Doctor Sleep (Mike Flanagan 2019)

John

14 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I didn’t read the novel.  I remember it getting middling to negative reviews.

I remember the opposite but it certainly isnt a sequel to the Kubrick film. 

Kubrick killed the real hero in the Shining but Dick is very much a part of Dr. Sleep. Dick is also a hero in the Novel It. 

• 11 months later...

I think it looks really good. 

Did they reshoot the scenes taken from Kubrick’s film? If so, it's an admirable recreation.

1 hour ago, The Original said:

Really? I thought Ouija: Origin of Evil and Before I Wake were just mediocre modern spookies.

The Haunting of Hill House was mostly fine.

38 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

Obi-Wan should have replied "Hello there"

2. I hear Berlioz, I like.

3. Was the mournful fanfare in Anakin's Dark Deeds inspired by this moment in Fantastique? Mind blown.

More like all of that was inspired by an infamous Medieval plainchant.

Karol

6 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

why infamous?

Because it's all over music history. And it's all over film music history. Pretty much every composer used this idea to convey things to do with death or judgement at some point in their career. Dude in your avatar picture also used it. Some people find it annoying and clichéd.

Karol

On 6/14/2019 at 10:50 AM, The Original said:

Really? I thought Ouija: Origin of Evil and Before I Wake were just mediocre modern spookies.

Those are pretty good, as are HUSH and GERALD'S GAME, but not my favourites of his. I prefer his excellent ABSENTIA, OCULUS and the TV series HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE. 

• 2 months later...

I keep thinking this is the Doctor Strange sequel and keep clicking on this waiting for the Giacchino announcement so I can read the usual "Ugh, hired him AGAIN!? What is this world coming to!?" booing.

I like plenty of movies he’s in, but he’s never the reason. There’s something very shallow about his acting.  He doesn’t inhabit his characters nor does he exude movie star charisma. 

I'm not sold. This seems too formulaic and literal; probably more to King's own taste, though, than the original film (just as he preferred to the mini-series to the Kubrick film). But I'll give it the benefit of the doubt for now. In any case, I doubt they'll be able to replicate the set and surroundings as well as Spielberg did in READY PLAYER ONE.

8 minutes ago, Thor said:

In any case, I doubt they'll be able to replicate the set and surroundings as well as Spielberg did in READY PLAYER ONE.

How much of the set did Spielberg actually recreate vs. CGI recreation?

From IMDB:

A significant part of the film takes place in a virtual space based on the Overlook Hotel in the film The Shining. This was mostly a digital recreation of the film using high-quality telecine of the original film, giving them some freedom of new camera angles and shots that could be generated from this recreation. The final film includes a combination of the original footage from The Shining and ILM's additional work. Only a few scenes in this sequence which involved real actors, such as the appearance of the Grady twins, required them to construct a faithful reproduction of The Shining's set for the actors to interact with. Finally, the sequence was post-processed to introduce film grain and other aging effects to make the new footage indistinguishable from the original film. 

1 hour ago, Arpy said:

That's what I mean, I wasn't aware any of it was recreated, instead matte shots of the original with CGI.

Yes, how it was managed, is less important to me. But the absolute organic interaction with the characters left my jaw dangling on the floor when I first saw it. The sense of 'being there' was stunning. And that grain, the glorious grain!

• 2 weeks later...

So the 4K restoration of The Shining that screened at Cannes this year will be getting a theatrical re-release on the 26th and 27th this month in select theaters.

It seems to be a pretty limited release, I only found out about it when browsing the Blu-ray.com forums. But I checked and there's a screening this Thursday at my local AMC.

Just thought I'd put that out there. :)