PLANET OF THE APES - Film Series 5CD box set from La-La Land Records (2019)

Jay

I find JG's The Hunt to be very good, especially in its first half, but the last minute the piece just dwindles away instead of giving us the grandiose ending that it calls for.

6 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

That explains why I didn't see it!

25 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

That happens in both Goldsmith "The Hunt"-tracks and it works great. Not every piece needs a big orchestral climax. I wish Williams would realize that when writing his orchestral arrangements.

This is actually one thing that I find grating in John Williams concerts when you have so many of the concert suites being played. Too many big climaxes one after another.

Karol

46 minutes ago, crocodile said:

This is actually one thing that I find grating in John Williams concerts when you have so many of the concert suites being played. Too many big climaxes one after another.

Karol

I can't stand that fluffy little bow Williams often does at the end of a lot of suites and themes.

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Better than an ending that was never heard nor written?

A grandiose ending can also be emotional, and doesn't have to be virtuosic.

There is a grandiose ending, JS. You have to think of THE HUNT and THE BLOODING REEL as one track.

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What are you talking about?

Oh, come on, dude, it's everywhere.

6 minutes ago, Richard said:

Oh, come on, dude, it's everywhere.

I was just wondering what exactly he means with the term "fluffy bow".

6 minutes ago, Richard said:

There is a grandiose ending, JS. You have to think of THE HUNT and THE BLOODING REEL as one track.

I'll give it a try.

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I was just wondering what exactly he means with the term "fluffy bow".

I'll give it a try.

It probably refers to these florid endings that JW is so fond of.

Now...put on TFC, choose THE HUNT, close your eyes, and get carried away with two tracks (or one long track, if you prefer) of brilliance, with just about the most grandiose of grandiose endings that you can imagine.

12 hours ago, crocodile said:

I really don't like his orchestral arrangement of "Face of the Pan", where he steals the tender and soft identity from the film cue by blowing the whole thing up to a faceless concert hall paradigm.

24 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Did anyone buy this set, let alone receive it?

No one could have received it yet, the pressing plants are still making it.

When it went up for sale, they said right away it wasn't scheduled to start shipping until July 30th

The discs, sure, but there are booklets, tray cards, and an outer box to assemble together, with the Varese discs coming in from a different plant than the LLL discs

7 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Is the assembly done at the pressing plants? I thought these niche labels did the assembly themselves.

Are you not watching the Jeff Johnson (Intrada's Shipping Manager) Vlog series? Shame on you!

They arrive complete, assembled and shrinkwrapped from the plant.

Yes I am surprised there has been so little discussion of this on here and FSM so far.

I hope it's a good seller for LLL

My is due to be delivered today but nobody will be there. In the worse case scenario, I'll have it by tomorrow afternoon. Can't wait, I really enjoy the two Goldsmith scores and the first Rosenman one. This might not be the most "crowd-pleasing" music but it is certainly a landmark in film music history and I consider it just as much of an event as Potter or JP sets. :)

Karol

5 hours ago, crocodile said:

I only managed to get through the big booklet and first CD last night. In terms of sound it's wonderful and miles ahead of the old 1997 disc (which was good for its time). It actually sounds like a brand new score now and certainly not like something that's 51 years old! The set looks very nice as well. They took a similar approach as the HP set where the main booklet gives tracks listing, slate numbers, lots of pictures and brief overview of the music and album history by Mike Matessino and each jewel case has its one generous booklet with Jeff Bond's analysis of each score. Can't wait to dive deep into the other four scores and booklets over the weekend. :)

Karol

Good to know. A more close up of the box set pictures would be nice and can you confirm if the box quality is also the same as the HP set. Looks like another High classy production !

2 hours ago, Amer said:

Good to know. A more close up of the box set pictures would be nice and can you confirm if the box quality is also the same as the HP set. Looks like another High classy production !

Yes, it appears to be the same material. It's not embossed or anything though.

Karol

Geez.

On 7/20/2019 at 3:44 PM, Richard said:

Now...put on TFC, choose THE HUNT, close your eyes, and get carried away with two tracks (or one long track, if you prefer) of brilliance, with just about the most grandiose of grandiose endings that you can imagine.

I've now given it a try, but I really don't think that the two tracks combined work as one piece with a unifying arc. It's like one piece followed by another. But I do like the score, and I will purchase it on minidisc when the ultimate expansion is released in the 2030s.

Jeff Bond in the FSM thread: 

Mike Matessino did a magnificent job on the Apes scores. One thing I told him and Neil Bulk while they were working was they could not possibly make the ram's horn too loud in the original POTA. I've never felt it came in strong enough on the previous releases.