The NINTENDO Thread

Jay

I mean, that's a massive blanket statement you are making, there are thousands of games that have been designed to be played on a smartphone, it's ludicrous to think every single one of them is a bad game.  Of course many fantastic games exist for this format.  Much as great games have been made that are controller via joystick, or keyboard/mouse, or controller, or VR, some great games are made for touchscreens too.

Hmm, I'm not sure that that tracks.  Maybe you just have a really old and outdated smart phone?

Like there are tablets with better screens and processors than the Switch.  If someone made a brilliant mobile game that got ported to the Switch, it could be a downgrade from playing it on a top of the line tablet, assuming touchscreen controls are used both times and it doesn't make use of joycons

Honestly I'd tend to fall more on the Disco Stu side of things.  I play a lot of phone "games," but it's more an act of zoning out than an act of gaming.  Stuff like crosswords, picross puzzles, etc.  I find most phone games I've played to be more quick-burst time killers than anything else, and rightfully so by design.  It's the phone, you're probably playing it in the doctor's office waiting room or something.

I tried a few of the Nintendo licensed ones - Mario Run, Pokémon Go, whatever the one was where you made a Mii and social networked with your friends.  I probably got my $10 out of Mario Run, and then immediately deleted it and have no interest in bothering again.  The other ones were neat novelties but ultimately felt empty to me.

As for "game games,' I tried the GTA Chinatown Wars port and hated the touchscreen controls.  I have enough other consoles that I wouldn't bother playing a time-intensive game on my phone.

Anyway, I popped into this thread to say that I felt Autumn in the air and started a new Breath of the Wild game.

4 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Anyway, I popped into this thread to say that I felt Autumn in the air and started a new Breath of the Wild game.

Master Mode?

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

Hmm, I'm not sure that that tracks.  Maybe you just have a really old and outdated smart phone?

What's difficult to understand if a person doesn't like the fundamental experience of playing a game on a phone?

Ah, but the conversation wasn't originally about the experience of playing it, but the game itself

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

A phone game is a phone game, no matter who made it.

He's saying here the act of even creating a game designed to be played on phones is the problem, not his personal preference of playing them

Maybe its semantics

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

Gonna do anything different in this play-through?

A couple of things.  Number one, I plan on beating Ganon at some point - something that I didn't feel was even an important part of the experience the first time around, given the nature of the game.  Number two, I'm going to try to track down all of the memory spots, which I only bothered to track down if the game led me to them the first time.  I guess you could say a bigger focus on story.  I'm also going to try to complete the photo album thing, which I really found a lot of joy in trying to fill the first time around.

Lastly,

4 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Master Mode?

at some point I'm going to buy the DLC and play through the new modes and missions, although I'm lousy enough at gaming that Master Mode may be a bit beyond my capabilities.

I still haven't bought the DLC yet either... and I never beat Ganon either!

I really enjoyed the memories, one of the coolest parts of the game

41 minutes ago, Jay said:

Ah, but the conversation wasn't originally about the experience of playing it, but the game itself

He's saying here the act of even creating a game designed to be played on phones is the problem, not his personal preference of playing them

Maybe its semantics

I guess what I mean is:

The best phone game would always be better on a dedicated gaming platform.  I think the act of playing a game on a phone is inherently worse.  Framing that is of course my taste in what the "best" games would be, usually ones that seem more designed from a dedicated gaming POV.

Played a little bit of Link's Awakening Remake last night.

Saved BowWow and finished the second dungeon.  I love walking around with him, does anybody remember any special things you can do with him before I return him to Madame MeowMeow?

I found Dampe on my journey, which was fun.  He wouldn't do anything for me though since I still had BowWow

I don't recall anything particularly special.  People will say funny things to you, and I think he might find places for you to dig?  Been a while.

I heard that the new Dampe/dungeon stuff is actually a bit of a slog.

Just keep in mind Dampe has 3+ heart pieces and at least one of the Secret seashells.

2 hours ago, mstrox said:

I don't recall anything particularly special.  People will say funny things to you, and I think he might find places for you to dig?  Been a while.

I heard that the new Dampe/dungeon stuff is actually a bit of a slog.

Yeah, he will point out dig spots.

Yeah, the fact that the chambers themselves are mostly (all?) ones you already visited and that there are multiple challenges can make it a little repetitive, especially if you cram them as soon as you unlock them, but it can make for some decent challenge too, if you make a dungeon with as many minibosses/bosses to fight as possible or something.

He points out dig spots, but I don't have the shovel yet... and I don't remember when I get it!  I also can't remember if I can keep him with me forever or if I need to give him back to MeowMeow to continue at some point...

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

He points out dig spots, but I don't have the shovel yet... and I don't remember when I get it!  I also can't remember if I can keep him with me forever or if I need to give him back to MeowMeow to continue at some point...

You can buy the shovel from the shopkeeper almost immediately after starting the game.

Richard won't talk to you unless you get rid of BowWow, meaning you won't be able to get to the Key Cavern dungeon until then.

Also it is possible to go through each dungeon up to getting the item, and move on to the next one etc. And then circle back to beat the boss with more hearts and stuff.

Played some more Link's Awakening remake last night.  Wandered around with Bowwow, bought a shovel and did some digging, collected the 5 golden leafs for Richard then saved once I entered the third dungeon.

I love this game.  The more I explore new areas, the more the graphics wow me.  I made my way up to the egg on the top of the mountain, and it was gorgeous.

It's nice to have an easy, breezy adventure game in between all the overly difficult games being made these days

Oh and I talked to Dampe and did the first dungeon challenge thing.  It was alright, lining up tiles until you have no empty exits, then playing the stage.  But its all just room's you've already been in and bosses you've already beat, so whatever.  At least you get to keep the rupees you get.

I beat Catfish's Maw last night.  I spent a long time between the 3rd and 4th dungeons because for some reason I forgot you can just go straight to Catfish's Maw using the flippers, I thought I had to go through a bunch of trading sequence stuff to get the mermaid's scale.  Turns out, all of that is optional!  Oh well, at least I got it done for later in the game.

Well, you do need to do the trading sequence for the magnifying glass, so you can find the solution for the Wind Fish's egg maze, and to get the Boomerang, and a Seashell from a Zora in the animal village.

I've gotten up to the honeycomb in the trading sequence.  I love when you give the bananas to the monkeys and they build the bridge for you

I had forgotten you can't just go in the water in this game until you get a powerfup.  Walked right in and lost a heart lol.  Link's drowning noise was simultaneously cute and terrifying.

Speaking of noises, I love that they used that classic pot breaking sound from Wet Hot American Summer and whatever else for when you break a pot in this game

Just now, Fal J. M. Skywalker said:

Well, you need to do the trading sequence for the magnifying glass, so you can find the solution for the Wind Fish's egg maze.

Right, I meant optional at the point of the game I was at

People on Reddit have already received their SNES controllers, yet my tracking says they are still awaiting the package

Lucky!

Oh, nevermind.  It seems it shipped UPS, not USPS, but even when i pasted my tracking number into USPS, it gave me a result.  Weird.

Anyhoo, UPS tracking says it's estimated to arrive by 5oclock.... yesterday.  LOL.  I wonder if the UPS guy left it on my front porch, which we never use (we have a breezeway/side porch that packages are supposed to be left on).  I'll find out tonight!

My controllers left Windsor CT an hour ago.  I guess there was a delay of some kind because the last checking before then was on the 21st in Washington

Interesting we got a crappy game titled Dr Mario on mobile, and now they are giving us real Dr Mario on the Switch buried inside the new Brain Age game

6 hours ago, Jay said:

Interesting we got a crappy game titled Dr Mario on mobile, and now they are giving us real Dr Mario on the Switch buried inside the new Brain Age game

I love Brain Age! They've thrown in that mini-game since the first or second one almost 15 years ago (!). I wouldn't call that real Dr. Mario by any means.

Whenever I visit my brother, one of our favorite things to do is turn the settings in Dr. Mario to Level 99 and see who can actually clear the stage, let alone first. This of course is the only track allowed to play in our sessions.

Whether they're a Fever or Chill man tells you a lot about a person.

Yea I have the original Brain Age for the DS. Never kept up with the series after that. Cool concept, though!

I like all the Dr Mario music