Anyone actually attended a JW scoring session?

Ozzel

Wondering if anyone here has actually participated in (as a musician or technician) or somehow been invited to a John Williams scoring session and could write about his or her experience here. Thanks.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I got to meet Williams in Boston last year I asked him about possibly attending a scoring session. He didn't seem too willing to give much information, but told me to keep trying. So I am doing just that. If I ever do, I will absolutely write about it.

I really don't think Williams can decide who can attend to a scoring session, since the music he produces belong also to the producers of the movie...soooo........ :cry:

Unfortunately not, but have been to sessions with Ron Goodwin, Elmer Bernstein, Howard Shore & Charles Gerhardt (the latter of which when I was still in my pram!!!). Bernstein was amazing to watch at work in Dublin with the Peter Hyams movie 'Roommates', such a friendly man who openly admitted his adoration for Williams when i asked him. He spoke fondly of a jazz band he formed with Williams, Andre Previn & Henry Mancini during the '50's.

Even some of the top VP's from Warners couldn't get in to the HP scoring sessions, so it isn't just all about who you are!

Exactally. You don't have to be somebody to get into the sessions. I guess what he meant by "Keep Trying" was for me to keep talking to people, sending letters / emails / phone calls, and that hopefully one day I'll get a 'yes'.

I was VERY VERY close to attending the recording sessions with Danny Elfman, John Ottman, and Christopher Young but each time I got a positive response, I was not able to get out of work.

So, I guess it all depends on how you go at it and who you speak to and I think A LOT of it depends on the mood of who the person that you're speaking to.

• 9 years later...

Just bumping this thread. Anybody been to a scoring session since this was last active in '03? Really wondering how i might get to see scoring session video from old scores, especially temple of doom. You would imagine someone would have had a camera and recording it way back then no?