Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Fargo

"The 20 Best Movie Scores of the Decade" - Indiewire

Recommended Posts

Link: 

 

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/07/best-movie-music-2010s-film-score-1202161174/

 

List:

 

  1. Phantom Thread
  2. Carol
  3. The Revenant
  4. The Social Network
  5. Interstellar
  6. The Handmaiden
  7. Under the Skin
  8. If Beale Street Could Talk
  9. Cloud Atlas
  10. You Were Never Really Here
  11. Good Time
  12. Swiss Army Man
  13. Beasts of the Southern Wild
  14. Jane Eyre
  15. First Man
  16. Belle
  17. A Ghost Story
  18. The Tree of Life
  19. Childhood of a Leader
  20. Mudbound

 

Thoughts:

 

lol

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I REALLY like these movies:

 

Carol
Under the Skin
 

I liked these movies:

 

The Revenant
The Social Network
Interstellar
Swiss Army Man
 

I have not seen these movies:

 

Phantom Thread
The Handmaiden
If Beale Street Could Talk
Cloud Atlas
You Were Never Really Here
Good Time
Beasts of the Southern Wild
Jane Eyre
First Man
Belle
A Ghost Story
The Tree of Life
Childhood of a Leader
Mudbound

 

 

I guess I need to see more movies

 

 

Other indie movies I liked this decade include

 

Blue Ruin

Boyhood

We Need To Talk About Kevin

Blue Is The Warmest Color

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haha, I just noticed this article was about scores, not the films themselves.  My prior post was talking about the films, not scores, woops!

 

Looking over this list, I don't really like any of these scores, though Under The Skin was very effective in the film itself (haven't been compelled to listen to it outside the film though)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well since the source of the article is IndieWire, I suppose its supposed to be talking about scores to Indie Movies, or at least scores by Indie Composers (since Social Network isn't an Indie Movie, but Trent Reznor is not a traditional film composer)... or something

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And here's the Top 10 according to the public (netizens/audiophiles):

 

1. Jonny Greenwood - Phantom Thread

2. Hans Zimmer - Interstellar

3. Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross - The Social Network

4. Abel Korzeniowski - A Single Man

5. Nicholas Britell - If Beale Street Could Talk

6. John Powell - How to Train Your Dragon

7. Kensuke Ushio - Girls, Dance, Staircase

8. Jonny Greenwood - The Master

9. Masakatsu Takagi - Wolf Children

10. Nicholas Britell - Moonlight

 

rym

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Jay said:

Well since the source of the article is IndieWire, I suppose its supposed to be talking about scores to Indie Movies, or at least scores by Indie Composers (since Social Network isn't an Indie Movie, but Trent Reznor is not a traditional film composer)... or something

 

Nah I get it...but Interstellar and Hans Zimmer are not indie and neither are a few of the other movies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ferdinand

How to Train Your Dragon

How to Train Your Dragon 2

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World

Solo: A Star Wars Story

The Monkey King

The Monkey King 2

Priest

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

Adventures of Tintin: Secret of the Unicorn

 

Yer welcome! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jay said:

Haha, I just noticed this article was about scores, not the films themselves.  My prior post was talking about the films, not scores, woops!

 

I made the same mistake.

 

The The First Man score was excellent (aside from the too meta docking waltz). Interstellar is certainly among Zimmer's best. And I'm very fond of Cloud Atlas.

 

Only seen & heard a few others on the list, and while they all supported their films well, I wouldn't have picked any of them for a list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Arpy said:

Under the Skin being mentioned in all these lists is getting under my skin.

Why, Arp? It's a very good score, from a stunning film.

 

 

 

 

15 hours ago, Alex said:

Is it possible to fight a list?

Of course it is. Lists are only extended opinions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I loved the visuals of the film, what I can recall at least, but I can't remember one thing about the score other than feeling slightly irritated by it when watching the film. I've attempted to listen to it removed from the context of the film and it does nothing for me, it doesn't stir any emotions within me.

 

Then seeing everyone spew rainbows about the score, overshadowing other contemporary works like it was revolutionary because it was 'different' is such a puzzling experience. 

 

Just like The Social Network which robbed the accolades of superior scores of the same year, How to Train Your Dragon and Inception. The Social Network is a whole score devised of non-descript rhythms and is completely soulless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Just like The Social Network which robbed the accolades of superior scores of the same year, How to Train Your Dragon and Inception. The Social Network is a whole score devised of non-descript rhythms and is completely soulless.

 

But the kids love it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To me the list represents a measure of how much I've disengaged from avid soundtrack listening as a hobby, because I couldn't tell you whether 99% of those listed are good or bad. I've literally only heard Interstellar, which funnily enough I rate very highly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Quintus said:

To me the list represents a measure of how much I've disengaged from avid soundtrack listening as a hobby, because I couldn't tell you whether 99% of those listed are good or bad. I've literally only heard Interstellar, which funnily enough I rate very highly.

 

There are still some nuggets but you really have to watch out for them, and then it's not the stuff the get the old 80's juices flowing. But good music there is, as i was reminded today when listening to some choice pieces of Desplat's Brothers Sisters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only Phantom Thread, Carol and Handmaiden out of the list seem like traditional orchestral scores. And even among them the first 2 are more like chamber ensembles rather than full orchestral symphonic scores.

 

So there is definitely a hippie bias to the list - against the traditional old school Hollywood sound.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/26/2019 at 9:21 PM, Fargo said:

Link: 

 

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/07/best-movie-music-2010s-film-score-1202161174/

 

List:

 

  1. Phantom Thread
  2. Carol
  3. The Revenant
  4. The Social Network
  5. Interstellar
  6. The Handmaiden
  7. Under the Skin
  8. If Beale Street Could Talk
  9. Cloud Atlas
  10. You Were Never Really Here
  11. Good Time
  12. Swiss Army Man
  13. Beasts of the Southern Wild
  14. Jane Eyre
  15. First Man
  16. Belle
  17. A Ghost Story
  18. The Tree of Life
  19. Childhood of a Leader
  20. Mudbound

 

Thoughts:

 

lol

 

 

Well, I've seen all these films and heard all the scores. It has some pretty good selections, but also quite a few I find overrated -- both films and scores. As it should be with any list. It's a definite Indiewire list, though, it probably departs from most 'score fans' lists, which tend to be more conservative and Hollywood-centric.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...