Jay

PLANET OF THE APES - Film Series 5CD box set from La-La Land Records (2019)

Surely at least until this set sells out and then some.

On 8/19/2019 at 11:46 AM, Brundlefly said:

Beneath the Planet of the Apes. It is a real chore to listen to and I had the impression that it was an attempt to recreate the weird character of the first score, but it ended up in little more than a stack of weirdness.

Well, the same thing could be said about the movie trying to recapture the first one without any of the depth, so... perfect scoring? ;)

Finished listening to the set. Planet is still head and shoulders and maybe knees and toes above the other scores, but of those, Battle I find the most compelling, right through to the saga closure of that final brass pyramid. Maybe it's at the other end of the budget spectrum from Planet, but Rosenman found a way to give it some real character and bite. Escape's Main Title is classic Goldsmith down to the octatonic sound, perhaps suggesting that modern day Earth isn't going to be any less dystopic than anywhere else in the franchise or the genre of the period. I can't say much about the rest of that score. Beneath doesn't truly come to life for me other than the unforgettably vivid choral harmonies which everyone loves to hate while I genuinely... um, hate love. And that said, I'd never heard the wacked album versions of Beneath which are fun and certainly good for a healthy laugh here and there. It's worth it for me to remember none of this was created to be listened to out of context - it was intended to enhance or promote the sci-fi nature of the visual story and it did (still does?) that effectively. I'm grateful to be able to experience the complete set of scores in a definitive presentation.

I know I'm a little late to the party, but oh...my...effing...good...grief! These POTA samples are brilliant!!!! They make the entire orchestra come alive, and allow the percussion to really breathe and move.

I kind of knew what to expect from the other four scores, as they already sounded great in 5.1, but this is stupendous!

It's amazing what Mike was able to do, indeed.  I can't believe how little discussion this remarkle remaster of this masterpiece score is getting, here or any other forums either.  it's a fantastic release, and the discussion dropped off a cliff almost immediately

41 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's amazing what Mike was able to do, indeed.  I can't believe how little discussion this remarkle remaster of this masterpiece score is getting, here or any other forums either.  it's a fantastic release, and the discussion dropped off a cliff almost immediately

If everything is fine then there's not much to talk about. :)

Karol

I suppose maybe that's part of it, yea.

I guess it's also a score that's been available in complete form for 20 years, the only thing "new" here are overlays that weren't mixed into the cues on the older releases, but no actual missing developments of any themes or anything.

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

I think you could make a strong case for the third score. :) So that would make 2 out of 5. ;)

Oh I actually tend to make a strong case for the third score *and* the fifth score, so that would make 3 out of 5. But not everyone shares my taste.

1 hour ago, Fal J. M. Skywalker said:

I kind of like Battle as a standalone listen more than Goldsmith's first.

I mean...it's probably the most immediately accessible score (if not the most groundbreaking and brilliant) in the original PotA series, so that's understandable, honestly.

Yavar

15 hours ago, Thekthithm said:

I like the second and fourth scores too.

Nobody seemed to whinge that all the HP scores were bunched together in a big "overpriced" boxset.

I definitely noticed some people doing so at the time, but at least that series is all done by one composer, and though Azkaban is quite different from the first two scores, I wouldn't necessarily say there's as wide a stylistic range as there is between the five original PotA scores.

Yavar

44 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I definitely noticed some people doing so at the time, but at least that series is all done by one composer, and though Azkaban is quite different from the first two scores, I wouldn't necessarily say there's as wide a stylistic range as there is between the five original PotA scores.

Yavar

It's all monkey music.

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

dr. zaius dr. zaius

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I love you Dr Zaius! 

Dr. Zaius, Dr. Zaius, 

Come and rock me, Dr. Zaius.

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

i hate every ape i see from chimpan-a to chimpan-zee

Fox the fox. Rat on the rat. You can ape the ape; I know about that...

Don't you monkey, with the monkey!