The NINTENDO Thread

Jay

Sure there might not be new games every single month, but there will be constant additions which is awesome.  

I think we'll see more and more "collections" from third party developers since the current ones (Castlevania, Mega Man, Mana, Contra, etc) have all sold so well, but there's still plenty of cool/obscure SNES games that could come out on this service.

15 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

It still really bothers me that neither Nintendo nor an indie developer has really picked up where Super Mario World left off for straightforward platforming games.  The interplay between discrete levels and the connected overworld map is the main reason why it's my favorite game of all time.  Opening up the paths of that map is still satisfying after nearly 30 years and countless play-throughs for me.  The first 3 Wario Land games sort of picked up on ideas here, and Nintendo sort of did something similar in NSMBU, but in the latter it was so systematic and lacking in imagination I ultimately would've rather they didn't dredge up those SMW associations.

I rarely play Nintendo and this got me back on my Switch. It still amazes me to this day just how iconic and brilliant each and every sound effect is in the game, not to even mention the music. 

2 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

I rarely play Nintendo and this got me back on my Switch. It still amazes me to this day just how iconic and brilliant each and every sound effect is in the game, not to even mention the music. 

Does anyone vocally mimick the sound effects in their day to day? When I throw things or pretend to throw things I imitate the sound of Yoshi spitting something out, for example.

Nintendo on BOTW2:

At the present time we cannot comment much about the game, but we wish to deliver new gameplay experiences that exceed the previous game to fans and users, so we will have to borrow the strength of many people to create this new title. Hence the reason why we are hiring new terrain designers at Nintendo.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/jobs/project/interview/index.html

New gameplay experiences sound fun!

BTW, good Nintendo podcasts this/last week, eh?

NVC featured what I'd say is the best modern lineup (Casey, Zach, Brian Peer!) and I loved their discussion of the Direct, RFN also had a nice discussion of the direct, actual hands-on experience with Link's Awakening, Luigi's Mansion 3, Trials of Mana, and Shovel Knight Dig to hear about, and NXPress featured heated debates on the Swich Lite and Astral Chain, and more Nintendo Direct discussion.  Woo!

I haven't even SEEN the Direct yet since it dropped while I was away!

I ordered two.  I can see myself using these not just for the NES and SNES Online games, but stuff like Celeste and Hollow Knight and Mario Maker 2, too

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

I ordered two.  I can see myself using these not just for the NES and SNES Online games, but stuff like Celeste and Hollow Knight and Mario Maker 2, too

Oh, Mario Maker 2 is the main thing I bought it for.  I already sailed past 100 hours in that game.

I can't believe we're only 2 days away from the release of the Link's Awakening remake!

Anybody here pre-order it?

She did!  Although she wasn't very familiar with Puyo Puyo and kind of just wished it was more like regular Tetris.  So naturally she played a lot of Tetris 99 this year.

I don't like falling block puzzle games at all, actually.

I hardly ever play those kinds of games, though as a kid played a bunch

I think it's so weird Tetris 99 is getting a physical edition after launching as a free NSO title.  Bizarre

Oh and since your wife loves 2D Zeldas so much, did you check out Blossom Tales?

Oh man you hadn't played it yet? I was so pleasantly surprised by how good it was. Lived up to all the hype and more. 

39 minutes ago, Jay said:

Oh man you hadn't played it yet? I was so pleasantly surprised by how good it was. Lived up to all the hype and more. 

I just got a 2DS and three of the 4 Zelda's for it (ALBW, Tri-Force Heroes, and Majora's Mask 3D) this week, so finally was able to play it.

Been catching up with what I missed since SS in 2011.

39 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I just beat the 4th dungeon, the one with the flippers.

Try the chamber dungeon arranger yet? Good source of Rupees and ❤️ pieces and a seashell

Finally got a chance to begin playing LINK'S AWAKENING REMAKE last night!

Only played for maybe 45 minutes or an hour, enough to clear the first dungeon and that's it.

I have to say, this is a very good game, I love the graphics, animation, gameplay, music, etc.  It was a cute idea to do this kind of diorama visual style with the tilt-shift focus, etc.  And I love that the overworld is now seamless, it's very cool to move from area to area.  And the map is great, as is the item area and FINALLY the ability to play this game with more than just 2 damn buttons, so you have your sword and shield perma-mapped while still having the ability to map other items to the buttons you want, etc.

However, I do have 3 small issues with it.

One is the slowdown, I've heard every podcast mention it ,and I noticed it right away.  Often when returning to the overworld after being underground somewhere, everything is just... slow for a while.  This should have been ironed out before release.  

Two is the way they put the parts of the screen that are supposed to be in the distance in a hazy, out of focus effect... it just doesn't look right to me sometimes, I dunno how to explain it.  I've only played on my TV so maybe it looks different docked, but I dunno, it just doesn't seem quite right.

And finally 3 is the price.  After playing for even as short of a time as I have, it's clear this game is the same game as before with a complete visual overall and some gameplay tweaks.  There was no major new design work needed for this.  This should have been a $40 game, not a $60 game.

I haven't really noticed the framerate stuff, but at this point it's clear my eyes just don't work.  I watched a Youtube video where someone said "Right, exactly *here* is where the slowdown occurs." and I literally didn't notice any difference.  I'm broken!

Huh, that's interesting, it was obvious to me.  I was hoping the podcasts were exaggerating and it wouldn't be be a big deal, but nah, obvious slowdown.

Are you playing on TV or handheld?

I predict there's a 99% chance Nintendo never comments on the issue, and 1% chance they push out a patch that fixes it.