Matessino / Spielberg / Williams - 2019 Expansions

crumbs

Matessino / Spielberg / Williams  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Which Spielberg/Williams score(s) will Mike expand before year's end?

This poll is closed to new votes

I bumped the other thread but it was over a year old, so let's start a new thread instead!

As we move into the second half of 2019, Mike has yet to unveil his latest Spielberg/Williams, and the list of options grows thin (thanks to prohibitive licensing fees and the acquisition of Lucasfilm by Disney). Realistically, these are the only remaining Williams/Spielberg scores available for LLL in the near future:

• Sugarland Express (which Williams vetoed two years ago)
  • Always
  • Hook (which might be impossible now due to Sony's new policy on third-party licensing)
  • Amistad
  • Minority Report (which had a recording session leak)
  • Catch Me If You Can
  • The Terminal
  • War of the Worlds (which had a recording session leak)

For three consecutive years we've received two Spielberg/Williams expansions, and at least one during the last five years. So all things considered, what do you expect in the next 4 months?

FWIW, this year's anniversaries include Always (30th), Sugarland Express (45th) and The Terminal (15th). It's also worth remembering that labels have recently prioritized the expansion of 20th Century Fox titles, given the potential complications of Disney's acquisition (which I believe Minority Report falls under).

So my money is on at least two of those four titles before year's end... though one might depend on Mike's powers of persuasion.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

For three consecutive years we've received two Spielberg/Williams expansions, and at least one during the last five years. So all things considered, what do you expect in the next 4 months?

Of those listed, Amistad and War of the Worlds are the scores I'm hoping for. Hopes aside, I wouldn't be surprised if there are no more releases this year.

The number of releases in the last couple of years has no relation to the number of releases this year.

Also, it sadly sounds like LLL is going through a bit of a rough patch. From Film Score Monthly earlier today....

To be perfectly honest with you I have no idea when anything is coming out any more. I have thrown in the towel. I haven't a clue when things will be approved. I mean, hell -- Chilling Adventure of Sabrina was supposed to be done for April! We can't get any Sony Music titles repressed because they moved to another manufacturing plant and lost everyone's booklets and trays. WEA moved to another plant and we can't even get in our repressings of Superman and Harry Potter because no one knows what happened to the cds they supposedly sent to us!

And don't get me started on approvals and contracts! I swear, this is the year that everything seems to have gone to BLEEP! Thank god for a stellar Black Friday slate last year and an awesome 1st quarter of leftover 2018 titles that have let us glide through this crazy new release slate relatively unscathed, financially speaking. Apes set really helped us out when we needed it, but as of right now we have nothing coming out for sure except the Orville S1 LP which will be Aug 13.

BTW, there is no July 30 release.

Minority Report is my favorite score of those listed, but of course there's the session leak.  I'd love an official release, and who knows what alternates there might be.

So given the leak of that, Amistad would be my most desired.  Catch Me If You Can would be cool, but honestly Escapades is amazing and kind of all I need.

As for what releases I think will happen, how the heck would I know???  I don't pretend to be nor am I interested in being some kind of industry insider.

Voted for Always & Sugarland Express.  Here's another tidbit from MV, do any of these titles in the poll qualify under UME?

As for UME we are waiting for business affairs to get licenses in order so that's the hold up with the 10 titles we have brewing there right now.

MV

We can't get any Sony Music titles repressed because they moved to another manufacturing plant and lost everyone's booklets and trays. WEA moved to another plant and we can't even get in our repressings of Superman and Harry Potter because no one knows what happened to the cds they supposedly sent to us!

This is disturbing, to say the least. The big companies definitely don't give a damn about their own assets.

They made these not-so-necessary expansions of Saving Private Ryan and Schindler's List*, so they should finally come up with Amistad, which falls into the same category regarding the license situation.

*I mean, there was not one entirely new cue on both releases!

Amistad is in a different category to either score. It has a stack of unreleased music, at least 45 minutes that we know about, probably further alternates that we don't, etc.

Here's a [potentially] helpful table of outstanding SS/JW releases to peruse over, with some notes about anniversaries and such.

image.png

In a perfect world, if Mike can cover a mix of Always/Sugarland/Terminal/Minority Report this year, that leaves War of the Worlds (15th anniversary) for next year, an Indiana Jones box set (40th anniversary of Raiders) for 2021, then Catch Me If You Can (20th) and Amistad (25th) for 2022.

Yeah, I'm really digging WotW now. Both movie and music are fantastic. I've come around; when this movie first came out I was less than blown away. Hard to believe this is already 14 years old! 

3 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

I thought that would qualify for the 'something else' option.

Nah, the Something Else category was for something SS/JW worked on that wasn't on the list, like that America documentary music, or even one of the so-called 'prohibitively expensive' scores. 

13 hours ago, Matt S. said:

Why are you limiting the choices to Spielberg films?

Because the topic is specifically about Spielberg film scores, and the fact that both John's and Steven's managements have been supportive of these expansions lately, so the likelihood of receiving 1 or 2 expansions every year is high for the foreseeable future. 

Including options for every Williams score Mike has yet to tackle would be too vague and have too many options.

Perhaps they'll release Kingdom of the Crystal Skull to coincide with the Storm Area 51 event? That's where I'm placing my bets!

Seems like whatever CD pressing plant they were using has changed, but a bunch of CDs pressed at the previous plant have gone missing. Disconcerting news, to put it mildly.

I love the score to Amistad, but all the highlights are already on the OST album, aren't they? Can't think of a must have cue still missing.... 

I find everyone of John's scores plays better in expanded form than OST arrangement.  The man just writes so much great music for every project he's hired for, it's always worth obtaining it all

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I find everyone of John's scores plays better in expanded form than OST arrangement.  The man just writes so much great music for every project he's hired for, it's always worth obtaining it all

I love getting the complete scores just to own all the music (especially if a particularly good cue or cues are missing on the OST albums), but that's all. 

As for listening experience, for me at least, it can go both ways. I often don't have the time and energy to listen to the complete scores of, say, Empire of the Sun or even E.T. or Jaws from beginning to end. Oftentimes the highlights on the OST albums are sufficient to satisfy my immediate needs.