortly after Mike's post and thought I hit submit... And then when I reopened my browser a while later it was still there unsent so I hit submit...and saw you had already replied. I thought about editing my post to say something else, but then got lazy and didn't :p