Did you get the recent Expanded Soundtracks of Jaws and Superman?

Josh500

Did you get these recent expanded soundtracks of Jaws and Superman?   

56 members have voted

1. 1. Jaws and Superman

• Jaws (Intrada)
    • Jaws 2 (Intrada)
    • Jaws 3-D (Intrada)
    • Jaws: The Revenge
    • Superman The Movie (La-La Land)
    • Superman II & III (La-La Land)
    • Superman IV The Quest for Peace (La-La Land)

1 hour ago, Thor said:

No, it isn't. I'm just not that into "individual tracks". For me, the only thing that matters is how the whole album plays out as a singular listening experience. "The Big Rescue" could probably have been inserted into the OST programme somewhere without creating too much havoc, but the album is perfect without it too. All's fine.

Thor, I totally understand you, and I say that sincerely.

Everyone understands his POV.  It's not some great mystery, I'm even sympathetic to them in certain cases.  It's his dogmatism and inability to understand why other people like expansions that's bothersome and irritating.  He didn't have to weigh in on this thread, we all know his views.

17 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

It's his dogmatism and inability to understand why other people like expansions that's bothersome and irritating.

I don't think I've ever expressed such a sentiment. Even though I don't share such a form of enjoyment, I can perfectly well understand -- rationally -- how someone finds pleasure in soundtrack presentations that way. I understand it, and I disagree with it. No, if anything, the opposite is true, with all the forehead-slapping and personal quips I get thrown my way every time. Talk about a low tolerance level for a different form of soundtrack enjoyment, such a trivial thing in the scheme of things!

He didn't have to weigh in on this thread, we all know his views.

I don't have to weigh in on anything, but I thought a few comments about one's purchase/ownership history in relation to the titles and various releases in question was relevant to the topic at hand.

5 minutes ago, Thor said:

I don't think I've ever expressed such a sentiment. Even though I don't share such a form of enjoyment, I can perfectly well understand -- rationally -- how someone finds pleasure in soundtrack presentations that way. If anything, the opposite is true, with all the forehead-slapping and personal quips I get thrown my way every time. Talk about a low tolerance level for a different form of soundtrack enjoyment, such a trivial thing in the scheme of things!

I don't have to weigh in on anything, but I thought a few comments about one's purchase/ownership history in relation to the titles and various releases in question was relevant to the topic at hand.

I prefer OSTs  to expansions in many, many cases, but I also don't think it's a subject worthy of debating or remarking upon.  I'm happy for people to be able to listen to a score in whatever form they find most satisfying.  I tire of seeing the same back and forth over years and years.  Don't you?  It seems almost ritualistic at a certain point.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

I prefer OSTs  to expansions in many, many cases, but I also don't think it's a subject worthy of debating or remarking upon.  I'm happy for people to be able to listen to a score in whatever form they find most satisfying.  I tire of seeing the same back and forth over years and years.  Don't you?  It seems almost ritualistic at a certain point.

It's because it's such a fundamental question within our small niche. It's about our pathway into soundtracks, the way we cognitively listen to music, one's adherence to film over music etc. So no wonder the topic appears over and over again. As Mr. Smith would say: "It's inevitable".

18 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Everyone understands his POV.  It's not some great mystery, I'm even sympathetic to them in certain cases.  It's his dogmatism and inability to understand why other people like expansions that's bothersome and irritating.  He didn't have to weigh in on this thread, we all know his views.

6 minutes ago, Thor said:

with all the forehead-slapping and personal quips I get thrown my way every time. 

That's what I wanted to address with my comment. Yes, the overall debate is so worn out you couldn't even use it for lounging shoes, but scrolling by on this thread some of the responses to an aspect I actually haven't seen really discussed seemed a little aggressive or extreme, and I wanted to let Thor know that there are times where I feel the same about the specific thing he was talking about here, I don't think it's incredulous.

It sort of becomes an album vs single tracks preference-based debate. I'm usually more of a single track person.

I just struggle understanding a mentality where, if a track is absolutely awesome but doesn't fit perfectly somewhere in an existing album arrangement, that track is permanently discarded, never to be listened to again.

The number of times I've watched a film and one or two cues leap out at me. I have a folder with hundreds of tracks like that.

8 minutes ago, Thor said:

It's because it's such a fundamental question within our small niche. It's about our pathway into soundtracks, the way we cognitively listen to music, one's adherence to film over music etc. So no wonder the topic appears over and over again. As Mr. Smith would say: "It's inevitable".

Ultimately I want it to be easy for people to listen to film music they like in a form they like, whether that's an OST, an official expansion, or a custom assembly/playlist.  It's why I don't like expansions that don't include OST assemblies and it's why I don't like releases that are CD-only or vinyl-only or digital-only.

I apologize for focusing only on your side of the debate in my irritability, though.  People repeatedly picking at your individual opinions are just as annoying to me.

8 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Ultimately I want it to be easy for people to listen to film music they like in a form they like, whether that's an OST, an official expansion, or a custom assembly/playlist.  It's why I don't like expansions that don't include OST assemblies and it's why I don't like releases that are CD-only or vinyl-only or digital-only.

That's a sympathetic view, and I agree. I don't want expansions eradicated from the face of the earth, I just want CHOICE from the get-go. What does annoy me a little bit with the 'expansion craze', however, is something tangential to the releases themselves -- that most debates in forums now are about what they want expanded; this or that, or call-outs for titles to get released, as if they never had an OST in the first place. It's somehow marginalizing the discussion climate, and it's changed considerably in the last 15-20 years. There used to be a time when someone posted about a score, people would discuss its merits on purely musical terms as they were available on the OST. But now, because it's become so common, it doesn't take more than a post or two before someone posts "we need this expanded -- now!" or something like that. I think that's one of the main reasons why I don't post as much in forums anymore.

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

That's a sympathetic view, and I agree. I don't want expansions eradicated from the face of the earth, I just want CHOICE from the get-go. What does annoy me a little bit with the 'expansion craze', however, is something tangential to the releases themselves -- that most debates in forums now are about what they want expanded; this or that, or call-outs for titles to get released, as if they never had an OST in the first place. It's somehow marginalizing the discussion climate, and it's changed considerably in the last 15-20 years. There used to be a time when someone posted about a score, people would discuss its merits on purely musical terms. But now, because it's become so common, it doesn't take more than a post or two before someone posts "we need this expanded -- now!" or something like that. I think that's one of the main reasons why I don't post as much in forums anymore.

Bottlecap mentality!  Yes, forums like this would always benefit from more music discussion, less soundtrack-as-consumer-product discussion.  Of course I also think music discussion should not be limited to what a composer chooses to include on an OST, though.....

Just now, Disco Stu said:

Bottlecap mentality!  Yes, forums like this would always benefit from more music discussion, less soundtrack-as-consumer-product discussion.  Of course I also think music discussion should not be limited to what a composer chooses to include on an OST, though.....

Oh, definitely. Discussing musical aspects of cues not available on the soundtrack is fine too -- if someone knows the film in and out.

Yes, because every score in the film sounds pritine, is perfectly mixed, not almost inaudible at all, nothing is dialed out, chopped up, tracked all over the place, every filmmaker respects the composer's vision completely.

Is this the point we bring up that Morricone quote in which he says (paraphrased) that he "fires directors he's unhappy with!"?

Oh, good ol' Ennio.

The modern utopia started to take shape with Alien back in '79. Goldsmith--bless him--just couldn't properly score the film without the guiding, benevolent hands of Ridley Scott and Terry Rawlings. You can't blame Goldsmith, of course, he was like a child, simply too ignorant and unaware of how to correctly score a film. Scott and Rawlings, though strict at times, knew they had to use their discerning judgment and wisdom, like parents, to help Goldsmith find the right track.

Film composers now are so much more mature: now they can do what the directors want without even being told.

• 4 weeks later...