Spider-Man 2 is 15 years old.

John

I am surprised this thread did not take off the way I thought it would. 

I thought everyone here loves this movie?

2 hours ago, John said:

I thought everyone here loves this movie?

A few of us do. There's just absolutely nothing to talk about in general and we can't even muster up any discussion about things we enjoy.

As for Batman Vs. Spider-Man 2, I of course favor Batman, but in terms of the story and characters, Spider-Man 2 is far more interesting and it has a superior romance as well.

I saw it once. That's all the time  i had for toby mcguire. 

I was thinking of Spidey 2 today and how it's one of the best movies I've ever seen. All the romantic declarations of love, the turmoil of Peter Parker wanting to have the things he wants and not accept his spider destiny. I love the scene where he's still not ready to be Spider-Man again, but his inner hero is brought out by the apartment fire. He saves the little girl and then the fireman says that some poor soul got trapped and never made it out, absolutely killing the mood when we were ready to welcome Spidey back.

The movie makes Peter and the audience earn him back.

On 7/6/2019 at 12:14 AM, John said:

It's hardly a celebratory classic though is it.

3 hours ago, Quintus said:

It's hardly a celebratory classic though is it.

Have you taken over Gkgyver’s role as the resident contrarian on this site, Quint?

Gkgyver isn't really what I consider to be a contrarian though. As in, I don't ever think of him as someone who disagrees with folk or the consensus for the sake of it. It's more a case of he just enjoys being a bit of a cunt.

6 hours ago, Dieter Stark said:

I was thinking of Spidey 2 today and how it's one of the best movies I've ever seen. All the romantic declarations of love, the turmoil of Peter Parker wanting to have the things he wants and not accept his spider destiny. I love the scene where he's still not ready to be Spider-Man again, but his inner hero is brought out by the apartment fire. He saves the little girl and then the fireman says that some poor soul got trapped and never made it out, absolutely killing the mood when we were ready to welcome Spidey back.

The movie makes Peter and the audience earn him back.

Best movies you've ever seen? You must not have seen more than a handful I suspect.

Probably my superhero movie. Back when they didn't all seem so cookie-cutter. Haven't seen this in a long time though.

7 hours ago, Dieter Stark said:

Anyone else think Spider-Man 2 is the best Marvel movie?

Yes! I suspect some of that success is down to having a director like Raimi and a studio that hadn't succumb to the 'Gotta make a hit, or I'll get the kick' MCU paranoia. 

Admittedly in today's sensibilities it's a bit dated, but as far as superhero films go, it remains one of the best of its time, alongside the likes of X2 and The Dark Knight. I certainly still have a blast watching it.

Pity it would be followed by the schlock that was Spider-Man 3. And given Venom is one of my all-time favourite Spidey villains, that one hurt the most.

Great music there. It's been a while since a comic book movie score really hit all the notes. Elfman can't even compose a listenable score anymore. Justice League was such ass it's just pathetic.

spider-man-21-movie-screencaps.com-8515.jpg

Spider-Man 2 ultimately is about love and finding that balance in your life between what you want to do and what you have to do. All very human things. While there's plenty of superhero action and fantastic stuff done stylishly and with Raimi's patented zaniness and whimsy, it's still pretty conservative with the fantasy elements. That was the norm for funny book movies at the time and in this case, you were really connecting with the characters because it was such an ordinary story with some extraordinary elements.

Now, the norm for funny book movies is ludicrous computerized action scenes with nonsensical energy weapons (The "CGI thing that's going to blow up the city" shtick seems to have originated here?), aliens and space travel, time travel, dimensional travel, people coming back from the dead, a fucking talking racoon...that sort of stuff would be completely out of place in this universe.

My main issue today with these types of films is their self-reflexive qualities: if the movie isn't taking itself seriously - what with its self-parody - how could the audience?

Because people never joke or banter or experience moments of levity in real life. Real life is dark, disturbing and cruel, which should be accurately reflected in blockbuster funnybook films.

As in Spider-Man 2, you have your hero go through all this realistic relatable dark and disturbing cruelty so that in the end when he finally learns who he is and gets the girl, it's all the more satisfying.

8 hours ago, Dieter Stark said:

Great music there. It's been a while since a comic book movie score really hit all the notes. Elfman can't even compose a listenable score anymore. Justice League was such ass it's just pathetic.

Elfman's score was one of the saving graces of that movie. It's not Batman or Spider-Man 2 quality, but then those were 30 and 15 years ago.

That exchange between Peter and MJ after the play is my favorite in that movie, aside from the apartment scene. It's just a wistful and hopeful scene.