Martin Scorsese’s THE IRISHMAN (2019)

mrbellamy

Joe Pesci has only done 2 films since otherwise retiring from acting after 1998's Lethal Weapon 4.  Would he really come back for another one now?

Probably not for anybody but Scorsese. Supposedly the three of them are definitely committed to it, I've seen DeNiro bringing it up a lot lately on talk shows.

DeNiro is a cliche. He plays himself

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2016 at 6:10 PM, mrbellamy said:

Martin Scorsese's long-rumored The Irishman may be finally coming together.

Would star Robert DeNiro, Al Pacino, and Joe Pesci

On 5/7/2016 at 7:06 PM, Jay said:

Joe Pesci has only done 2 films since otherwise retiring from acting after 1998's Lethal Weapon 4.  Would he really come back for another one now?

Well, turns out Pesci's (probably) not doing it after all.

But one question mark is the involvement of Joe Pesci. Sources say Pesci, who largely has retired from the film business, repeatedly has told Scorsese no, but the director remains hopeful that he can lure back his Goodfellas star.

• 1 year later...
1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

The only thing that's missing is an actual Irish man.

It's mostly about an Italian mafia family connected to the Teamsters, but De Niro is supposed to be playing an Irish American who was a hitman for that Italian mob.

The real question is: can De Niro make a convincing anything?  I recently watched that new HBO movie about Bernie Madoff and I thought De Niro was really not good.

Just because De Niro likes a paycheck, doesn't mean he's lost his talent. I really liked his performance in Silver Linings Playbook. I think it depends on what the role is. 

Either way, this is Scorsese we're talking about. As long as he steers far away from the style of Wolf Of Wall Street I'll be happy. 

16 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Wolf of Wall Street is a masterpiece 

Masterpiece, it certainly ain't. But it's fun.

2 minutes ago, KK said:

Masterpiece, it certainly ain't. But it's fun.

I think it's one of the most important movies about American society/culture of recent memory.  Like a horrible, grotesque, but guiltily hilarious mirror.

7 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I think it's one of the most important movies about American society/culture of recent memory.  Like a horrible, grotesque, but guiltily hilarious mirror.

It's just obnoxious. 

• 6 months later...

That's how Disney likes it, Drax.

Anyhoo ... The poster for Scorsese's The Irishman ... (that's already three movies on Netflix that I wanna see)

ft-449215-555x824.jpg

A Scorsese straight to TV. And the dark ages of film have just begun. 

It has a "noir-ish" tone to it. The film has a reported running time of 185 minutes, so plenty for people to get their teeth into...one hopes...

Does Netflix not release theactrially? Does it not have a distribution deal?

Honestly, though: De Nero, Pacino, Pesci, Scorsese, and Schoonmaker. What's not to like?

• 10 months later...

Netflix decided to release Scorsese's The Irishman in theatres.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/the-irishman-release-date-netflix-robert-de-niro-martin-scorsese-cinema-a8664486.html

MV5BNzE3YTVmZWYtNzkyOS00MDM3LTlkNWYtNDUx

Scorsese talks at the Marrakech Film Festival:

Martin Scorsese: “People such as Netflix are taking risks. ‘The Irishman’ is a risky film. No one else wanted to fund the pic for five to seven years. And of course we’re all getting older. Netflix took the risk.”

https://variety.com/2018/film/global/martin-scorsese-the-irishman-netflix-1203073076/

• 7 months later...

Any word on who is scoring this? Or if anyone is scoring it? Can never tell with Scorsese if it'll be needle drops or Howard Shore or both. There was a spell there from Gangs of New York to Hugo where Marty was using Howard on every film. Then on Silence he went with a Japense composer. 

Hopefully Howard Shore gets the call. I just don't understand why that man doesn't get more work. I mean, no blockbusters at all? No Marvel movies? Nothing? Just little indie dramas. Is he difficult to work with? Or does he cost too much? I just don't get it. I thought after LOTR he would become HUGE. But come on? A Twilight sequel? That's all? I'd kill to hear a Howard Shore superhero theme.