The NINTENDO Thread

Jay

28 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

I actually haven't played any of the DLC but have entertained the idea of doing the Master Sword Trial because I feel like I haven't been tested in that game in a long time.

If you want a challenge, then the Master Sword Trial, on Master Mode, is where you'll find it! 

3 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

I love Fire Emblem, but Fates burnt me pretty hard. I'm gonna wait on the reviews for this one...I'll stay away from cutscenes in the chance I might actually play it. What's the turn-off, Jay?

I mean, did you watch it?  It's pretty lame.

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

I mean, did you watch it?  It's pretty lame.

My answer to that is in the post you quoted!  That goes beyond Cremeritis!

Listened to the Mario Maker 2 music, Kondo made some fun tracks for it!

I know, but it's not a mid-game cut-scene, it's the opening one, so I thought that would be "allowed" under your conditions

Anyways, it's just awfully cliched, and not very engaging. And I just don't like the artstyle.  I know it's just the opening cutscene and it doesn't tell you anything about gameplay, but it does set the tone and I don't like the tone it sets or really anything about it.  

I'm not disappointing or anything; I've never played a FE game before other than Heroes, and I hadn't looking forward to this game too much or anything, more mildly curious since I do love Heroes so much and the franchise as a whole is so beloved..... but eh, I'm probably more likely to start with Awakening or Sacred Stones or, more hopefully, a Switch remake of Ike's two games, than this one, unless I can pick it up for twenty bucks in the future or something

3 hours ago, Jay said:

I know, but it's not a mid-game cut-scene, it's the opening one, so I thought that would be "allowed" under your conditions

Anyways, it's just awfully cliched, and not very engaging. And I just don't like the artstyle.  I know it's just the opening cutscene and it doesn't tell you anything about gameplay, but it does set the tone and I don't like the tone it sets or really anything about it.  

I'm not disappointing or anything; I've never played a FE game before other than Heroes, and I hadn't looking forward to this game too much or anything, more mildly curious since I do love Heroes so much and the franchise as a whole is so beloved..... but eh, I'm probably more likely to start with Awakening or Sacred Stones or, more hopefully, a Switch remake of Ike's two games, than this one, unless I can pick it up for twenty bucks in the future or something

I loved Awakening, and was thoroughly caught in its story, but I warn you, it's got anime stuff up the wazoo if that's something that intrinsically turns you off. 

The Fire Emblem games, up until the Gamecube one, _never_ were known because of their storytelling--in fact, lame generic Japanese fixation on medieval Europe with magic is the name of the game for the series' run. But the gameplay is so much fun, and in the games where the AI and your units' abilities is well balanced (unlike Awakening), you really feel like a strategic mastermind. 

That last is what, and all, I hope for this new one.

On 7/12/2019 at 7:22 PM, Nick Parker said:

If you want a challenge, then the Master Sword Trial, on Master Mode, is where you'll find it! 

I'll look into it!

I just beat Cuphead and that took so much video game strength from me.  That I've needed a 'difficulty' break.

Making my way through story mode of Mario Maker 2, at I believe 80something% complete now.  Some of the mechanics introduced are really fun, like carrying a heavy stone to the end, almost any way they implement on/off switches, using koopa shells to get keys that let you go into the next room, etc.  All the 3D World levels are awesome, I like it's versions of piranha plants and thwomps, and the see-through pipes are great.

One thing I'm not sure about is the koopa car, it seems finicky to control to me in the two levels I've had to use it (well, one story mode level, and one of those levels that plays out behind the opening logo if you want to play it before going into the game).  Do you guys like it?

I don’t really like the cars, there doesn’t seem to be much you can do with the cars. Every level I’ve played with them feels like a “runner style” platformer, where you go really fast and can’t stop and you have to time jumps without really knowing what’s ahead. In general I haven’t really liked the 3D World style all that much and I’ve yet to make a level with that style.

Yup exactly how I feel about the cars too! 

I like the 3D World style based on Story Mode, i haven't played any online levels yet. 

Funny, I got an email from Amazon Mexico saying Luigi’s mansion was shipping on October 4th. Must be a mistake, I don’t think there’s ever been an early mexican release date for anything.

On 7/17/2019 at 8:51 AM, Diego said:

Funny, I got an email from Amazon Mexico saying Luigi’s mansion was shipping on October 4th. Must be a mistake, I don’t think there’s ever been an early mexican release date for anything.

Yeah, the games themselves in the development phase go through their US, Mexican, and Canadian incarnations simultaneously. 

Been reading reviews of Three Houses. Sounds like it's not the dumpster fire that Fates was, but I'm getting worried by the descriptions of the strategy elements.

I played a little Mario Maker 2 last night and the News section of my Home Screen had a blurb about Luigi's Mansion releasing October 31 so I dunno why you're seeing October 4

The 20 second levels are so much fun.  It takes what was a plague on the first Mario Maker (auto play levels/just hold right levels) and makes them really fun and interactive.

Oh yeah you're not playing online yet.  It's a really popular subgenre in Mario Maker 2.  20 second speed run levels that use the on/off switch blocks in very creative ways that usually mix you hitting the switches yourself and things like thwomps hitting them as you run through the course.  Very satisfying.

Ah I getcha, I've seen some of those on youtube

Anyone here going to check out Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3?

Wow that's great, I guess the catridges are small enough to fit in their normal disc cases

Sometimes local libraries have video games too

This morning I beat the current most popular Super Expert level.  It was very hard.  Took me about 45 minutes to get it so obviously I had to save video evidence.

Let me tell you, throwing objects UP at precise moments like this is TOUGH.

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

This morning I beat the current most popular Super Expert level.  It was very hard.  Took me about 45 minutes to get it so obviously I had to save video evidence.

Let me tell you, throwing objects UP at precise moments like this is TOUGH.

Dude, holy crap.

2 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Dude, holy crap.

Mario games are my thing!

OK I just beat another one.  It was tougher moves than the previous one (like throwing shells backward mid-jump and throwing a POW block up without jumping or accidentally ducking) but there were also fewer tough moves so it only took me like 15 minutes to beat.

Like I said the other day, I just love the 20 second speed run levels.

Goddamn! I do love that the Mario Maker games have always allowed for a sense of humor. 

Regarding Marvel Ultimate Alliance, I had some news come out that indicates it's not a very good game.

Any advice on whether the 3DS/2DS Mario Maker game is any good?  I bought a 2DS for my spouse three years ago and they never used it, so now it's mine.

Edited to add:  We are on page 64 of the Nintendo thread.

video games n64 GIF

I beat story mode in Mario Maker 2 the other night!

I was surprised I was already at the end, actually, because not only had I not come close to clearing every level yet, there were some levels I hadn't even ATTEMPTED yet.

Basically, you easily get enough coins to blow through Story Mode just by clearing any levels that don't give you too much hassle, so I'd recommend to anyone who hadn't started yet to not bother forcing yourself to complete a level you're struggling with, just move on to another one and circle back to the ones that gave you a hard time after the credits roll.

I did quite enjoy the last level, other than the koopa car part.  Overall I enjoyed story mode a lot and look forward to checking out some popular online levels as well as eventually finishing all the story mode levels I haven't yet

4 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Any advice on whether the 3DS/2DS Mario Maker game is any good?  I bought a 2DS for my spouse three years ago and they never used it, so now it's mine.

Avoid the 3DS Mario Maker.  From what I understand there's no online to speak of, no way to upload a level or play levels uploaded by others.  Which....negates the entire point of Mario Maker?

Weird.  I'm intrigued by the concept and the use of different game mechanics, but I guess I'll save it for the Switch eventually.  Guess I'll stick to the other 3DS Mario games!

Apparently it has a much beefier single player than the original on Wii U, but no where near the single player of Mario Maker 2.  Seems destined to be a footnote in the Mario legacy.

Also, I demand that people like my dumb joke about Mario's phat ass.  Do it!  Do it now!

Hey if you already own Mario Maker for 3DS, open it up and play it!  It comes with 100 levels made by Nintendo which are always worth playing, and if you go on wifi you can play levels people made for the Wii U version too (IIRC you can't browse all levels like you can on the Wii U version, its a set selection of popular levels curated by someone at Nintendo).  You can make courses too, which is fun of course, but you can't share them online for others to play, you can only share them on Streetpass, which is lame.

If you don't already own it, it's probably not worth buying, especially not when the 3DS library has sooooo many fantastic games on it - Super Mario 3D Land, New Super Mario Bros 2, Zelda; A Link Between Worlds, Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask 3D, Samus Returns, Boxboy 1-3, and of course tons of Fire Emblems and Final Fantasys and other RPGs

I  don't have it yet - all I have is some Pokémon game (I bought it for my spouse when the world was delirious with Pokémon Go Fever) and Mario Kart 7, which came with the thing.  I'll be picking up all the Zelda games eventually, and any good Mario games that come my way for a good price.  My mouth was watering at some of the virtual console entries, too - the Mario Land and Wario Land games, the two Zelda Gameboy games I'd never played, etc.  I'll probably hold off on paying the $7 for Link's Awakening, especially if a Switch is in my future.

Yea I've never played the Gameboy Zeldas either (Oracle of Ages/Seasons I mean, of course I've played Link's Awakening) and I also bought them on virtual console on my 3ds... but just haven't started yet! Looking forward to it, some day...

I count Wario Land 2 and 3 among my favorite games I experienced on my 3DS since I had never played them on GBC when I was a kid.  Both are truly great, deeply weird games.

I only ever played the first (SML3), back in GameBoy days.  In an unrelated bit of weird Wikipedia rabbit hole, I read about the other ones a month or so ago, and will definitely be into them