Spider-Man 2 is 15 years old.

John

5 hours ago, The Original said:

Because people never joke or banter or experience moments of levity in real life. Real life is dark, disturbing and cruel, which should be accurately reflected in blockbuster funnybook films.

Not exactly my point. I was thinking more about how Marvel movies make fun of themselves. deliberately. You know the kind of jokes: those that disrupt the flow of a scene and offer a sort of wink to the audience.

It’s a very specific kind of humour, and it works for those Marvel movies which are more comedic at their core. The rest, though? Not so much.

The MCU has been comedic since it’s impetus, but it certainly took wing after The Avengers. The use of bathos works for that film, because it’s primarily meant to be comedic. But, even in their lighter fare, there can only be so many times that card can be played.

11 hours ago, Dieter Stark said:

spider-man-21-movie-screencaps.com-9360.jpg

Another whopper of a scene is when Peter tells Aunt May the truth about how Uncle Ben died. That scene really defines the character of Spider-Man and his continuing turmoil in this movie. Making the choice between right and wrong, using your power for good, giving up the things you want most. Aunt May's response is initially very unsettling and I remember audible gasps and sad expressions in the theater when she walks out.

It really works due to editor Bob Murawski. Props to him keeping that unbroken take of Peter telling May before cutting to her reaction and her walking out. It works so well without music.