Will it ever happen?: Mike Matessino's STAR WARS: ORIGINAL TRILOGY Collector's Set

crumbs

Star Wars: The Original Trilogy Collector's Set  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Will it ever happen?

• Yes, after IX, as a tie-in to the inevitable 9-film 4K box set
    • Yes, but years from now, after Disney tests the market with an Indiana Jones box set
    • Yes, but Mike won't be involved... and it will be a complete mess like the Disney Demasters
    • No, they'll release one score at a time, no box sets
    • No, they'll just re-release the OST... again
    • Not for decades. This will be worse than the Sony era

1 hour ago, Fabulin said:

I am on it. Once I finish the official first draft, I will create a separate thread to discuss details. We will need lots of voices within the community to do this right. I think we could even get some FSM-ers and other outsiders on board once we get rolling.

Gimme a couple of days to think and research.

Just make a petition at change.org! My petition to give JW a cameo in TRoS was highly successful!

1 hour ago, Fabulin said:

I am on it. Once I finish the official first draft, I will create a separate thread to discuss details. We will need lots of voices within the community to do this right. I think we could even get some FSM-ers and other outsiders on board once we get rolling.

Gimme a couple of days to think and research.

Thanks Fabulin! I have a couple ideas about how to structure the letter and write an opening paragraph that will help ensure the reader keeps on reading. But I’ll save such comments for the new thread.

I enjoyed the Star Wars movies growing up, but as an adult? Leia in Return of the Jedi, the obvious racial stereotypes portrayed by characters like Nien Numb? The whitewashing of science fiction? They're just too culturally problematic to show to my children. 

4 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Leia in Return of the Jedi

With her coke nail especially!

1 minute ago, Holko said:

With her coke nail especially!

It's her life, her choice! Did her recreational choices impact you in any way? No? Then why act like you know what's best for a woman to live, like I do? I don't give a fuck about that or the sometimes violent and disturbing imagery in these films or any of that shit. I just can't bear to have my children see a woman objectified so brazenly. 

RotJ is very ahead of its time with its portrayal of Weinstein. SW and ESB are actually more problematic with their portrayal of desert savages and ugly working class little people slaves, respectively.

Yeah, yeah, it's a fair point actually. I myself watched Godzilla a few weeks ago and it infuriated me to no end that it had no white people I could empathise with (Raymond Burr cut doesn't count), so I was just bored the whole thing was shit.

1 hour ago, Holko said:

Yeah, yeah, it's a fair point actually. I myself watched Godzilla a few weeks ago and it infuriated me to no end that it had no white people I could empathise with (Raymond Burr cut doesn't count), so I was just bored the whole thing was shit.

Sarcasm aside, obviously someone can see someone of a different race/gender/orientation/etc. and strongly empathize with them. We are all just people.

That being said, if the vast majority of entertainment media around me had never featured many (or sometimes any) instances of sympathetic, capable characters who happened to be white/male/hetero/etc. like me, I can see how that would start to feel like something was wrong systemically, like there was a collective implication (even if completely inadvertent) that people who shared many of my traits were somehow "less than." Especially if in the real world I regularly experienced disrespectful behavior on the basis of those traits - or were at increased risk for violence because of them.

2 hours ago, Datameister said:

Are y'all seriously making fun of folks who want everyone to feel represented in film? What is so wrong with that?

Of course not. The jokes are actually referencing a post from the Indiana Jones thread.

4 minutes ago, Dieter Stark said:

Of course not. The jokes are actually referencing a post from the Indiana Jones thread.

As I recall, the post simply mentioned TOD having racial problems, which is true...or are you referring to another post?

On 7/18/2019 at 11:24 AM, crumbs said:

Are Disney Records able to proceed with expansions of the scores without JW's approval? Couldn't he just refuse to authorize any release that didn't have Matessino producing it, or does Williams effectively have no legal control of the SW scores?

ie. Disney can do whatever they want without gaining his approval (even though it would obviously cost them any working relationship with Williams in the future).

Kathleen Kennedy kind of said she won't do anything about the OT without defer to Lucas.

https://screenrant.com/star-wars-lucasfilm-no-plans-restore-theatrical-cut-original-trilogy/

"I wouldn't touch those, are you kidding me? [laughs] Those will always remain his."

I guess it's safe to say she has the same line of thinking about the music as well. So, when Disney decides to green-light the project, she will definitelly go to JW, which in turn, will go to MMM. What concerns me is how Disney will approach the project. Are they gonna give MM the freedom he has when working with specialty labels?

23 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I wonder if JW approved Kritzerland's The Missouri Breaks.

I don't have this one. Is there anything wrong with it?

Yes, there should be no difference - from a music program standpoint.  Packaging, cover art, liner notes, and the ability to release it digitally/streaming would be what separates this from a boutique label release... not the musical program.

That's a relief (for me, at least). I can live with a packing and cover art not having the special touch we are used to. Not having MM's linear notes wouldn't be cool at all, but I could still live with it. It's a good trade, if it means having more control and freedom about the musical program.

I was affraid that the terms "film version", "alternate" and etc would be too confusing for them. I can imagine them going like "Why does it have 3 versions of the 'same' music here??? Just put what's heard in the film and that's it. Go back to your cell!"

38 minutes ago, phbart said:

I don't have this one. Is there anything wrong with it?

Not that I know, except for bad contrast between the font and the background picture for the tracklisting on the back cover! :)

4 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Not that I know, except for bad contrast between the font and the background picture for the tracklisting on the back cover! :)

I see. I thought it was a sound quality problem.

Or a music they didn't include from the Universal "Missouri Breaks" ride... case they have one.

9 hours ago, Datameister said:

As I recall, the post simply mentioned TOD having racial problems, which is true...or are you referring to another post?

What racial problems? 

1 hour ago, Arpy said:

What racial problems? 

Do you not find that the film's most notable portrayals of Indian culture, cuisine, and religious practices are inaccurate and insulting? When you've got a group of people who've often been discriminated against or reduced to stereotypes, it seems pretty unhelpful to build your film around making them the cruel, grotesque "other." (This is where some people bring up the Nazis. But people chose - choose :( - to become part of that group, whose ideology is the very definition of grotesque cruelty.)

That's flatly untrue @Datameister there was the Thuggee cult that were the main antagonists.

What of the village of Indian people who alerted Indy to the Cult's villainy and that their children had been kidnapped and forced into child slavery? 

In either case, it's a fictional portrayal of a particular culture, in a particular time. 

Okay... so, anyway...

After evaluating the spectograms, it appears Disney reused the existing OST master (possibly even the Sony scan) for the Jabba the Hutt concert suite. Are we to presume that master tape is indeed lost, as speculated years ago?

22 minutes ago, Arpy said:

That's flatly untrue @Datameister there was the Thuggee cult that were the main antagonists.

What of the village of Indian people who alerted Indy to the Cult's villainy and that their children had been kidnapped and forced into child slavery? 

In either case, it's a fictional portrayal of a particular culture, in a particular time. 

It's a fictional portrayal of a culture that never existed at any time.

The wildly inaccurate portrayal of the Thugs isn't the only problem. The dinner scene is pretty cringe-worthy, too. And not because I'm grossed out, but because it's like, "Haha, look, Indians eat monkey brains and big-ass beetles, aren't they weird." That's the tone that comes across. I'm aware of some assertions that it was meant to be ironic - that they were only serving that food to make fun of their visitors' misconceptions - but I'm not entirely convinced that was the intention, nor do I think the final cut of the film reads that way at all.

The villagers are certainly a lot more sympathetic, but they're just in the film briefly to set up the main adventure. I don't think they're the average moviegoer's main memory of the Indian people in the film. The big heroes are Indy and the British colonialists who save the day. Yikes.

It's all well and good to write fiction, but a lot of people don't like being on the receiving end of that sort of othering, especially when it inflames existing stereotypes and injustices. Fiction helps subtly shape real-world attitudes. No one's going to start lowering people into pits of lava after watching a film like this because it's obviously wrong, but we've all got at least some degree of subconscious racial bias, and this sort of thing can subtly strengthen that, especially in the absence of substantive exposure to the culture being fictionalized.

Anyway, yes, I believe the most recent information we have is that the full original recording of that suite is lost, @crumbs. It's too bad. I'd really like the whole thing to be on a future release.

16 minutes ago, Datameister said:

Anyway, yes, I believe the most recent information we have is that the full original recording of that suite is lost, @crumbs. It's too bad. I'd really like the whole thing to be on a future release.

That is thoroughly shit news. But if I trusted anyone to find it, it's gotta be Mike. Same with the bloody Max Rebo source music.

The real headfuck with ROTJ is how you even present a comprehensive expanded release of that score now. Between the original version and special editions, you have so many differing versions of cues (mostly source music) but even the revised finale is different in the film version compared to the SE. Even more annoyingly, the true film version of Ewok Celebration wasn't even included on the Anthology set (despite having a cue designated 'Film Version'!) so who knows how that will be handled... Mike's got his work cut out for him.

Seeing Max Rebo grooving on the red ball jett organ inspired me to play the organ. For that reason I have a very strong personal and emotional connection to Max. Plus, he's pretty darn cute!

image.jpeg