The NINTENDO Thread

Jay

I kinda equally love it and Link To The Past... and honestly Link Between Worlds was fantastic too and basically on par with them.  Three masterpieces

Couple of comments that don't say anything new: 

The Wario Land series, 2-4, is awesome. 4, since it has not been mentioned, is _hella_ tight. 

Oracle of Seasons is great--same engine I believe as Link's Awakening, with some re-used music to boot. 

12 minutes ago, Faleel J.M. said:

Some good original stuff too.

Yeah the original stuff is fine! I think the two share some tunes between each other, but Oracle of Ages was such a naked attempt to play off Ocarina of Time that it lacked a lot of its own character, so I prefer to just think of Oracle of Seasons.

All of the Capcom handheld Zelda's share a formula of getting on a pedestal/tile and using an item to shrink/change seasons/flow through time.

The guy who reviewed it for IGN loves it, says its great. Sounds like a huge game, 300 hours of content 

After playing it for like 5 hours, I have to say that I've been drawn in, against my cynicism after the sheer failure that was the last Fire Emblem game. 

One thing that I'm looking forward to seeing is the plot: a lot of previous games in the series had riffs on "big bad dragon will destroy the world", where this one seems to be much more intricate; currently I'm seeing hints leading towards themes of state religion and how the two become ensnared.

The reviewer for NWR was much more critical than the IGN reviewer, on the RFN podcast this week.  Apparently Intelligent Systems didn't even code the whole thing, Koei Tecmo did all the heavy lifting after IS designed all the characters and wrote the story, and there are a bunch of graphical glitches.  But more importantly, she said there was a huge problem where huge plot revelations that explain aspects of the story no matter which branch you choose only get revealed via some of the branches, so if you picked a different path to start with you don't even get the whole story until you replay it with a different house.

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

Apparently Intelligent Systems didn't even code the whole thing, Koei Tecmo did all the heavy lifting after IS designed all the characters and wrote the story, and there are a bunch of graphical glitches.

I've been playing on a television, so maybe it's different in handheld mode, but I haven't seen any so far, and trust me when I say my eyes are attuned to that. 

Also, I don't see how that's a point of criticism, that they collaborated with another studio to release such a massive game in a relatively short amount of time (three years).

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

But more importantly, she said there was a huge problem where huge plot revelations that explain aspects of the story no matter which branch you choose only get revealed via some of the branches, so if you picked a different path to start with you don't even get the whole story until you replay it with a different house.

Are you saying her criticism is that you don't get the complete story unless you play all different paths? Why would anyone expect anything different, unless one was thinking they'd write different plots for each campaign? 

Usually in a game like this, the different branches would have a ton of differences along the way illuminating all kinds of different aspects of the characters and maybe some plot points.  But the way she explained it, major plot points that explain the entire core story only get revealed via certain paths, which isn't usually how these things go (and I would say isn't very ideal).  Especially since it takes 70 hours to beat each path

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

Usually in a game like this, the different branches would have a ton of differences along the way illuminating all kinds of different aspects of the characters and maybe some plot points

If it's anything like the last Fire Emblem, then that is certainly the case here.

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

But the way she explained it, major plot points that explain the entire core story only get revealed via certain paths, which isn't usually how these things go (and I would say isn't very ideal).  Especially since it takes 70 hours to beat each path

I don't know how I feel about that. It certainly is a hell of a time commitment. I'll have to find out if that story element thing is as drastic as she claims. My worry would be the game doesn't refresh itself on each playthrough to warrant another (two other!) go-'round.

She said there's a new game + mode that cuts down on the time to beat subsequent runs, but I don't remember if she said how much it cuts down.

Oh that's good to know. Still, like I said, I hope that the content on the other paths is different enough to be engaging. Plus, if a New Game+ mode just goes through with your main character, I can see that causing it's own problems. 

3 hours ago, Jay said:

The reviewer for NWR was much more critical than the IGN reviewer, on the RFN podcast this week

I respect Syrenne's deep knowledge of Japanese games, but my taste is almost literally 0% aligned with hers and her personality is like the annoying James on steroids in that nihilistic "lolz nothing matters!" way.

I agree that her personality rubs me the wrong way but I appreciated that she pointed out some interesting aspects of the game that Tom didn't get into on NVC

I wish Nxpress was more consistent with releasing new episodes cause I'd love to hear Patrick's take on it

Nintendo Predicts 52.74 Million Switch Units shipped by March 2020

For comparison to other Nintendo HOME consoles, that's behind only NES (62 million) and Wii (102 million), and ahead of SNES (49 million), Nintendo 64 (32 million), GameCube (22 million), and Wii U (14 million)

For comparison to other Nintendo PORTABLE consoles, that's still behind 3DS (75 million), GBA (82 million), DS (154 million), and GB/C (119 million), and not ahead of any yet.

For comparison to the current gen of consoles, that's ahead of Xbox One (41 milion) and behind PS4 (100 million)

Well yeah, 3D World was a beautifully designed game.  But I don't think it works to have other levels as backgrounds for new levels?  No other game style does that.

On 7/12/2019 at 9:20 PM, Jay said:

eh, I'm probably more likely to start with Awakening or Sacred Stones or, more hopefully, a Switch remake of Ike's two games, than this one, unless I can pick it up for twenty bucks in the future or something

Well, I have a big back log right now, just for Switch alone:

• Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
  • Steamworld Dig 2
  • Octopath Traveler
  • Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
  • Shantae 3 and 4
  • Thimbleweed Park
  • Golf Story
  • Broken Age
  • Grim Fandango Remastered
  • Rayman Legends
  • Dead Cells
  • Owlboy

Not to mention I haven't actually beat Breath of the Wild yet, have tons more moons to find in Mario Odyssey, haven't unlocked or beat the post-credits Chapter of Celeste yet and there's a free DLC coming, haven't gotten any of the good endings in Hollow Knight yet, and of course have perpetual online Mario Marker levels I could play.

And on top of all that, Collection of Mana physical edition drops soon and I want to play Mana 3 in that, Link's Awakening remake drops in September, then Luigi's Mansion 3 in October..... and whenever Hollow Knight: Silksong drops, I'm playing it day 1.

So all that adds up to it not being worth it for me to spend $60 on FE16 for it to sit on my shelf until next year sometime.  I'll wait till I can pick it up on a random discount when I'm closer to having a chance to play it soon.

However!  I do still play Fire Emblem Heroes every day, and have obtained Claude and he's pretty cool, and Edelgard, Sothis, Dimitri and both Byleths seem cool!  The Kronya GHB drops on Saturday, too.

Fore Emblem update:

holy crap this game is amazing. If it doesn't botch the landing, I'll say this is the best one in the series by a large margin.

The plot takes drastic turns that totally change the game, and after throwing off your expectations, it's exciting and emotionally wrenching finding out what's gonna happen next. The gameplay is the most refined Fire Emblem yet, it's gonna be hard to ever go back to an older one. Some of the tactical challenges and situations are so intense and difficult that last night, for the first time ever in a video game, I got teary-eyed at the end of a level from sheer relief and satisfaction at having completed it. 

Every single aspect of this game works in tandem with each other and lifts the other aspects up, creating a heavily fortified tank of gaming excellence that at 50 hours in, feels like just the surface.

Yea on this week's NXPress podcasts, two guys talked about it for the whole episode and both really loved it, and everything they said sounded very good and promising indeed

I haven't had a chance to play any video games (other than Fire Emblem on my phone) for over a week now.  Haven't touched MM2 since I beat story mode.  Some day...

I discover levels generally by one of three ways:

1. Leaderboards of makers by "Maker Points"

2. Most popular levels

3. Levels played/recommended by Youtubers/streamers I like (people like GrandPooBear) that aren't extreme kaizo.  I've ended following a bunch of cool creators based mostly on these recommendations

In general I avoid levels with a less than 1% complete rate, but I also am bored by most levels with more than 10% complete rates unless there's something really creative and interesting about their design that doesn't affect difficulty.  Yeah, 1-10% is my sweet spot for difficulty.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

I like carlsagan42's mario maker videos

I don't like his levels very much, they tend to be in that 0.5% completion kaizo genre, but yeah he's a cool streamer.  Barb (BarbarousKing) has led me to some great, interesting levels as well.  But I consider PooBear my homebase Mario player

Yea, I wasn't trying to say that I like the levels he makes, I was saying I like watching his videos (of him playing other people's levels)

It’s charming, silly fun.  I enjoyed the more surreal touches among the usual bad puns and dad jokes you always find in Nintendo games.  Plus the levels themselves are good, short introductions to the tools available to makers.  It’s cool to see the actual professional Mario Makers subvert and twist expectations about what “normal” Mario levels are or can be.

Yea Stu and I both talked extensively about the Mario Maker 2 story mode a page or 2 back if you want to go back a bit and read it.

It's fine, fairly short, with lots of cool ideas in levels but nothing at all connecting everything together, and you don't have to play every level anyway.  I rolled credits with tons of levels left unfinished.

So we're leaving on a jet plane for the UK tonight.  What Switch game should I finally take the shrinkwrap off of to play on the plane?

Mario + Rabbids

Captain Toad Treasure Tracker

Steamworld Dig 2

Vote now!

Are you in the mood for something more fast-paced, or reserved?

Captain Toad is a chill-ass game. 

Mario + Rabbids I've never played, but I'm under the impression it has a bit of a plot, and as a tactical battle game might get intense.

I think Captain Toad would hit the sweet spot of short enough levels to stop at any time, while Rabbids could get intense if my battery is running low and I gotta finish a battle.  Though I imagine its battles are shorter than like a Fire Emblem or FF Tactics battle regardless.  But also I might want to enjoy those HD graphics on my TV!

Captain Toad or Steamworld Dig 2 it is...

31 minutes ago, Jay said:

I think Captain Toad would hit the sweet spot of short enough levels to stop at any time, while Rabbids could get intense if my battery is running low and I gotta finish a battle.  Though I imagine its battles are shorter than like a Fire Emblem or FF Tactics battle regardless.  But also I might want to enjoy those HD graphics on my TV!

Captain Toad or Steamworld Dig 2 it is...

Captain Toad would probably be more casual, which could be good for a plane ride.

So you can throw in the towel the second this wears you down: