The NINTENDO Thread

Jay

Ah, nice.  How do the 3D World levels play?  Nice translation to that game's physics to 2D?

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

Ah, nice.  How do the 3D World levels play?  Nice translation to that game's physics to 2D?

It took a little getting used to.  At first, just based on the (relatively) similarly visuals my brain was sort of expecting it to play like NSMBU, but it's pretty different in feel.  I like it!  I want an actual game like that!

I hope Nintendo is cooking up an awesome new 2D Mario game for 2020.  New Super Mario 5 would be a disappointment.

Played the first 15 levels of Mario Maker 2 last night!  Fun stuff all around.

I like that they basically introduce you to one new mechanic per level, good way to learn stuff.  Kinda funny that they seem to go out of their way to introduce stuff in a game mode different than the one that introduced it, IE on/off switches in Mario 1 style, Angry Sun in Mario World style, etc.

The new 3D World style is interesting!  Took a while to get used to, because it is so deceptively similar to the New Super Mario U style, thanks to the fact they re-used a lot of the music and Mario looks kind of the same, plus its in gorgeous HD.  But man, the physics for him running are quite different, and the long jump is unexpected, the whole thing felt a bit clunky, though I think that was really just do to it being brand new more than anything else; I'm sure I'll grow accustomed to it in time.  It sure is one GORGEOUS style, I loved the rich background art.

All the new music I've heard so far is fantastic!

Dang I really gotta get this.

I wish they had Super Mario Bros 2 (USA) style for this one.

I recently beat Cuphead, but only about a 1/4 way finished with Expert and it's taking a toll on me.  Can't wait for the DLC.

Will probably finish up Katana Zero soon as well.

Played Mario Maker 2 story mode levels 16-18 last night, the one where you have to manage the claw to drop enemies in the right spot to get keys was neat

Been playing Mario Maker 2 a lot (well as much as I can). There’s so many neat ideas on story mode. My favorite so far is an underground level that plays with the night theme so it reverses gravity.

I have to say I haven’t really liked the Mario 3D World style so far. I don’t know why but it seems off, and I pretty much suck at it even though in other styles I’m quite a decent player. I haven’t even tried it on the course maker.

Speaking of which I do miss the Wii U’s two screens, it takes a lot more time to make a level. Another thing is that it seems very hard to have your levels played, on the original I never had that issue, and most levels were played or even liked almost immediately, on MM2 no one has played my levels except one.

Anyway, also got Bloodstained but it’s almost unplayable right now.

Yea I've gotten through 21 levels in the story mode so far (have barely had any chance to play), and now I guess I gotta do a bunch of side-quest levels before I can unlock level 22 since the main guy isn't giving me that option

I haven't warmed up too much to the 3D World levels yet either, but I think there's just a learning curve involved to adapt to the new style

Funny thing is Nintendo could easily allow the WIi U Tablet to connect to a Switch and be used for games if they wanted to, but I doubt they ever will.  However I don't really get how it can ultimately be that different to make courses in tablet mode with a stylus?  Unless you just mean to test out sections in between placing things, you can't look up at the screen and play there

Well that’s just the thing, the Switch doesn’t have a stylus (and using the finger isn’t very precise), the one they made for this game is only available in Europe I think and the Wii U one doesn’t work with the Switch. I guess I could look for a stylus somewhere but considering I had to get the online already for this game I’m not sure how much more money I want to invest in Mario Maker 2.

Haha, there is really no such thing as a stylus "Made for this game"; All that is is a completely bog standard capacitive stylus with mario maker graphics wrapped around the outside.

You can find capacitive styluses on Amazon for under $10.  Any capacitive stylus that works with iphones, android phones, tablets etc etc will work with the Switch

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=amazon+basics+capacitive+stylus&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

I’ve played and seen everything Story Mode has to offer as of this morning.  Worth the price of admission for me by itself.

I haven’t opened Course Maker and probably never will.

Nice, Stu!  I haven't had much time to play; I've currently completely levels 1-31 I think, plus like 9 of the unnumbered side-quest levels.  Everything has been super fun so far!

I haven't opened the level editor yet either, but while I doubt I'll bother to make full courses and post them online for people to play, it CAN be very fun to play around in there - go through all the styles, here all the music, see what all the item combinations do, etc - plus, it can be fun to open up levels you play online to see how they made certain things happen.  However, I heard MM2 doesn't allow you to open other people's levels anymore, which is odd if true

It’s true and the reason behind it is supposedly so people can’t take someone else’s levels, make a minor change and post it as their own.

I've finished 50 levels of the Story Mode now, and while I've had a lot of fun and they've had a bunch of clever levels and a bunch of wild and wacky levels (not to mention some wild and wacky stuff in the overworld like that frog in the clouds (!!)), I can't help but feel that something is missing, and this morning I realized what it was: The total independence every level has from each other.

In a mainline Mario game, as you go through a level you might find some clever secret passage with gives you an alt exit that opens up new levels or different paths to other levels, or maybe a powerup that if you can keep till the end, you can bring into the next level.  Also, every 1-up you find along the way aggregates together giving you more lives to help out with the tougher levels.

Here, you simply get 5 lives for every level and that's it.  Finding secrets, gathering one-ups, even gathering coins is kinda pointless, all that matters is touching the goal post to clear the level, and move on to the next.  The 150 or 200 coins you get for clearing each level aggregates to be enough to unlock all the castle upgrades you need to.

I think if they had made hte small change of having 1-ups in story mode matter, by having them all aggregate together so you have more lives to beat the tougher levels would have gone a long way to relieve some of this.  As it stands, you kind of simultaneously have infinite lives to beat a level because you can try each one unlimited times iwth no penalties, but also have tha limit of 5 meaning every 5 fails, you lose your checkpoint and have to return to the beginning of the level and do the first half again.

Oh, and another thing: The more I play 3D World themed levels, the more I am LOVING that level style!!

Technically this has one feature the OG Switch doesn't - a real D-PAD!  though TBH, the button D PAD on the normal Switch is fine, and if you're playing on TV you should be using a pro controller anyway

But yea in general it is lacking for sure, and I'd agree that saving $100 to lose these features isn't worth it

• Cannot be docked or connected to TV at all
  • Slightly smaller screen (5.5" vs 6.2")
  • No IR or HD rumble
  • No automatic brightness adjustment sensor

Lots of kids will be getting this and the new Pokemon game under the tree this winter

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

You don't think a Switch upgrade will be out before Christmas?

I don't.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the upgraded Switch was Q4 for the 20-21 fiscal year.  My prediction: Either September 2020 or March 2021.  Perhaps I'll eat those words but there it is!

Well NVIDIA already released the updated version of the chip in the original Switch so I'd think it's already being manufactured and they just want to get the Lite out first. 

Probably announce in October, out in December.  But who knows!

Hahaha

How goes Mario Maker 2, found any cool makes to follow, played any interesting levels?

Where you as freaked out by the dancing frog in the clouds as I was?

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

Hahaha

How goes Mario Maker 2, found any cool makes to follow, played any interesting levels?

Where you as freaked out by the dancing frog in the clouds as I was?

My 2-year-old son excitedly squealed "DANCE FWOG!".  The dancing frog was a big hit with my two non-infant children.

My internet was down for 5 days after a storm on Independence Day so I'm a little out of the loop.  I remember really liking the levels of the popular French creator named Dynasteel (or something like that) and I followed him.  He has a couple of really popular 20 second speed run levels, but I discovered that his other levels were also pretty cool.

I've spent the vast majority of my time in the story mode so far, only just beginning to dip my toes into the community pool.

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

5 DAYS!?  WOW!

Luckily our Verizon billing cycle refresh happened to fall 2 days into the outage so we didn't have risk any data overage charges.

I turned off the adaptive brightness on my Switch anyway.  I found that it often was not at a brightness I wanted and it's not exactly hard to adjust manually, just hold down the Home button.

I just got the best email from Nintendo!

image.png

A) It's awesome Nintendo is finally making PROPER use of that Wish List feature!

B) Those are great prices for both games!!

I'm still playing Breath of the Wild.  I've been playing it off and on since I got it on launch day a couple years ago.

I'm almost at 999,999 rupees.  All the legit way, no crazy farming or any of that.  Just good ole Lynel slaying, and selling gems.

I still enjoy just being in that world.

Can't wait to see what the sequel will be like.

Wow awesome!  I need to return to that at some point, I loved every minute of it when I first played it (other than some tough boss battles)

36 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

I'm still playing Breath of the Wild.  I've been playing it off and on since I got it on launch day a couple years ago.

I'm almost at 999,999 rupees.  All the legit way, no crazy farming or any of that.  Just good ole Lynel slaying, and selling gems.

I still enjoy just being in that world.

Can't wait to see what the sequel will be like.

I assume you've been through the DLC? It's not as deep as I was hoping for (but confirmed my suspicions for a sequel), but it's still pretty fun, and the Master Sword Trial is the closest the game gets again to Eventide Island. 

I already was pretty sour on Fire Emblem: Three Houses, and now after seeing the opening cutscene I am thoroughly OUT

I love Fire Emblem, but Fates burnt me pretty hard. I'm gonna wait on the reviews for this one...I'll stay away from cutscenes in the chance I might actually play it. What's the turn-off, Jay?

2 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

I assume you've been through the DLC? It's not as deep as I was hoping for (but confirmed my suspicions for a sequel), but it's still pretty fun, and the Master Sword Trial is the closest the game gets again to Eventide Island. 

I actually haven't played any of the DLC but have entertained the idea of doing the Master Sword Trial because I feel like I haven't been tested in that game in a long time.

Every weapon I have is either a savage lynel sword or crusher.

I have every armor piece fully upgraded, and I'm pretty much done looking for Korok seeds at about 600.

I really play this game just to relax and wind down at this point.