The NINTENDO Thread

Jay

What's wrong with the Gamecube? I like it just fine! Though admittedly it didn't have any many great games as their prior consoles

I never touched a GameCube. My family's second-to-last new game console was the Sega Genesis in the early 90s. The most recent acquisition was when Wii mania set in in 2008 or 9. PC gaming -- and the ability to emulate older systems on it anyways -- had taken hold of me.

~*~

Ever since The Sith Lords Restored Content Mod (TSLRCM) was finally completed last month, I have been itching to reinstall KOTOR 2 and beat it. What a broken but still fantastic game that was.

My first system was an NES, but before that I had friends with Ataris. So much fun playing the classic Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Ninja Gaiden, etc etc games plus the random one-offs like River City Ransom. Everyone remembers blowing into the cartridges when they wouldn't work, etc. Those black plastic angeled cases you'd keep them in when not in use.

I then had an SNES. A good friend of mine had a Sega Genesis, and for one month we swapped systems, which was cool. But the SNES, that's my favorite system of all time. So many amazing games for it - Super Mario World, Super Metroid, Street Fighter 2, Mortal Kombat, Final Fantasy IV and VI (2 and 3), and my favorite game of all time Zelda 3 (A Link To The Past). Then when they came out with Super Mario All-Stars (remakes of Mario 1-3), that just cemented its permanent legacy as the best ever. I am sad to this day I no longer have my original console, luckily all the best games are legally available as ports, remakes, or Wii/3DS virtual console emulations.

Then came the Nintendo 64. That was our college system, lots of great memories of playing Goldeneye and Perfect Dark multiplayer there. I had friends with Playstations but never really got into it. Man Goldeneye was an awesome game (and still is, I'd bet).

After college I got the Gamecube, and eventually picked up a Dreamcast for $1 (new). I also grabbed an X-Box around this time. For both systems I didn't really buy games, I used them to emulate older systems for the most part. In fact the only Dreamcast game I own is Crazy Taxi and the only X-Box games are Halo 1 and 2.

Got the Wii when it was past that "hard to find" phase, I got it once it was available everywhere. Other than the Wii Sports/Wii Play stuff, I really haven't played any games on it beyond Super Mario Galaxy 1 and Mario Kart Wii.

I have no plans to get a Wii U for now, not until I've played a bunch of the games and systems I already own. No compelling games for the Wii U yet that I've heard about

For some reason the modern era of gaming doesn't do much for me. I've played people's PS2s, PS3s, and X-Box 360s a handful of times and I dunno. Some games are cool but I just don't play games any more (at least until recently) so that could be a part of it. It just seems like all the companies started focusing on graphics and "looking cool" rather that good gameplay. To me games like the old Marios and Zeldas never get old, but modern games seem to be ones people play, beat, then never touch again.

It just seems like all the companies started focusing on graphics and "looking cool" rather that good gameplay. To me games like the old Marios and Zeldas never get old, but modern games seem to be ones people play, beat, then never touch again.

I've been saying that for years. There are great modern games, but overall, I can probably list more games from any given year from the 80s and 90s that I still love than all post 2000 games put together.

Pretty much, yup! At least it's pretty easy these days to play those old games on modern equipment

You guys are living with pure nostalgia.

If I played Ultima Underworld 2 (my best memory of a RPG), I'd probably think it sucks today if the presentation was unchanged. Good graphics has a always been an essential part of videogames ever since I started playing them. As long as there's a progression . Right now I think the current console gen needs to be upgraded to forward the experience

Nostalgia is also for the people that complain there's hasn't been a good Final Fantasy or JRPG since FF7

I'm sitting on a pile of games I haven't played because I buy them when I find a good deal, but I only play one game at a time. I've been playing actively for the past 3 years so I'll get to them.

In average it takes me a week to a month (big games like Skyrim) to complete a game

You can have your fancy graphics, I'll take good gameplay and story any day

And just because a game isn't on a modern system doesn't mean the graphics aren't "good" anyway.

I want both . The story and gameplay is essential too, but you can't dismiss graphics as unimportant. I'm not going to buy an PS2 so I can play all these older games

Well that's my point, with virtual consoles and stuff they are making it so you can play the old games on modern consoles, it's great.

Final Fantasy IV and VI have the best storylines of any games ever and to dismiss them an not worth your time because they were originally for the SNES is pretty ridiculous imho.

Well there's only so many games you can play by lack of physical time.

I'd rather just move forward with the games I haven't played in the current gen than go back in time and re-play a game I already finished or from an older gen.

Yea I'm sure once I catch up on all the games I own but haven't played I'll want to check out the current gen of stuff.

Well in my case the pile of unopened games (about 30 boxes) is current gen. I did finish about 60 titles so far but I still have a way to do to clear my shelf

saw Dead Island GOTY for 20$...will go grab that today

I love old games, but like KM I have no desire to play them again, regardless of graphics. It's not just visual fidelity which improves, but also design and mechanics. Lemmings had good functional art, but today its gameplay would seem punishing and fiddly to anyone but the most vehement upholder of retro gaming (Marian). Video games move forward in all aspects, and I move with them accordingly. That of course doesn't make the classics I played twenty years ago any less the great experiences they were.

Many classic games have controls that take at least some getting used to, no doubt. And tons of the lesser ones have controls that are just not really usable by today's standards. But the good ones were good mostly because the controls were good, and still are. Settlers, despite being a great game, had some poor GUI/control choices even for its time (awkward two-button clicks and confusing icons), which are more apparent today but were annoying back then all the same. But Lemmings - I couldn't imagine the controls any differently, and I'd do them exactly the same today. At one point, when 3D was new, they released a 3D version, which was as far as I could tell pretty unusable, just like the 3D Worms games - it's not the type of game that works in 3D. Wiz'n'Liz (the third screenshot) - classic jump'n'run controls. Nothing to change there, just like Super Mario Land's controls are just as good today as they were 20 years ago.

Definitely. There are still a tiny handful of older titles which are still fun and enjoyable to play to this day, Mario being the most obvious example. But then again, that series of games is unique in its magnificence - I would not want to play the original Gran Turismo for eg in the same way I'd play Super Mario World since that racer has dated in a way Mario has not. But back in 1997 it was the pinnacle of its genre.

I'm with KM to a certain extent. Graphics are important.

I've been getting a lot of HD Collections, to revisit older games I loved in an updated frame, or simply play ones I missed back then. What I discovered from them is how atrocious the controls in Metal Gear Solid are. Don't know how I ever played Sons Of Liberty.

And I never meant to imply that graphics weren't important, was more trying to say that graphics being good for the generation are more important than which generation you're in.

Metal Gear Solid on the PS One is part of the holy trinity of gaming. It resides up high in the upper echelons of the all time greats, seated comfortably alongside the likes of The Secret of Monkey Island and Ocarina of Time. Mighty games which all other games strive to be like.

Saying that graphics are one of the most important aspects of a game is like saying CGI is one of the most important aspects of a film. I guess you guys can't watch films like ET, Star Wars & co without thinking: "Oh my god, this looks like shit!"

It depends on the film. If your film requires a lot of special effects work, then yes, it's an important aspect. If it doesn't, well then you won't be using CGI in the first place so it doesn't matter.

Either way your analogy is stupid because a film is shot using real elements, such as people and sets and props. A video game is entirely computer generated. Now if you said animated films, you'd be on the right track, but for that the animation is an important aspect too. You don't see people clamoring over crap like Hoodwinked.

Gameplay >

Graphics.

But graphics and design aesthetic are still VERY important aspects in almost all great gaming and such advances and indeed their power to captivate and inspire should not be underestimated.

And I never meant to imply that graphics weren't important, was more trying to say that graphics being good for the generation are more important than which generation you're in.

Yes. A game can be good with bad graphics, but it has a better chance at convincing me if it has "good" graphics. But "good" means appropriate, first of all. Good graphics don't necessarily have to be spectacular, and they can, to an extent, be seen in a historical context. Compare it to movies, take the original King Kong. The effects were great for their time. Today, not so much. And looking at them, you wouldn't for a moment believe the ape is real. But in the context - knowing they're old, and while watching the *story* - they work.

And in the end, good graphics serve two main purposes: Orientation, in the broadest sense, i.e. graphics are bad if you can't "read" them or can't figure out where you're going, no matter how cool they look. And atmosphere. And as far as atmosphere goes, good music (and some of the great classic games have plenty of that) can go a long way in making you not notice visual shortcomings.

Saying that graphics are one of the most important aspects of a game is like saying CGI is one of the most important aspects of a film. I guess you guys can't watch films like ET, Star Wars & co without thinking: "Oh my god, this looks like shit!"

It depends on the film. If your film requires a lot of special effects work, then yes, it's an important aspect. If it doesn't, well then you won't be using CGI in the first place so it doesn't matter.

Either way your analogy is stupid because a film is shot using real elements, such as people and sets and props. A video game is entirely computer generated. Now if you said animated films, you'd be on the right track, but for that the animation is an important aspect too. You don't see people clamoring over crap like Hoodwinked.

BloodBoal must think movies looked like Manic fucking Miner at some point.

I love old games, but like KM I have no desire to play them again, regardless of graphics. It's not just visual fidelity which improves, but also design and mechanics. Lemmings had good functional art, but today its gameplay would seem punishing and fiddly to anyone but the most vehement upholder of retro gaming (Marian). Video games move forward in all aspects, and I move with them accordingly. That of course doesn't make the classics I played twenty years ago any less the great experiences they were.

That's what I'm tying to say.

I don't buy the analogy with CGI and movie either., it's completely different

What's amazing is that the people who are most adamant that they need their cutting-edge graphics are the same people who insist their six-year old gaming systems can still provide that.

It really is. Halo is the last big release this gen I'm genuinely excited about, but I'll be even more blown away when I see the next one after that on the next Xbox. I'll probably piss my pants.

No, I know the graphics are behind in consoles and it's starting to hinder new games

It's time for a new gen of consoles

It really is. Halo is the last big release this gen I'm genuinely excited about, but I'll be even more blown away when I see the next one after that on the next Xbox. I'll probably piss my pants.

I'm the opposite. I think there's still a good 2 or 3 years left in this generation, and that the new one is coming too soon. Ideally, the next gen should arrive when the current gen has nothing more to offer. Once everything starts looking like a Naughty Dog or Quantic Dream game, that's when you move forward. Too many shitty games underdeveloped by their companies are around. Upcoming games like The Last Of Us and that hacker game by Ubisoft show great promise for what this gen can still do.

I mean, Nintendo has just caught up to the current gen, the Wii U is not advancing us further. I have reservations about the difference in quality we'll find in the PS4 and Xbox 720. I'm sure the interface and functionality will be leaps and bounds better, but when it comes to pure processing power, I doubt we'll see that much of an upgrade in graphics. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

God I'll be disappointed if you're right! (doubtful).

I'll bring you some diapers

Is this your way of telling me what that secret fantasy of yours is?

I'm wondering what your junk looks like in a diaper, yes lol

Gotta say I'm loving the FF4 remake for the DS. The new graphics are generally good (but suffer from looking like PS1 era polygon stuff a bit) but what's great is they made the game harder and added some new features (characters who leave your party leave behind an Augment that you can give to other characters who now inherit their former special powers). Good stuff.

Got my Gamecube hooked back up to my TV so i can start using the Game Boy Player adapter on it again. Gonna play Metroid Fusion and Zelda: Minish cap that way.

Can't wait! I've played Metroid Fusion before but don't remember if I ever finished it; Super Metroid is one of my fave SNES games.

Never played Minish Cap, but Link To The Past IS my favorite SNES game :)

Briefly. I actually own that on original cartridge - In college once I took a bunch of people to the beach, and when cleaning out my car a few days later I found a green Gameboy Pocket with that game in it in my trunk! Nobody ever claimed it, so I inherited it! So I can either play it on the Gameboy Pocket or it should play in my Gameboy Advance. It's the DX version of game, too!