The NINTENDO Thread

Jay

I think it was pretty stupid for Nintendo to release a new Zelda title on the WII when they have a new console coming next year, considering the Zelda titles are so far in between releases

Thats because there had not been a Zelda game made fore the Wii before this game.

I think it was pretty stupid for Nintendo to release a new Zelda title on the WII when they have a new console coming next year, considering the Zelda titles are so far in between releases

Thats because there had not been a Zelda game made fore the Wii before this game.

Ahem.

250px-TP_Wii.jpg

It's been out since 2006.

Ahem.

250px-TP_Wii.jpg

It's been out since 2006.

Twilight Princess was designed, made for, and intended to be a Gamecube title. After it was finished, it was decided to hold off its release (for quite a long time) in order to PORT it for the Wii to boost Wii sales. Funny fact: In every Zelda game ever made, including Twilight Princess gamecube version, Link is left-handed. But since on the Wii you hold the main controller in your right hand, they had a conundrum. What do to? They decided to flip the ENTIRE GAME on its vertical axis. This made Link right-handed, but it always made EVERY map and dungeon flip-flopped! It's kinda like playing the Mirror levels in a Mario Kart game

Well, I guess I should have said "But since Nintendo assumed most Wii players would be holding the main controller in their right hand..."

• 2 weeks later...

if he means Ocarina of Time, it's not even in my top 10-15 RPG's. It was made difficult because the controiller on the N64 was so bad

And that new one on the Wii to graphically challenged to count

if he means Ocarina of Time, It was made difficult because the controller on the N64 was so bad

What about the Gamecube/Wii Classic controller?

I remember getting stuck in a few places and had to buy the guide, but it was because some commands wouldn't register properly unless you were standing on the exact pixel, or facing a certain way that was too specific for the controller to register. Or stuff in walls you had to hit you couldn't even see properly due to the low rez graphics. Then you weren't sure if you couldn't solve the puzzle or just the game not responding properly

and in some boss battles you had to manually aim with the N64 controller. Good luck

I remember getting stuck in a few places and had to buy the guide, but it was because some commands wouldn't register properly unless you were standing on the exact pixel, or facing a certain way that was too specific for the controller to register. Or stuff in walls you had to hit you couldn't even see properly due to the low rez graphics. Then you weren't sure if you couldn't solve the puzzle or just the game not responding properly

I think those problems were fixed on the Gamecube/Wii Virtual Console version.

I've played Ocarina (it was the last Zelda title I played) but I was talking about Skyward Sword. It's a masterpiece. The motion controls are flawless, the the mission design is classic Nintendo and the art style is just beautiful. It's like you're playing a whimsical adventure set amongst the brushtrokes of a vast watercolour painting, the game is an instant classic.

I've played Ocarina (it was the last Zelda title I played) but I was talking about Skyward Sword. It's a masterpiece. The motion controls are flawless, the the mission design is classic Nintendo and the art style is just beautiful. It's like a whimsical adventure which takes place in a vast watercolour painting, the game is an instant classic.

Only things I could nitpick on was that the game seemed a bit too long for me, and that it had too similar a overworld design to Metroid Prime 3.

Metroid borrowed from the original Zelda template, you mean. As do the Batman games. And the last Castlevainia title. And Darksiders.

Zelda was the first.

Metroid Prime 3 was the "first" (before Zelda SS) to have the "Fly to different locations to land an another (segmented) mini overworld"

I'll see . I'll have access to a Wii so I might play it.

Then I'll give you MY rating since I've played almost every single RPG/Action RPG on current gen consoles

Right now I'm doing Majin and the Forsaken kingdom which is similar in style to a Zelda game. It flew under my radar but it's a beautiful game

I wouldn't mind trying Xenoblades Chronicles for the Wii (which doesn't seem to be available here)

Metroid borrowed from the original Zelda template, you mean. As do the Batman games. And the last Castlevainia title. And Darksiders.

Zelda was the first.

Metroid Prime 3 was the "first" (before Zelda SS) to have the "Fly to different locations to land an another (segmented) mini overworld"

Huh? That's just an aesthetic design mechanic, though - a variation on the original template. It's exactly the same thing, in fundamental terms.

I'll see . I'll have access to a Wii so I might play it.

Then I'll give you MY rating since I've played almost every single RPG/Action RPG on current gen consoles

Don't play it on a 42" Hi-Def - it'll make your eyes bleed. Being a Wii game, the jaggies are horribly pronounced on a big HDTV. On a small screen though it looks lovely. If you don't have that option then reduce your large tv's sharpness to zero and introduce a bit of picture noise reduction. It'll look okay and a lot better than it would have done without the changes. Also, a component cable is VITAL. £2 on Amazon.

I've played Ocarina (it was the last Zelda title I played) but I was talking about Skyward Sword. It's a masterpiece. The motion controls are flawless, the the mission design is classic Nintendo and the art style is just beautiful. It's like you're playing a whimsical adventure set amongst the brushtrokes of a vast watercolour painting, the game is an instant classic.

Hot mama, that sounds really promising, and I almost never play video games anymore (I like to make exceptions for Nintendo and games like Psychonauts, though). Is that limited edition worth the cost?

Sorry, I've loaned a Wii off a friend, the game came with it. I went out of my way to play the game :)

As someone with a great admiration for the golden era of Nintendo (Snes Super Mario World through to Ocarina of Time) I just had to make sure I did not miss out on what some critics are calling "the best ever Zelda".

After a slow, almost boring opening hour - before the game eventually opens up and lets you take over - I think I can see what the critics are getting at.

A lot of good meat contains a bit of fat that just needs to be cut through (...or eaten, if that's your thing).

Say, Quint, how do you get that signature picture at that size, I think mine is in need of an update....Also, at the risk of taking this too far off-topic (not that this website ever really minded), looking at the recent posts throughout the website I do not see some old names that I remember. Whatever happened to Mark Olivarez, John Crichton? I'm sure there are others, too.

The board is going through another spell of the doldrums, they come and go from time to time. Yeah Mark quit quite recently and john quit ages ago.

Nick, I just used an image resizer and made sure it fell within the forum rules for dimensions.

I thought Clark was one of the ones who quit too, along with Williamsfan. It seems both of you have crawled out from your hiding holes ;)

I've been in video game overload. 2011 is truly the year of games, and I still don't own everything I want.

MW3 has been getting most of my time, just because most of my friends play it, but the following are ones I have barely played at all:

Assassin's Creed Revelations

Skyrim

Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One

Rage

Crysis

ICO & Shadow Of The Colossus Collection

God Of War: Origins Collection

Resident Evil 4

Resident Evil: Code Veronica X

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection

Those are all the games from the past couple months that I've bought yet haven't beaten. I still want to pick up Dark Souls, Dead Island, and Goldeneye Reloaded.

I played the demo and it was absolutely awesome. Would I pay $60 for it? Hell no, it's a retread of a retread, but for $30, I'll sure get my money's worth out of it.

Btw, Quint, have you heard of The Last Of Us? It's Naughty Dog's new exclusive, and the debut trailer looks rather good:

I've also just read this article about it on IGN, which may explain why you didn't like Uncharted 3 as much as the previous two. Naughty Dog split into two teams, and two important people in the development of Drake's Fortune and Among Thieves went on to work on this as the rest did Drake's Deception.

The opening shot of that trailer is amazing. One of few instances I've seen where CGI is indistinguishable from real life. That reminds me actually about AC Revelations. The opening cutscene has several moments that look too damn real. Not so much in the faces and movements, but in the textures and lighting. Impressive stuff. Although it's all pre-rendered, it's still worthy of praise.

I've also just read this article about it on IGN, which may explain why you didn't like Uncharted 3 as much as the previous two. Naughty Dog split into two teams, and two important people in the development of Drake's Fortune and Among Thieves went on to work on this as the rest did Drake's Deception.

What I'd be interested in is what engine this will be using. Will it be the Uncharted engine? A continuation/fork of it? Or something completely different? Are the UC engine developers involved?

A third timeline in Zelda?

http://www.zeldauniv...ria/#more-33788

So, if I'm reading this right, after the original two Zelda games that came out first for the NES, there hasn't been a single game since that actually is a true sequel to them (ie taking place after them)? All the other games have all been prequels or in a alternate timeline? Weird.

Interesting. That's exactly what I thought the timeline to be with the exception of the third "Link fails" path. But it's silly to think that the developers have ever had this in mind as they made the games. Ocarina of Time was meant to be the backstory to A Link to the Past, but now it isn't. The Minish Cap was meant to be the first game, but now it isn't. Four Swords Adventures was meant to follow Four Swords... but now it doesn't. And so on. It's not like there aren't still loads of plot holes. And really, so what? It's fun to theorize, but these games never had very complex or coherent plots.

Hey KM, I know you're a graphics whore, but don't you fancy this http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-15-xenoblade-chronicles-review

It went on to be one of EG's GotY http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-12-29-games-of-2011-xenoblade-chronicles-article

I fancy it. I might have to rent it whilst I've still got my mate's Wii. The game looks lovely

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

After years and years of not really playing any video games, I find myself playing them again! Right now I'm in the middle of New Super Mario Brothers on the DS (which I've beaten 100% in the past) and Final Fantasy IV, the DS remake (I've beat FF4 many times, but this is my first time playing through the DS remake. Tonight I think I will start a console game - the DS screen size is bugging me, and I might not continue much on it until I (hopefully) get the 3DS XL for X-Mas.

So tonight I might start either Resident Evil 0 or Metroid Prime - not sure. I also have the GBA Gamecube Player addon so maybe I will start with Metroid Zero Mission or Minish Cap, hmmm)

The amount of games I owned but haven't played (or even opened) rivals Wojo's score collection. Off the top of my head:

Metroid Prime Trilogy, Fusion, and Zero Mission (Might pick up Other M soon, and want to play Super Metroid and Metroid 2 on WiiConsole and 3DSConsole respectively)

Resident Evil 0,1, 2, 3, Code: Verionica, and 4 (2-4 and CV are still sealed, I started 0 and 1 back in the day but didn't finish I don't think)

Zelda Minish Cap, LTTP Advance, Twilight Princess, Wind Waker, Four Swords Adventure (And I also have a Link's Awakening cartridge, my only remaining Gameboy OG cartridge) (I also have a Gamecube disc that has Zelda 1, Zelda 2, Ocarina of Time, and Majora's Mask. I've beaten Ocarina on the N64 but never played Majora's Mask)

Final Fantasy 3 and 4 DS, 1&2, 4, 5, 6 Advance, Chrono Trigger DS

Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 (Never beat 1, 2 is still unopened), New Super Mario Bros DS and Wii, Mario vs DK GBA, Mario vs DK 2 DS, and Super Mario Brothres Advance 1-4, none of which I've played through (though I have finished the original or prior remake versions of all these games multiple times)

Games I am thinking of buying, despite having all these to play: Yoshi's Island DS, Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks, Skyward Sword, and if actually play through the 6 Resident Evils I have, I'll have to find a system I can play Res Evil 5 and 6 on (The systems I own are Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Gamecube, X-Box, Wii, GB, GBA, DS Lite). And if I do get a 3DS XL, I want Super Mario 3D Land and New Super Mario Bros 2.

Yes Jason, come into this thread, be a part of it, we neeeeed you in it!

I too had a hiatus from gaming, pretty much from the age of 20 through to 25ish, didn't play a thing other than the odd game at my cousins house, but I didn't own a computer or console myself during that time, I was just into other things. Gaming for me now though has become evening relaxation time, whether playing a single player campaign or just having a blast over Xbox Live with my brother and pals.

Metroid Prime on the GC is an absolute masterpiece, if you haven't already played it. It's just a shame the magnificence of its visuals will have faded a fair bit by now, but that gameplay will still be tight.