Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - Score Predictions

crumbs

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - Mid Year Score Predictions  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Has John already completed a batch of recording sessions?

2. 2. Which new characters has John written a theme for?

• Jannah (Naomi Ackie)
    • Zorri Bliss (Keri Russell)
    • Allegiant General Pryde (Richard E. Grant)
    • The Knights of Ren
    • Klaud (the slug creature)
    • D-O (BB8's new companion)
    • Something else (specify in the comments)
  3. 3. Which existing characters receive a new theme?

• Rey
    • Kylo Ren
    • Lando Calrissian
    • The First Order
    • Finn
    • Someone else (specify in the comments)
  4. 4. What is the score's 'signature' new theme?

• Rey/Kylo Ren duality/showdown theme (ala Battle of the Heroes)
    • Rey's Destiny/family discovery type theme (ala Window to the Past)
    • Kylo Ren's long-anticipated march
    • A stirring 'uniting the galaxy' theme about the Resistance rallying planets to fight the First Order
    • Just a new character theme; the score won't have any 'nebulous' themes (ala Anakin's Betrayal)
    • Something else (specify in the comments)
  5. 5. How long will the complete score be?

• Far shorter than either TFA (175 minutes) or TLJ (185 minutes) due to the compressed production schedule; a 'normal' 2 hours
    • About the same as TFA and TLJ (3 hours)
    • Far longer than the previous two scores, due to extensive JJ revisions (200+ minutes)
  6. 6. What microphone setup will Murphy use for his recording?

• Something dry and harsh, like The Force Awakens
    • Something wet and warm, like The Last Jedi
    • Something in between
  7. 7. Which noteworthy theme DOES NOT return?

• Poe's Theme
    • Rose's Theme
    • Han Solo and the Princess
    • Kylo Ren's B or C Theme
  8. 8. Does John or his music have any form of diegetic cameo in the film, even as an easter egg?

9. 9. Which (relatively unused) theme/idea from the previous trilogies makes a return?

• Lando's Palace (ESB)
    • Emperor's Theme (ROTJ)
    • Duel of the Fates (TPM)
    • Across the Stars (AOTC)
    • The Asteroid Field (ESB)
    • The Imperial March (ESB)
    • Lament/Immolation Scene (ROTS)
    • Into the Trap (ROTJ)
    • Through the Flames (ROTJ)
    • The Dark Side Beckons (ROTJ)
    • The Legend of Darth Plagueis (Sith motif from ROTS)
  10. 10. Will the score feature choral elements?

• Yes, prequel-esque choir for the epic climax
    • Yes, but only in short, select moments (like Finn's Attempted Sacrifice)
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

9 hours ago, hornist said:

Talking about Solo here in the real Star Wars music discussion is almost hilarious. 

I bet Williams would have a few things to say about whether his own music is 'real' or not, pr did you forget he wrote for the film alongside Powell?

12 hours ago, Arpy said:

And a whole theme.

And that theme is awesome, one of the best by Williams, so energetic by the old master. Sadly powell didn't get anything out of it. And the film itself looks and sounds like james bond film, I have nothing agains jb but dont want it in my SW universe. And I liked Dice and Roll, the other half of it. 

I find it really weird that the film is basically 5 weeks away and there's still no musicians on the iMDB page. Maybe they've been told not to promote or acknowledge their work on the score until the sessions are completely wrapped (they might still be recording this month).

13 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Perhaps this will be Williams' first 100% electronic score!

Goldsmith and Horner had theirs, why not him?

JJ asked for that and Williams mentioned that he would then need a better composer than him...

9 hours ago, crumbs said:

I find it really weird that the film is basically 5 weeks away and there's still no musicians on the iMDB page. Maybe they've been told not to promote or acknowledge their work on the score until the sessions are completely wrapped (they might still be recording this month).

Still no soundtrack listing on Amazon, Target etc

It is advertised on the poster so I haven’t given up hope that it’s not cancelled.

15 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I don't remember any of the musicians listed on the IMDB pages for the previous films until after the albums were released.

Well you mustn't have checked for TLJ because multiple musicians had their name listed for the score in the middle of 2017, either during or after the sessions.

We knew there would be a choral and percussive presence in the score based on their credits, specifically a percussionist who also worked with JW on TLW, and some singers who were members of the LA Master Chorale.

3 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Still no soundtrack listing on Amazon, Target etc

It is advertised on the poster so I haven’t given up hope that it’s not cancelled.

When were the OSTs listed for TFA and TLJ?  I'm too lazy to look.

Indeed. With the other two saga movies, everything on the media was Star Wars on the month preceding the premiere, but with this the marketing has been very shy so far - I mean, compared to the other movies and with other blockbusters of similar size, like the Avengers films. 

Have they been airing TV spots?  I watch a few shows on ABC but I haven't seen any spots except one for a SW game (I think?).  Then again, I fast forward through all the commercials - I rarely watch any live anymore.  The Mandalorian (and Disney+ in general) has also gotten a lot of attention on Freeform.

I haven't seen any at all yet. The Star Wars Twitter page posted one tweet today and that's it. It wasn't even promoted. 

The weird thing about it is nobody knows what the hell the movie is about, and after the last movie, you'd think they'd go a little overboard to win people back, which means showing them a little more. It used to be that you could just show the Star Wars logo on the screen and people would show up, but its not like that now.

Marketing is about getting people in the theater.  Is anyone doubting that the theaters will be full opening week?  At that point, if the movie is good, more and more will come (along with repeat views). If it sucks, no amount of marketing is going to help.  

Speculation on Box Office Theory that Disney aren't confident marketing multiple SW properties at once, due to brand saturation. I'd expect TROS marketing to ramp up once Mandalorian has launched. A successful Disney+ launch seems to be their immediate focus.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Speculation on Box Office Theory that Disney aren't confident marketing multiple SW properties at once, due to brand saturation. I'd expect TROS marketing to ramp up once Mandalorian has launched. A successful Disney+ launch seems to be their immediate focus.

Agreed, also once Ford v Ferrari and Frozen II are out. At that point TROS will probably be everywhere.

I think Disney is just waiting for Frozen 2 to be open and Disney+ and The Mandolorian to have started before ramping up the SW9 marketing 

Forgot about Frozen 2, good point. This is the tricky part when one studio holds so many properties. How do you market one without sacrificing another? It really just needs to be an assembly line where you focus on one thing until it's done, before focusing on the next.

But back to score predictions: Anybody think Disney will commit the ultimate act of corporately humble fan magnanimity and re-institute the 20th Century Fox fanfare before this film—freshly re-recorded, of course—since, you know, it's just one more subsidiary now?

Yeah, didn't think so.

No chance the logo is reinstated, it's not a Fox production. They have nothing to do with the film and Disney would never credit them for it (regardless of the fact they own said company now).

Just the fanfare without the logo though? Well... still highly unlikely but who knows. They'll definitely be pursuing a new recording of the fanfare now they've acquired the company. Would be a nice touch if Williams got to conduct it.

1 hour ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Please don't be another binary sunset...

It is going to be another binary sunset.  The only hope is that it will have a Rey's theme counterpoint.  

I'm not convinced they really know or care anything about that. If they did mention it at all it was probably a "friendly reminder" after it made a little news.

It's just kinda weird the soundtrack still isn't available for pre-order.

1 hour ago, Tom said:

It is going to be another binary sunset.  The only hope is that it will have a Rey's theme counterpoint.  

I am fully expecting the movie to end with Binary Sunset as we all know and love-hate it, but I just hope there's a nice long, flowing finale cue building up to it. Last Jedi's was underwhelming there, you gotta have the big uninterrupted musical send-off. I would be perfectly happy with something like III's final cue, just replace the Luke's Theme rendition with a full Rey's Theme. The TFA and TLJ credit tags are basically how I really hope to hear it somewhere toward the end of this movie. The little intro motifs are optional but just gimme the theme, graceful, resolute, emotionally broad but not as heightened as the concert piece. It's yet to really play out in the films like that.

12 minutes ago, Modest Expectations said:

"And J.J. Abrams literally said: "fuck it"."

Well now we know why.

"You get a binary sunset! You get a binary sunset! EVERYBODY GETS A BINARY SUNSET!!!"

9 hours ago, Modest Expectations said:

No new Williams' music in the trailers, no soundtrack album, musicians not allowed to add the film to their biographies... I wonder whether there are any reasons behind it.

The first one might be a result of there being no new themes in TROS, for example. Okay.

The second---a result of reshoots, late editing, and prolonged recordings. Fair enough.

But what about those musicians? The lists of CGI, make-up, stunt, camera etc. people are all there. What makes them special in that regard?

Maybe they had a near-leak case with someone in TFA or TLJ, and now have taken precautions. Maybe musicians were pesterd by some crazy fan. I don't know. It seems weird.

I remember with TLJ that in the days before the film was released we were also kind of surprised about the fact that we hadn’t heard even a little snippet of JW’s recorded music. It’s just the way it goes I guess.