The NINTENDO Thread

Jay

I tend to mute most puzzle games as well.  In a lot of other games, if the setting is available, I'll also turn the slider all the way down on music so that it's just dialog and SFX, and listen to my own stuff.  Obviously not in stuff that has a certain mood, like the Arkham Asylum games or The Last of Us, but I had no problem doing it in unstructured games like GTA, and even in games like Uncharted, after I got enough of a taste of the score to know that I didn't care.

I haven't played the Uncharted games yet, but I listened to the OST album for one of them (the third, I think) and I liked it!

Found a little bit of time this weekend to pay some Link's Awakening remake.

Cleared dungeons 3 and 4, sang a song for a walrus, showed a ghost to his grave, bought a bow and arrow, went rafting down a river, got up to the fishing hook in the trading game that I don't remember what to do with.

Ended up wandering into the Color Dungeon last night where I saved my game.  I don't remember, can I clear this now, or does it require items you only get later?

It's obvious how to get there, I just can't remember anything about it!

I find with these type of games I tend to remember the overworlds pretty well, but not the dungeons as much, probably because you play each dungeon once, yet walk back and forth across the overworld constantly

I could probably sleepwalk my way through the earlier dungeons, but some of the later dungeons (especially the tower with all of those floors, and places you need to fall, etc) will be a pretty fresh challenge for me.

Yea I remember that one where you have to knock some towers over from higher levels into lower levels to be one of the dungeons that took me the longest

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm a "mute the game audio and listen to music that won't drive you nuts"  kinda Dr. Mario player.

I had a feeling you'd say that! I used to do that a lot when I was younger, and still might do with something like ePicross, but most of the time I want to stick as close to the "full" experience as possible. Music is such a crucial  part of whether I enjoy a game or not: I've played poor games because they had excellent music,  and disliked good games with music I didn't like (such as Dragon Age V for PS2). @mstrox I don't replace the music or anything for the Arkham games, but I do have to confess to mentally inserting variations of Shirley Walker's theme all over the place.

Beat the color dungeon last night (super easy, barely an inconvenience), got a mermaid scale, beat the Catfish's Maw dungeon (probably the toughest dungeon so far, but still not too bad).

Freaking love the hookshot!  Can't wait to re-explore the overworld now and get new goodies

One thing I find curious about the game is the lack of enemy variety.  The bosses are all unique and awesome and that is great, but every dungeon I go into has the same green and red slimes.  Why?

I think as you get further, there are some tougher enemies in later dungeons (who can be defeated with various tools you'd have collected by that point), but largely that's just how the game was.

It was the perfect gateway for me as a young first-time Zelda player.  If I had started with the original or ALTTP (back in the day without online guides), I probably would have quit halfway through and never become the Zelda fan I am today.

I started with the NES Zelda 1 but then fell in love with Link to the Past. Never played Links Awakening until like 5 years ago! 

I think I asked this before, but how do y'all feel about the axiom that the first Zelda game you fully play is your favorite?

As someone who's never played Link Awakening before, would you recommend waiting to get this one when it goes down in price?

Cute Nintendo cartoon

EF4yj18W4AEghfH?format=jpg&name=large

9 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

I think I asked this before, but how do y'all feel about the axiom that the first Zelda game you fully play is your favorite?

The first one I played truly to completion was Ocarina, but I played a TON of LTTP before that, I was just bad at games when I was under 10 so I never beat it.  But.... yeah Ocarina is probably still my favorite.

21 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

The first one I played truly to completion was Ocarina, but I played a TON of LTTP before that, I was just bad at games when I was under 10 so I never beat it.  But.... yeah Ocarina is probably still my favorite.

Do you feel positive memories is a huge part of that, or do you think if you were to pick it up say tomorrow you would get the same kick out of it as you did twenty years ago?

My first Zelda was technically Oracle of Seasons, but my first Nintendo developed one that I completed was...uh...Link to the Past? Twilight Princess? It might have been Twilight Princess. Or maybe Ocarina of Time.

35 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

As someone who's never played Link Awakening before, would you recommend waiting to get this one when it goes down in price?

I would personally recommend just buying the virtual console version for like $5, as cute as the updated graphics are.  This is not a $60 game for me.

My first Zelda game was Link's Awakening, but it's not my favorite.  My favorites are probably Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and Breath of the Wild (depending on the day).  It is my favorite 2D Zelda game though - I played through the original LoZ in college without much joy, and I never managed to get more than halfway through ALTTP without losing interest.

4 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I never managed to get more than halfway through ALTTP without losing interest.

And Stu accuses me of having "hot takes"! 

Do you like the music at least?

4 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I would personally recommend just buying the virtual console version for like $5, as cute as the updated graphics are.  This is not a $60 game for me.

So it really is just a visual update without much significant additions?

5 minutes ago, mstrox said:

My favorites are probably Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and Breath of the Wild (depending on the day).

Understandable.

8 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Do you feel positive memories is a huge part of that, or do you think if you were to pick it up say tomorrow you would get the same kick out of it as you did twenty years ago?

Hard to say.  I last played through it when the 3DS port came out.  And I loved it but I also didn't play it in the same way.

When I was 10 that game just captured my imagination, I loved just being in that world.  I would use the game for my own make believe pretending, ignoring the actual story, stuff like that.  That game became a part of my inner life like no Zelda game had before.

56 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

That's probably true for most people.  I eventually beat the original NES Zelda, at some point, but don't recall if it was before or after Link to the Past.  Link to the Past I beat on my SNES and loved it, and beat it again on GBA and loved it again, it's a true gaming masterpiece.  Is it my favorite?  Probably.  I later played Link's Awakening and A Link Between Worlds and found them to basically be equal masterpieces more or less, a trilogy of Nintendo just knocking it out of the park.  I'd probably have to reply all of them in close succession to each other to determine what's best or a favorite, but without thinking about it if anyone asked I'd probably just say LTTP is my favorite, yea.

Honestly I would.  I mentioned here when I first started playing I felt that this was a $40 game and not a $60 game, and now after being many more hours in I still feel the same way quite frankly.

46 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Cute Nintendo cartoon

Ha, that was good!

24 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

I tried to re-play Ocarina of Time (I beat the original on my N64 in 1999) 2 years ago in early 2017 before BOTW came out, the 3D remake on my 3DS, and I felt it didn't hold up like I remembered it.  That game is janky as hell and you can't jump.

21 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I never managed to get more than halfway through ALTTP without losing interest.

That is shocking, I find it to be an exceeding well-paced game with so many cool moments and cool things to do!

15 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

So it really is just a visual update without much significant additions?

It's not just a visual update, there are many QOL changes and a completely different engine, and updated music, and some new stuff to do.  But it's still a relatively short and easy experience.  $40 feels right.  $20 Player's choice a few years later.  Not $60.

7 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Hard to say.  I last played through it when the 3DS port came out.  And I loved it but I also didn't play it in the same way.

When I was 10 that game just captured my imagination, I loved just being in that world.  I would use the game for my own make believe pretending, ignoring the actual story, stuff like that.  That game became a part of my inner life like no Zelda game had before.

Right, I've talked with a lot of friends who have had similar experiences. 

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

That game is janky as hell and you can't jump.

I remember a couple of years ago I got together with some friends, one of whom was playing Majora's Mask. We watched him get stuck at the Stone Tower Temple, and one of my friends said, "You can just jump and climb over--oh wait". 

For me Breath of the Wild is finally 3D Zelda done right.  Though I admittedly never played Wind Waker (yet)

I never had a problem with "no jumping" (i.e. auto-jumping) in the 3D Zelda games - the limitation was essential to the puzzle and world design.  Now we've crossed the Rubicon though, so I hope they never revert back.

They certainly won't

I've had Roc's Feather permanently attached to the Y button on Link's Awakening for Switch, I only swap out the X

I suppose I should pop back in to BOTW 1 and beat Ganon before then, eh?

I was looking at my Switch library by hours played and BOTW was #1 with "over 80 hours played"

I'm assuming that TSTTLOZBOTW will only be Switch, and not Wii-U - which means that release date will be the day I buy a Switch.

I just got through the last of the initial "missions" of BOTW the other night (Kakariko-->Hateno (camera)-->back to Kakariko) with a ton of detours as are required by such a game.  It's been my late-night go-to, because I've had a few sleepless nights of late.  Baking a carrot cake tonight, so looking to play a good bit tonight while I wait for that to cool

If NIntendo releases the sequel to Breath of the Wild on the Wii U I will send you my life savings

Ver. 1.1.0 (Released October 1, 2019)

Course World

Network Play

• Added “Play with friends”
    • You can now play online with friends in either Multiplayer Versus or Multiplayer Co-op modes.
    • You can now select courses uploaded to Course World as well as courses saved to Coursebot.
    • The Nintendo Switch Online mobile app is now supported.
      • You can automatically match online with people that you were matched with via the app, and can voice chat with them.
  • Added features to “Nearby Play”
    • You can now play in Multiplayer Co-op mode as well as Multiplayer Versus mode.
    • You can now select courses uploaded to Course World as well as courses saved to Coursebot.
    • When playing a course saved to Coursebot, the host system doesn’t need to be connected to the internet.
  • Added “LAN Play”
    • Players connected to the same LAN (Local Area Network) can now wirelessly play together.
    • fter selecting Network Play, you can switch to LAN Play mode by clicking in the L Stick and pressing the L or R buttons.
  • If the connection is unstable before Multiplayer Co-op or Multiplayer Versus starts, the match will be cancelled.
  • In Multiplayer Co-op, when everyone chooses “Let’s start over!”, the timer will now be reset.
  • Changed the look of the gauge for S+, the highest rank in Multiplayer Versus.
  • If a player places Builder Boxes after a warp point, other players will now be able to break them and proceed forward.
  • All players will take the same amount of time to move through a Warp Pipe, regardless of the state of their character.
  • After updating to Ver. 1.1.0, you will no longer be able to match with players using Ver. 1.0.1 or lower in Network Play.

Course Info

• You can now select Play Together directly from any course uploaded to a player’s profile.
  • Simplified the display of comments containing stamps in “View comments.”

Maker Profile

• Added a refresh/update button to “Courses uploaded.”
  • Added a list showing a user’s 100 most recent First Clears.
  • Now displays a user’s total number of First Clears.
  • Now displays a user’s total number of world-record times.

Official Makers

• Added a list of Official Makers in Leaderboards.

Course Maker

• You can now use touch with button controls in handheld mode.
    • You can also go back to touch-only controls from Settings in the Main Menu.

General

• You can now play with a horizontal Joy-Con in all Game Modes.
    • You can change your controller grip from Settings in the Main Menu.
  • Other issues have been fixed to make for a more pleasant gaming experience.

https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/46689/kw/How to update MARIO Maker 2#v110

I've never played any of those!

Got the magnifying glass and boomerang last night, explored around with the hookshot and got a bunch of heart pieces and other stuff, made my way through the ancient ruins and beat that big guard dude, made my way into dungeon 6 - face shrine, and beat that.  One of the harder dungeons I think, I died a tons of times fighting the mini-boss who tosses the heavy ball at you

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

I died a tons of times fighting the mini-boss who tosses the heavy ball at you

I got into a nice groove of throwing the ball at him and getting back to it before he did.  But if you fall out of that rhythm he can destroy you quick.

Yea cause he corners you real easily!  And bumping into him or the ball takes 2 hearts away

A while back when i got the mail upgrade i went with the power upgrade over the defensive upgrade and this is the only time the defensive one would have helped

Meanwhile in BOTW, I spent a few hours last night completing side-quests in Kakariko and then completing the long, winding journey to Zora's Domain.  It's pretty challenging because I've been making a point to upgrade my stamina instead of my hearts this time around, so I've gotten murked pretty regularly, exhausting my supply of fairies and, like, apples and stuff.

Either because I haven't gone looking or just haven't stumbled upon them, I've actually done very few Shrines at this point.  I really need to start tackling those, for the quick-travel points if nothing else. 

Only got 2 hr 45 min of sleep last night, so probably won't play again tonight. 

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Yea cause he corners you real easily!  And bumping into him or the ball takes 2 hearts away

A while back when i got the mail upgrade i went with the power upgrade over the defensive upgrade and this is the only time the defensive one would have helped

I went with the blue mail (defense) since I figured the Koholint sword would cover the power upgrade.