Is Star Wars music overrated?

Is it?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

Nah, it's really, REALLY good.

Assuming we're talking about John Williams' contributions; Most of the stuff by other composers doesn't do much for me, though there are exceptions

NEVER!

Star Wars was a major sociocultural event, in many aspects, including its music.

It’s a phenomenon that the X generation keeps alive since 40 years. So If you didn’t grew up with Star Wars, it may not had the same impact on your life... poor you!

🤠

I thought there was a virus on my computer because the thread said "is star wars music overrated" and I did happen to smash my computer on the floor and freak out after reading that, but I then realized, this was just a typo. You meant to say: "Is star wars music underrated?" Okay, now I can understand the question, it has a logical relevancy and rational applicability behind it. It reads smoothly, it has real feeling to it, it serves a purpose. The other one made weird chalk noises happen my head, but now I need a new computer.

Rey's Theme is hailed the beshtest thing ever, like, since the shliced bread. A random maintheme to COD3 totally couldn't knock it out with one punch.

Reply to this statement with the exact opposite and get your guaranteed 5 hearts.

IMO the first two movies and scores cannot be overrated; they are masterpieces to me. 

ROTJ isn’t overrated - I think the general consensus is that’s it’s the weakest of the OT by a decent amount. The movie is fine (aside from Ewoks, Solo’s character development, and Special Edition changes) and the score is good (I wish the recording was better though - it seems to have a “thinner” sound than the first two).

The prequel movies are trash and are only good for watching fun-ish lightsaber fights and enjoying those sweet, sweet memes from r/prequelmemes. TPM’s score is underrated IMO - I think it’s the best of the PT by far and is close behind ROTJ.

The new movies are tricky to talk about. TFA is an ok movie, and the score is very much above average. I still don’t know how to feel about TLJ as movie. It’s the only Star Wars movie in the main series I’ve only seen once (opening night in a theatre full of sweaty nerds), so I guess that says something. I’ve listened to the OST a handful of times and I like it as much as I like TFA. But they are nowhere near as good as the OT and I don’t think anything thinks they are. So they seem to be rated correctly. 

tl;dr

OT movies: rated correctly

OT music: rated correctly 

PT movies: overrated due to fire memes on the internet

PT music: overrated besides TPM

ST movies: who knows

ST music: rated correctly 

7 hours ago, Fargo said:

IMO the first two movies and scores cannot be overrated; they are masterpieces to me. [...]ROTJ isn’t overrated - I think the general consensus is that’s it’s the weakest of the OT by a decent amount. The movie is fine[...]and the score is good[...]The prequel movies are trash[...]TPM’s score is underrated IMO - I think it’s the best of the PT.

The new movies are tricky to talk about. TFA is an ok movie, and the score is very much above average. I still don’t know how to feel about TLJ as movie.[...] I’ve listened to the OST a handful of times[...]But they are nowhere near as good as the OT.

I think the first two scores are terrific, with a slight edge to the original. The films are great, too, with a major edge to the second. Return of the Jedi is...okay as a film. Its a bit piecemeal: there's a Jabba "episode", an Ewok "episode", etcetra. As a result, the score to the film isn't as cohesive as the previous ones, but its still effective.

I don't have any particular dislike for the prequels. For an entry in the action-adventure series, The Phantom Menace does action and adventure quite well, although it has its obvious demoting factors. The score, on the other hand, is absolutely cracking! Attack of the Clones is a very unfortunate film: I like that we spend some quiet, unhurried time in the republic and that's about it. The score is much too understated, with the exception of that wonderful love theme. Revenge of the Sith is a much better film, and the latter half of the score is wonderfully operatic, if not quite as intricate as some other entries.

The Force Awakens is a good film: its a really strong, fresh execution of a familiar story. Its laudable that, while so much of what appears on the screen is familiar, the score is almost entirely fresh. Its just not as extroverted as I like a Star Wars score to be, and that combined with the film's sound mix is the death of the score. The Last Jedi is a fine film. Its perhaps the most stylish of the lot. But then, it deconstructs the Star Wars formula only to put it back together almost exactly as it was - meh. The score is much more muscular than The Force Awakens, but its a bit of a "biggest hits" reel. It just about killed The Force Theme through overexposure.

So yeah, the music to the first two films and to The Phantom Menace is quite above criticism. Revenge of the Sith and Return of the Jedi are quite good, as well. Attack of the Clones, along with the sequel scores (thus far) are among my least favourites. Its still very good film music, but I suppose you could say its overrated.

Is STAR WARS music overrated? By whom, and in what way(s)?

I like all ten (so far) scores, to varying degrees. I can't say that I particularly hate any of them, but I do have a favourite. Besides, John Williams on an off-day is better than most composers at their very best.