Is David Bowie's music overrated?

Is David Bowie's music overrated?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Is David Bowie's music overrated?

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

But The Bangles are obviously far superior and far far more influential, right?

Obviously!

not.

Susanna Hoffs covered Bowie on her first solo album, btw

Kind of a disaster.

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

But The Bangles are obviously far superior and far far more influential, right?

The only good Bangles song was written by Prince, a greater artist than any of the ones mentioned in this thread.

12 hours ago, Richard said:

(sigh) Paul Hewson, David Evans, Adam Clayton, and

Larry Mullen Jr.

Yep ... not exactly difficult info to either look up or retain. 

I can't be bothered to refute at length the Bowie and U2 dissing in this thread. Some people are just plain wrong, bless them. 

I’m not a fan of artists who crossed every musical movements with a specific sound or look.

Artists like Bowie and Madonna leave me pretty cold. I respect their career and their many fans, I just never get caught by their « quest ».

14 hours ago, Bespin said:

I’m not a fan of artists who crossed every musical movements with a specific sound or look.

What about Michael Jackson? 

Hmm, well, the thread poses too broad a question. You have to give me a specific song or musical moment, then I can tell you if its overrated. I've got a lot of favorite songs, but people mistake that I enjoy the artist when I show them just a song.

37 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Did he touch you while you were a kid and told you it was a secret?

:pat:

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Did he touch you while you were a kid and told you it was a secret?

He had to sign an NDA.

7 hours ago, Borodin said:

Hmm, well, the thread poses too broad a question. You have to give me a specific song or musical moment, then I can tell you if its overrated. I've got a lot of favorite songs, but people mistake that I enjoy the artist when I show them just a song.

I'm talking in general.

On 7/11/2019 at 2:06 AM, SteveMc said:

Obviously!

not.

Susanna Hoffs covered Bowie on her first solo album, btw

Kind of a disaster.

Yes, it was a disaster, but it was a cover of a song from a criminally underrated record: LODGER.

That's not bad, Steve!  Kind of "of a time," but that was just what the era sounded like.

Lodger is really good, and Boys Keep Swinging is a great song.  I always loved Bowie's SNL performance

I'd agree that a disproportionate amount of his songs, especially the instrumentals, function well as album tracks (which work excellently and help the flow of the album, but might not be something you'd put on for 3-5 minutes in isolation).  

The problem with Bowie's hits releases -  even the most comprehensive greatest hits package, 2014's 3-disc "Nothing Has Changed," leaves out some all-time classic Bowie tunes (as it must for space considerations, since Bowie's career spanned six decades and 26 solo albums, along with two band albums (under Tin Machine) and numerous B-sides, soundtrack cues, etc).  It's missing tons of singles, tracks which had a place on previous greatest hits comps, etc - just glancing at the list, songs like Five Years, Soul Love, Lady Stardust, Watch that Man, The Prettiest Star, Beauty and the Beast, Outside, Dead Man Walking, Slip Away, any tracks from Blackstar, any tracks from Labyrinth.  Great songs all.