What is your favorite JW long film cue?

karelm

48 minutes ago, Dieter Stark said:

Visitor in San Diego

Hell yeah! Which leads me to a question: what would y'all's favorite Williams long form cue be in the 21st century? A lot has been said about his shifting approach to scoring over the past couple decades, and I don't think examples of a long form approach from the 2000's come as quickly to the mind.

45 minutes ago, Bryant Burnette said:

"The Last Battle."

Not a film cue unless you mean the only 4:33 long "12M1 The Last Battle", the second half of Battle of Yavin.

Single long cue...

Schindler's Workforce (film version) - pretty long even without The Money Exchange I guess!

Journey to the Island

Time Past/Saving Buckbeak

I think a world of difference exists between long stretches recorded separately but intended to crossfade/overlap into one, and OST tracks cobbled together from many unrelated cues - neither of the 4 parts of the Last Battle are even next to each other, the last 2, even joined in Battle of Yavin on the SE, are separated by 4 unscored minutes in the film.

5 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Hell yeah! Which leads me to a question: what would y'all's favorite Williams long form cue be in the 21st century? A lot has been said about his shifting approach to scoring over the past couple decades, and I don't think examples of a long form approach from the 2000's come as quickly to the mind.

“The Quidditch Match” is fab.

What about the desert chase from Raiders?

Back in the day, I felt like these long finishes were a trademark of JW and his spectacle.  I remember going to see a new film he scored with great anticipation for what he'll do in in the ending sequences.  It doesn't seem like he does that any more.  Well, maybe ROTS but it didn't have the same build up to battle of the heroes, perhaps because there is just so much music throughout the film that it didn't feel like that much of a stand out sequence.

Y'all are using the word "cue" wrong, usually these long tracks are comprised of multiple cues edited together to form a continuous experience.  I don't think he's ever written a single individual cue longer than around 6 minutes, but he's certainly written several series of cues that he intended to be heard connected together (in the film and on album).

One of my favorite long JW tracks is "The Mecha World (Extended)" from AI (almost 9 minutes), unfortunately I could only find the shortened OST edit on youtube

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

Ya'll are using the word "cue" wrong, usually these long tracks are comprised of multiple cues edited together to form a continuous experience.  I don't think he's ever written a single individual cue longer than around 6 minutes, but he's certainly written several series of cues that he intended to be heard connected together (in the film and on album).

Yeah but for all intents and purposes it’s a single piece of music. 

Also it’s y’all (you all) not ya’ll ;) 

Planting the Charges. The Towering Inferno. One of the Best. The best is the first original post. All though its actually Adventure on Earth. Last time i used Adventures Jason promptly and correctly pointed out my error.

45 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Isn't The Battle of Hoth technically four cues, one "track"?

Yea

Here's probably my favourite JW scores. The order is a bit arbitrary, except for the first spot:

1. Jurassic Park

2. The Empire Strikes Back

3. Star Wars

4. E.T. and Jaws

5. The Last Crusade and Schindler's List

...and here's possibly my favourite non-JW scores, in arbitrary order:

Oliver: Lady Jane

Herrmann: North by Northwest

Barry: Out of Africa

Goodwin: Where Eagles Dare

Walton: Henry V

Morricone: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Jarre: Lawrence of Arabia

Korngold: Captain Blood, The Sea Hawk, Robin Hood

19 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Here's probably my favourite JW scores. The order is a bit arbitrary, except for the first spot:

1. Jurassic Park

2. The Empire Strikes Back

3. Star Wars

4. E.T. and Jaws

5. The Last Crusade and Schindler's List

...and here's possibly my favourite non-JW scores, in arbitrary order:

Oliver: Lady Jane

Herrmann: North by Northwest

Barry: Out of Africa

Goodwin: Where Eagles Dare

Walton: Henry V

Morricone: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Jarre: Lawrence of Arabia

Korngold: Captain Blood, The Sea Hawk, Robin Hood

Whoops, you gotta put that in the other thread!  Don't worry, I think I've done this before!

I don't know if we'll ever know. Often long cues are broken into parts for recording then edited together so seamlessly you can't tell where the cut is. 

One of the longest is certainly 12M2 I Remember from Hook. 

I love this beautiful, mysterious, and dark long cue from EOTS.

Reminds me of the grim stillness of Rued Langgaard's Misterio "Dodssejleren".  Excuse poor recording, this was the only performance I could find.

Still no word on the length of cues/tracks here. Are we individually to set a number of minutes of what constitutes a long track, say 5 minutes and more?

I'm not sure what really counts as a long cue, since so much of film music is recorded piecemeal and edited together after the fact, but these lengthy tracks are among my favorites:

Journey to the Island

The Battle of Yavin (from the 1997 RCA expansion)

Omaha Beach

Adventure on Earth

Yes, I think we can establish that karlem meant TRACKS on a soundtrack albums, not film cues.

But I still need some length limitations, dammit!

2 hours ago, Thor said:

Still no word on the length of cues/tracks here. Are we individually to set a number of minutes of what constitutes a long track, say 5 minutes and more?

Ah! In that case, I'm with @JoeinAR.

PLANTING THE CHARGES is fantastic!

On 6/18/2019 at 12:05 AM, King Mark said:

isn't that his worse long cue?

Indeed. 

Has anyone mention Desert Chase. The good original soundtrack version.

3 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Has anyone mention Desert Chase

On 6/18/2019 at 10:11 AM, karelm said:

What about the desert chase from Raiders?

thank god. Its so good it deserves more than just one person liking it.

9 hours ago, Thor said:

I think at least 7 minutes or so would make sense as long.  I have no problems with multiple cues like Hoth being tied together because aesthetically it fits with a theatrical sequence but also makes musical sense.  In contrast, Star Wars "Rescue of the Princess" and "The Walls Converge" takes place in a sequence full of music but clearly serves a specific style and scene so doesn't make sense to combine different cues even if they were heard side by side.  These are different set pieces.  Shouldn't "The Throne Room" and "End Titles" be considered one cue not two?  Should we consider Far and Away, the Land Rush which is 12:32 in the film (not the OST) a single cue?  I think that makes sense. 

I think as has been said earlier - reality of how films are scored and recorded kinda defeats this question in the first place right.

If cues are truly recorded in smaller pieces - who cares how they were presented in the film and on the album. The reality is that they were in the end smaller pieces.

14 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I think as has been said earlier - reality of how films are scored and recorded kinda defeats this question in the first place right.

If cues are truly recorded in smaller pieces - who cares how they were presented in the film and on the album. The reality is that they were in the end smaller pieces.

Not true.  It takes a great deal of care and skill to keep a musical thought cohesive for extended time.  Who cares that it was recorded in four pieces?