What are your favorite film/TV waltzes?

Tydirium

I thought it would be interesting to share our favorite waltzes from film and television. I'll start with a few off the top of my head:

"The Carousel Waltz" (from CAROUSEL) - Richard Rodgers

"Dress Waltz" (from LEGEND) - Jerry Goldsmith

"Aunt Marge's Waltz" (from HARRY POTTER AND THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN) - John Williams

"The Seduction of Princess Leia" (from STAR WARS: SHADOWS OF THE EMPIRE) - Joel McNeely

"Cries and Whispers" (from OLDBOY) - Cho Young-Wuk

"The Chairman's Waltz" (from MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA) - John Williams

Curious to see what others come up with! Hoping to discover some good new ones to help fill out a "Waltzing at the movies" playlist, or something. Ideally looking for tracks in which a good chunk of the music is waltz-style—so, tossing out tracks that are long and feature only a brief waltz at just the beginning, middle or end. And yes, I know that McNeely's SHADOWS OF THE EMPIRE is a video game score, but I'm including it as he is primarily known as a film composer. :)

I have always considered the main title of the fury to have Waltz like qualities.

The Ent thematic material itself, is somewhat unremarkable, I agree. But the Fangorn material also gave us this beast, which is about at Tolkien as Shore ever got really:

I love the Grand Waltz from the ballroom sequence in The Sound of Music.  Such an elegant transformation of the My Favourite Things melody.

Hugo of course

And then there's this

Since this is a JW forum, I'll leave this here

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the suggestions, everybody!

On 6/28/2019 at 10:19 AM, tannhauser said:

I love the Grand Waltz from the ballroom sequence in The Sound of Music.  Such an elegant transformation of the My Favourite Things melody.

This one is really fantastic; I've been on a Richard Rodgers kick lately and had no idea he was such a waltz guy. For those who don't mind lyrics with their waltzes, in addition to the famous "Carousel Waltz", it turns out that a fair number of his songs are actually waltzes (some more obvious than others). Some examples:

"It's a Grand Night for Singing" [from STATE FAIR (1945)]

"I'm in Love with a Wonderful Guy" (from SOUTH PACIFIC)

"My Favorite Things" (from THE SOUND OF MUSIC)

"Ten Minutes Ago" (from CINDERELLA)

...Whose tune also features in:

"Waltz for a Ball" (from CINDERELLA)

"Oh, What a Beautiful Mornin'" (from OKLAHOMA!)

"Out of My Dreams" (from OKLAHOMA!)

"Hello, Young Lovers" (from THE KING AND I)

I would also highly recommend that everyone check out this fantastic medley of Rodgers waltzes sung by Julie Andrews. The arrangement and orchestral performance (and of course her singing) are all stellar.

And of course I can't go without mentioning Williams' own recording of Rodgers waltzes, with the Boston Pops:

To cap it all off, here's Rodgers' own recording of a waltz medley he conducted with the New York Philharmonic, different than the JW/BPO one above:

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...