Gistech

Hans Zimmer's The Lion King (2019)

On 7/11/2019 at 6:16 PM, Fabulin said:

The 1994 Lion King OST was like orchestral soul music. Half of the instrument and rhytmic/melodic choices were quite haunting. This one sounds like Black Panther mixed with Epic Trailer Music, which to me breaks most of the dramatism. At first I was actually kind of boiling internally, because to pollute a rather delicate score with the aesthetic of 2010s pop soundtracks is bafflingly sacrilegious. That being said, the reimaginings of the two action cues are quite good as far as the use of themes goes. Remind me of the score to the sequel more than the original.

And I really liked this moment:

"Mufasa don't die pls:(

Well put.  It really sounds more like an amateur mock-up of The Lion King than something new: "sure, it's good, but it needs more Zebra and amplified solo cello."  I'll admit I do like some of the choral revisions in "The Stampede," though.  It's also baffling just how badit sounds at points.  Something's really off with the tuning in a couple places.  It's really a shame; the suite on the "World of Hans Zimmer" album was so well-done and I had hopes the new album would be in that vein.

There's only two tracks that truly bother me, and even then only half of each track - the latter halves of "Stampede" and "Reflections of Mufasa".

It's not the fact they're at a different pitch. It's the fact that they sound like they've been artifically reduced in pitch, during mixing. Bumping them up to the same pitch as the 1994 equivalents makes them sound far more natural.

Also, the ending of "Reflections of Mufasa" is unsatisfying compared to the original anyway, and I really don't think Spirit worked in the place it went. It would have worked as a song in the end credits. That sequence could have had an extended version of Busa Simba.

I think it is fair to say that the whole project is a disappointment and pointless. The 1994 masterpiece reigns, both film and soundtrack. Just stick with that.