The NINTENDO Thread

Jay

I'd love to get and delve into that game, and will once I've gotten some other 80+ hour games off my plate

I'm usually a big Yoshi fan, but Yoshi's Crafted World I don't get into at all. There is something about the gameplay and the sickly sweet theme that rubs me the wrong way.

2 hours ago, gkgyver said:

I'm usually a big Yoshi fan, but Yoshi's Crafted World I don't get into at all. There is something about the gameplay and the sickly sweet theme that rubs me the wrong way.

Play Woolly World instead. :) 

Yea Crafted World hasn't been received that well.  I don't think any Nintendo podcast I listen to talked about it more than once.  Small blip on the radar.  Hopefully they port Woolly World to Switch, and are working on a new Yoshi game more like that one, or the original, I guess

I almost forgot Dr Mario World got a trailer last night

It looks.... ungood

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I know it says that he's still producing the Zelda series but I bet in reality Hidemaro Fujibayashi will be taking on more and more of the direct oversight of the franchise.  Which is a good thing!

I dunno, seems like Fujibayashi is best focusing on directing one great game at a time... I'm not even sure if the franchise needs someone to "oversee" it - not even sure what you mean by that

Aonuma has been overseeing the franchise for almost 20 years.  Steering the ship, promoting and shooting down ideas, controlling what ideas go up the decision-making chain, etc.  It's only natural for him to cede some of that oversight to Fujibayashi.  He absolutely shouldn't be directing every game, it's important for a long-running series to bring in new talent and let that talent take some ownership.  Just like how Miyamoto ceded a lot of direct decision-making about Mario games to Koizumi 15 years ago.

We don't know everything about the internal structure of their development groups, but it is very structured in that Japanese way.

It was very telling when Aonuma was interviewed by Game Informer last week and he was taken aback by that wishy-washy Western language of using the word "collaborator."  The article framed it as "Aonuma still excited to be collaborating with Miyamoto" but I think the story is more that Aonuma thinks of Miyamoto as a boss, not a creative partner.  Which says a lot about how Nintendo operates.

"I've never thought of it as collaborating with him! Now that you've phrased it that way, I think, 'Oh, working with Mr. Miyamoto is a collaboration.' That's kind of exciting!"

https://www.gameinformer.com/e3-2019/2019/06/14/after-all-these-years-eiji-aonuma-still-gets-excited-at-the-idea-of

I never said every game, I just meant for example right now, he's best focusing on Directing Breath of the Wild 2 while somebody else oversees the Link's Awakening remake, Cadence of Hyrule, and whatever is gonna come out on the Switch before BOTW2 drops, be it Wind Waker HD / Twilight Princess HD ports, Ocarina / Majora ports, a brand new 2D game, etc.

Anyways, I was just glad that Nintendo saw the value in Aonuma to promote him to a nice position, so he isn't tempted to leave for another studio or form his own company like Sakurai.  Keep him happy!

Fun fact: Breath of the Wild is getting a sequel because the team had too many ideas for DLC

Neat!

I'm really thinking this could be out by Holiday 2020!

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Link's Awakening remake is developed by Grezzo (who also handled the N64 remakes on 3DS)

Nooooo! The swimming mechanics in the original were so fluid and fun, now they're gonna--oh wait.

1 hour ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

So, sort of like how Galaxy 2 happened, eh?

My thoughts exactly. 

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Neat!

I'm really thinking this could be out by Holiday 2020!

My thoughts exactly. 

Yea, at this point I think we've got a Twilight Princess / Breath of the Wild situation on our hands; It'll be a launch title for the Switch successor (but also available on Switch)

Also, like, it's been 5+ years since Tropical Freeze came out originally.  What have Retro been doing between that and taking on Metroid???  If a game wasn't revealed at E3, maybe we'll never know.

They had a nice discusison about that on the recent NXPress I think it was... or maybe a recent Nintendo World Report.  Basically, they figured whatever it was, it must have been cancelled.  There's really no other valid reason we wouldn't know what it is by now.  Big bummer!

Yea if it WAS that ,maybe they are waiting a bit so it doesn't come too soon after the Tropical Freeze port... but then I would have thought they'd have just released that port sooner if a sequel was almost ready.  

It's weird.

I mean, you go to their website and the newest item in their "News" tab is from 2015

https://www.retrostudios.com/news/

Well it is a collaborative joint, maybe the other company has been taking the heavy load, for now, _orrrrr_, Retro employees have been flocking under the other studio's wing until the position has been filled, _orrrrr_, maybe there _was_ an art director at Retro working on the game but he/she got #MeToo'd or had to spend time with the kids or took a medical leave of absence...or something. 

The fact that Retro needs an art director for Prime 4 isn't the surprising part, it's simply that it seems to indicate the game ain't coming out any time soon, which just kind of made it more weird we still know nothing about what they've been up to for the past 5 years after Tropical Freeze before they got the Prime 4 gig

45 minutes ago, Jay said:

The fact that Retro needs an art director for Prime 4 isn't the surprising part, it's simply that it seems to indicate the game ain't coming out any time soon

You could certainly be right, and probably are, but I was pointing out possible alternatives saying all 'cause they're hiring now doesn't mean they're necessarily at Ground Zero after the delay was announced. 

Speaking of 100% in the other thread, I 100%-ed Super Metroid for the first time in my life this month.

Great game! 

I can't remember if I did 100% when I beat it back in the day. Been meaning to replay it

Daaaammmnnnn, Metroid is one of my favorite series and I've never done that! I just never had the wherewithal, they made some of those items tough!

The Metroid 2 remake was too easy to 100%.

I have to admit I used a guide for 5% of the items.

I used a OG SNES controller and adapter I bought to use it with the VC version.

On 18. Juni 2019 at 9:26 PM, Disco Stu said:

Aonuma has been overseeing the franchise for almost 20 years.  Steering the ship, promoting and shooting down ideas, controlling what ideas go up the decision-making chain, etc.  It's only natural for him to cede some of that oversight to Fujibayashi.  He absolutely shouldn't be directing every game, it's important for a long-running series to bring in new talent and let that talent take some ownership.  Just like how Miyamoto ceded a lot of direct decision-making about Mario games to Koizumi 15 years ago.

We don't know everything about the internal structure of their development groups, but it is very structured in that Japanese way.

It was very telling when Aonuma was interviewed by Game Informer last week and he was taken aback by that wishy-washy Western language of using the word "collaborator."  The article framed it as "Aonuma still excited to be collaborating with Miyamoto" but I think the story is more that Aonuma thinks of Miyamoto as a boss, not a creative partner.  Which says a lot about how Nintendo operates.

https://www.gameinformer.com/e3-2019/2019/06/14/after-all-these-years-eiji-aonuma-still-gets-excited-at-the-idea-of

Clear cut hierarchy produces focus and quality. Something that the "judging by performance is cruel" generation should learn again.

On 6/11/2019 at 12:14 PM, The Original said:

I might revisit Godzilla: Monster of Monsters on NES.

My late Mother-in-law bought me a game cube and the Godzilla game for it when it first came out. 

I still have both.

10 minutes ago, El Jefe said:

My late Mother-in-law bought me a game cube and the Godzilla game for it when it first came out. 

I still have both.

That game was tons of fun with friends! 

Come to think of it,  that game might've been my introduction to Godzilla! 

Blerg.  I'm so pumped for MARIO MAKER 2 coming out this Friday, BUT we are going away on a family vacation to Maine and won't be back till Sunday night.

But on top of that, I don't want my pre-order to bake in the sun on my porch all weekend, so I have to have it sent to my office, which means I won't get it till Monday which means I won't get to PLAY it until Monday evening.  Blah!

@Disco Stu you planning on putting a lot of hours into it this weekend?

21 hours ago, Jay said:

@Disco Stu you planning on putting a lot of hours into it this weekend?

I've got kind of a busy weekend, but I'll be putting in as much time as I can to get through the story mode levels.

Oooh lucky!  

Weird price though, didn't you get the $51.99 pre-order price Amazon offered?  Is your state sales tax that high?

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Oooh lucky!  

Weird price though, didn't you get the $51.99 pre-order price Amazon offered?  Is your state sales tax that high?

I hadn't heard about the 51.99 thing.  I checked my order and 55.82 was the pre-tax price actually.  Maybe I'll get a refund of a few dollars, Amazon usually does the "we'll give you the lowest price between when you ordered and release" thing.

Yup you should definitely get a refund for the difference, they are good with that

Just checked my Amazon order and Mario Maker 2 and Shadow of the Tomb Raider are arriving tomorrow, but the Spider-man Far From Home OST, which is also supposed to be releasing tomorrow, says "We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date." lol  Gotta love Sony Classical

Skyrim is actually a delight to play on Switch with the joycons. Instead the holding my hands a few inches apart holding a gamepad, I can lazily hold them as far apart as I want. I'm even sure I get better attack results swinging the joycons as a shield and sword instead of just using the buttons.

Though I do dislike the following:

Casual motions of the joycons will unsheath the weapons. This can be annoying once you get Lydia, and risky in close quarters with NPCs. Be aware of your surroundings. 

I can't get used to the jump button. I either release my weapon or use a shout. So if I have a power bound, then it's easy to waste a daily power. 

16 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Me playing a level from the Celeste dude.  This part took me more tries than I care to admit.

The level ID if you'd care to try to: H8K-3B9-WDG

I'm glad he's making levels right away!

I just arrived at the office to find MM2 and Shadow of the Tomb Raider waiting for me; Can't wait to start playing tonight!

Have you gone through the 100 levels of the story mode yet?

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Have you gone through the 100 levels of the story mode yet?

I'm about halfway through the story mode.  I actually love the story mode, it's incredibly charming.  There's even a little more to it than just the one Toad who has levels for you, there's also a bit of light exploration (ish) involved by taking on levels from other characters.  Like "do this level that purple Toad asks for and it will open up this pipe to go talk to this character who has other levels for you"

My eldest is in love with it too.  She'll ask me to do "more castle work."

Nice, can't wait to dig in tonight

You playing entirely on TV with pro controller?