Godzilla: The Showa Era 15 disc blu-ray set

Ollie

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Godzilla-The-Showa-Era-Blu-ray/248527/

Awhile back Criterion acquired the rights to more of the Godzilla movies. This box set has been rumored to be in the works. 

Looks like (hopefully) we’ll finally be getting the Japanese version of King Kong vs Godzilla.

Apparently there’s massive uproar amongst the Godzilla community. It appears Criterion is not going to be able to include the US versions, with exception of King Kong vs Godzilla and Godzilla KOTM (1956). Only 6 of the films will have the international dubs that Toho themselves made and the transfers are taken from the 2008 Toho Blu-rays, which are apparently not very good, transfer wise. 

Criterion has said they did some tweaking to the sources given to them. I personally have not seen any of the 2008 Blu-ray Discs. The only two Showa blu-rays I have are criterion’s release of Gojira (1954) and classic media’s Destroy All Monsters. The latter almost looks like a soap opera at times. The rest of my collection are the standard dvds that both Sony and Classic Media released. 

I really don’t care about dubs. They’re terrible and I don’t watch them anymore. The only drawback is we’re not getting the extra footage shot of the US attack on Godzilla from Mothra vs Godzilla and I’m not sure if Monster Zero’s international dub has Nick Adams voice.

i get a headache trying to go through all the conversations regarding all the dubbed versions that exist. I believe Toho just wants to keep the international ones they commissioned.  

• 4 weeks later...

So Criterion will be releasing this in the UK. How does that normally work region-wise? I have it on preorder at Amazon US, but will that US edition also be Region B compatible? Or will I need to cancel that order and re-order it from Amazon UK instead? Do they manufacture them differently for the UK?

5 hours ago, Thekthithm said:

So Criterion will be releasing this in the UK. How does that normally work region-wise? I have it on preorder at Amazon US, but will that US edition also be Region B compatible? Or will I need to cancel that order and re-order it from Amazon UK instead? Do they manufacture them differently for the UK?

Criterion, take all my money :worship:

This is the first time these films will have been released in the UK (apart from the English version of King Kong vs Godzilla)..

It will be region locked, so you'll have to order it from Amazon UK, but make sure it's not an import.

Just now, Holko said:

Any chance of just the first one coming to the UK on its own? Preferably before Brexit :D

You mean the 1954 one? We already have it. The BFI released it.

• 2 months later...

Was finally able to spot the Region B edition on eBay, so I preordered that. I confirmed with the seller that it really was what it said it was. Inflated price because of that stupid British Pound to Australian Dollar exchange rate, but whatevs.

This is exciting! Some of these movies I've never seen, like Godzilla Raids Again, and the Japanese versions of King Kong vs Godzilla, Mothra vs Godzilla, Ghidrah the Three-Headed Monster, Godzilla vs Gigan, Godzilla vs Megalon and Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla.

Anything priced in GBP is doubled in AUD. It's so goddamn ridiculous. A cd priced at 35 pounds is 70 dollars, before shipping is applied.

4 hours ago, Thekthithm said:

Inflated price because of that stupid British Pound to Australian Dollar exchange rate, but whatevs.

At first I thought there was a slight typo in the thread title and that this was about a release of the late 70s animated show, and then thought '15 discs? HOW?!?' 

I see I was mistaken, although the show in question would indeed fail to stretch to 15 discs ... it ran for a grand total of 2 seasons :lol: . 

On 10/27/2019 at 2:29 AM, Thekthithm said:

Was finally able to spot the Region B edition on eBay, so I preordered that. I confirmed with the seller that it really was what it said it was. Inflated price because of that stupid British Pound to Australian Dollar exchange rate, but whatevs.

This is exciting! Some of these movies I've never seen, like Godzilla Raids Again, and the Japanese versions of King Kong vs Godzilla, Mothra vs Godzilla, Ghidrah the Three-Headed Monster, Godzilla vs Gigan, Godzilla vs Megalon and Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla.

Godzilla Raids Again sucks. Looks like Godzilla is buried in a pile of icing sugar. 

11 hours ago, Thekthithm said:

Sources used over the years for King Kong vs Godzilla were never that great to begin with as I believe the original material Toho had was suspect or lost.

However, I believe Toho was able to locate the original elements and struck a 4K print but would not provide it for Criterion to use. 

2 minutes ago, Mr. Manfrenjensenden said:

However, I believe Toho was able to locate the original elements and struck a 4K print but would not provide it for Criterion to use. 

Why is Toho so bloody precious about providing transfers to Criterion? Don't they want their movies to look as good as possible? Or is that privilege reserved only for Japanese consumers? Like a Super Famicom game that was better than the shitty US Nintendo version?

Word is Toho wants to do their 4K (and / or Blu-ray) release separately. 

Looking at screen caps taken from the Criterion set, they don’t appear to have the bluish look that the Toho Blu-rays and Kraken releases had, nor do they have the slight cropping either. The images look a bit more natural but not as good as they could have been. 

Amazon US and Barnes and Noble have it marked down to $112.49. Plus, if you are a Barnes and Noble member, you’ll get another 10% off. 

• 1 month later...